I play alot of System of a Down and Three Days Grace. What are some effects that these bands use that are moderately priced.. Also I have never bought effects before so what are some things to look for.

Just got a Crate FWr 15 (which i absolutely love)
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
^ I thought Daron also used a Tube Screamer...
In any case, you probably would do well with a tube screamer or another OD of that type with a little more gain on it.
I have a guitarworld mag from 05 that says Daron is a fan of simplicity. In the interview it says that he used an SG into a Marshall JMP100 amp and a single 4x12 cab. The overdrive channel on the amp had been modified for extra gain. In another 03' issue he said he loved the Marshall Mode 4 amp head and that was all he needed. That was probably in his Ibanez Iceman days before Mezmerize/Hypnotize. You could use the Tubescreamer for the modded gain on his overdrive channel. No mention of any pedals or anything because Daron said that the effects change the guitar from a stinged instrument to something else(that he didn't want)
Hope this helps. Also on his newer stuff 05-presesnt, he has rolled off a lot of bottom end and wants more trebble, less mud.
If your tele doesn't have the right sound with that amp(by the way, that amp gets some good reviews and looks flexible in the distortion) you may want to throw a Hot Rails Pick up in the bridge slot and use the neck pickup for the system cleans(like the intro for hypnotize) I don't know if you need an fx pedal right now. I think you need a humbucker pickup in a guitar.
Quote by dimarzio77
If your tele doesn't have the right sound with that amp(by the way, that amp gets some good reviews and looks flexible in the distortion) you may want to throw a Hot Rails Pick up in the bridge slot and use the neck pickup for the system cleans(like the intro for hypnotize) I don't know if you need an fx pedal right now. I think you need a humbucker pickup in a guitar.

It really depends on the DC Resistance of the neck pickup though. I believe for the Hotrail it is between 10k and 15k. If the DC Resistance for the neck pickup is significantly lower than the bridge the neck pickup will be much more quiet than the bridge, therefor he wouldn't be able to switch from bridge to neck without a boost in volume.

I had the same problem when I had a Hot Rail in my bridge and my stock neck pickup. It was 16k (bridge) vs 6.6k (neck) and you could barely hear the neck pickup when switching from the bridge. It was a major pain having to constantly adjust volume levels. Good thing I got that taken care of though with my new pickup configuration.

Just my two cents
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Last edited by ~Shred Hero~ at Apr 4, 2011,