What's the benifit's of learning every scale in every position. I have a dvd that has 50 plus scale's and three posistion's for each one.
Well if you know a scale in multiple places on the fretboard that's more places you can solo or riff in.

I would say though that positions and such are the wrong way to look at scales, the scales exist all over the fretboard and the various positions are just incidental, you're much better off learning scales as sets of notes and learning the notes of the fretboard than you are learning positions or whatever.

Also, if you really know your theory... you will almost certainly never need 50 scales, you only really need to specifically learn two, maybe three scales and as long as you learn them really well you don't need to know anything else because you can use other methods to get the notes you want.

Finally: rote memorisation of scales is somewhere between not a good idea and just a flat out bad idea. There's no point knowing a scale if you don't know how to use it and to know how to use it you need to know much more than just a physical way of playing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 4, 2011,
knowledge

knowing more scales means you know more things you can add to your playing
Well yes I know I won't need that many, I was just wondering if there was any benefits from learning them all even if I don't use them all. Also I play metal/metalcore anything metal. So which scales would I need to learn for those genere's?
Quote by Austin174
Well yes I know I won't need that many, I was just wondering if there was any benefits from learning them all even if I don't use them all. Also I play metal/metalcore anything metal. So which scales would I need to learn for those genre's?

What I said above applies to any and every genre: you can easily make all the sounds in the world with a solid understanding of the major, natural minor and minor pentatonic scales. Mark my words though, you do need to really understand them before you can use them to get all the sounds you need. In fact I'm convinced that if you really understand the major scale that's all you'll ever need in theory terms and everything else is just muscle memory for faster playing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Austin174
Well yes I know I won't need that many, I was just wondering if there was any benefits from learning them all even if I don't use them all. Also I play metal/metalcore anything metal. So which scales would I need to learn for those genere's?

Different guitarists/bands use different scales.
Quote by xicetraex
Different guitarists/bands use different scales.

No they don't. There are 12 different notes in western music, you really think that it's the notes they use that changes how they sound?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ok. I think I understand what you are saying. In order to make the sounds I want I need to know an understand the meaning first then use a scale/notes in a scale as a reference point. Correct me if I'm wrong I am still learning my theory an scales at the same time.
Quote by Austin174
Ok. I think I understand what you are saying. In order to make the sounds I want I need to know an understand the meaning first then use a scale/notes in a scale as a reference point. Correct me if I'm wrong I am still learning my theory an scales at the same time.

I think you're basically getting the right idea, yes. Basically what I said above is true, there are only 12 notes and likely all the music you have ever heard is made up of those 12 notes (unless you listen to a lot of eastern music or some quarter-tonal compositions). It's what you do with those 12 notes that makes all the difference.

But also in terms of theory, everything derives from the major scale. EVERYTHING. So if you really understand that and you have a solid knowledge of and ear for intervals then you don't really need to know anything else in theory terms because everything refers back to that. Knowing the major scale really well will make anything you could ever want to learn so much easier it's not even funny.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well I learned something new already from this thread. Sometime's I wanna ask something if I can't find it but then sometime's it's hard for me to understand what someone is saying cause of my ADHD, but the way you explained it made alot of sense.
To TS:

What DVD do you have???
I'm in need of something like that.

Or if anyone can point me to a web site or a good book with a barrel full of scales for me to learn.

Please reply.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by NHECOS
To TS:

What DVD do you have???
I'm in need of something like that.

Or if anyone can point me to a web site or a good book with a barrel full of scales for me to learn.

Please reply.

Read the rest of the thread. You don't need new scales, you need to learn the old ones better.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Read the rest of the thread. You don't need new scales, you need to learn the old ones better.

What old ones???
How do you the ones I already know?

I'm a noob ok... I want to learn the basic scales because I still don't know them.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
MILF Tease
Quote by NHECOS
What old ones???
How do you the ones I already know?

I'm a noob ok... I want to learn the basic scales because I still don't know them.

You need to learn one scale and as long as you learn it well enough you can do anything with it: the major scale.

Until you know that well you probably won't be able to use the others to their fullest anyway.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jayx124
Don't you will be wasting you time, IMHO you should learn the pentatonic/blues, major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished and augmented.

Any good source for those scales that you can recommend me?
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
MILF Tease
Quote by NHECOS
Any good source for those scales that you can recommend me?

http://tinyurl.com/2w6bde2

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I have the Rock House Method leads & riffs bullet for my valentine edition dvd, I also have the easy guitar scales an easy guitar theory dvds by Mark John Sternal. They are really good dvds I think I just need to start them again.
Quote by yngwie66698
The Guitar Grimore is great for scales.

It's great for a bunch of diagrams but unless you already know theory and therefore don't need it anyway you're not going to get much that's of use from it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GNJinsh
Zaphod_Beeblebr,

Can you recommend any books/DVDs to learn theory?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns

and I think Freepower has a couple of videos up on youtube that cover the basics of the basics if you need that as well.

Go through the lessons in order and make sure you understand each part before moving on, theory is built on solid knowledge of the foundations so if you don't understand that stuff you either won't get or will get wrong the stuff that comes after it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.