Hey, i recently made a purchase of some instrument cable and aload of 1/4" jacks. However im abit of a noob when it comes to these kinda things so i wanted to know if there is a specific kind of solder thats prefered when building cables.

I also saw recently in a few videos that people where using solder flux? Is this an important thing to use or not needed? And is there any other components needed to build a good quality cable?

Also any general tips about cable building would be kl too.
xx
ok cheers for that. was alot of help on how to solder, however at one point they say acid core is corrosive so cant be used when soldering cable, then they later say soo is resin core solder? so what do i use for cable? just resin core or is there some other type?
xx
Resin core or acid core doesn't matter. Just clean the used flux off and you are good.
The "Core" refers to the type of flux inside the solder.
That spool of solder you have? its hollow, filled with flux.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 4, 2011,
I always use 60/40 solder. Also make sure to tin the wires before soldering them to the jacks.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Denatured alcohol. About $5 quart
Rubbing alcohol also works in a pinch.
Both can be found in most hardware stores.

Use whats called an "Acid brush" (hardware or electronic hobby stores)
Toothbrush will also work if you can't find acid brushes
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 4, 2011,
strip the cable so the bare wire is showing, then twist the wire so its tight then heat the bare wire and apply solder over the exposed wire.

YouTube - How to tin wire, if you need a visual explanation
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
ok so i need to use resin core solder and use isoprpyl alcohol to clean it off the flux thats built into the solder. What do i do just wipe if off with a cloth camped with isppropyl alcohol or what?
xx
Quote by bogg808
just use a tissue, dab it with a bit of IPA and wipe the area before you solder, and after.

Or this.

I have taken a corner and twisted it into a thin, long pointed shape to give it some rigidity and cut the tip off to give more surface area with good results.
Alright sorted. I think ill be ready to do the job now. better order some of that alcohol stuff first tho. Ill post back when im done with some photos so you can see my first ever soldering attempt.
xx
Quote by irnmadn88
Or this.

I have taken a corner and twisted it into a thin, long pointed shape to give it some rigidity and cut the tip off to give more surface area with good results.

thats the sort of thing I do, but without the cut, just an extra bend for the surface area, depending on the job.
That's not the preferred method, but yeah, that's tinning a wire.
Preferred method is to put flux on, then hold iron under the wire and feed solder to the top of the wire, from the end up to (or just before) the insulation.

On both, depends.
I often use what are called "pancake" plugs (When making patch cables). I don't tin the outer shielding on those.
On your standard straight plugs, yeah, I tin both.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 5, 2011,
ok kl, and i deffinatly dont need flux with resin core solder right. Its built in?
xx
Technically, you don't need extra flux, but it helps.
Some companies where they do hand soldering, they don't supply the workers with flux.
Myself, I use it all the time, but its not an absolute necessity unless you are dealing with old and maybe corroded parts.
I deal with NOS parts often when building pedals.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 5, 2011,