We're called Skinny Fists, song's called stick to your guns.
I played lead and did the more distorted/echo-y sounding screams.

If you listen to it all, there's a good bit of post rock influence in the end.

But yeah, here it is!

http://skinnyfists.bandcamp.com/

Also, do you guys think we should look for a different singer? I think he has potential, he just needs to work on it a bit, but I'm not sure.

*Edit*
For the record, my screams sound really distant because I had to stand 8 feet from the microphone to not distort the mic due to how loud I am.
Last edited by Coheed777 at Apr 4, 2011,
wow i really liked the guitar parts throughout the whole song. you are right- i really enjoyed the end. i really like this style of music. keep it up!
Oh hey, I didn't see you there
Coheed777,
Singer is OK, but not great. He sounds slightly flat part of the time; though I prefer melodic singing to screaming. Strings, guitar & drums sound good (towards the end I think the drums are too loud though). I would have put some lead guitar (or guitar that is more obviously lead) before 5:00. The song itself is good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426734
Quote by Coheed777

*Edit*
For the record, my screams sound really distant because I had to stand 8 feet from the microphone to not distort the mic due to how loud I am.

You can scream into the mic as loud as you want without becoming distorted by lowering the input volume for your mic.

for me, my mic plugs right into the mic jack on my computer, to lower it (if your windows 7 user, though its pretty close to xp users as well) right click you volume thing on the bottom right of your screen, click recording devices, if your mic is plugged into your mic jack, right click "line in", click properties, on the top of the window there will be some tabs, click "levels", and lower the levels to about 15%, if this seems too low/high, adjust accordingly. Lower levels will allow you to scream hardcore into the mic without it being distorted. But of course proper distance also helps. But 8 feet is overkill. If its too quiet you might also try raising the volume of the recorded vocals afterwards.
I really like it. Keep the singer. You said it yourself; "he has potential", so stick with him. He'll get better with time as most people do. He has a good voice too. I like the instrumentation. Great playing for all. Some guitar parts could be louder in my opinion. The drums drown the other instruments out towards the end. They seem a bit too loud. Awesome song nonetheless. Keep it up!

Thank you for your critique!
I like it Singer needs to work out a little bit more and drums in some parts are too loud, but it's good song and your style is interesting. It would also be good to put some bass in it, unless it's already there, only I didn't hear it But if it's not, it doesn't sound bad without it. Overall great stuff, hope you'll post more of your songs in the future, when you record them. Keep up the good work
hey dude it actually sounded pretty good. def keep your singer, i like the melodies and i think after some time he can be really good, he has a nice voice, just needs some work.

seriously i think this song would be awesome if it was recorded with actually good quality. it really looks promising though. good melodies overall.

oh yeah and it could definitely use some sexi bass to go under all of that

care to crit my piece?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428623
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Last edited by lanzaa at Apr 5, 2011,
Thanks for the crit

I like everything except for the vocals. He really needs to let it rip and sing louder because right now it sounds really subdued and weak. I like the part where he's screaming "I just left home..." before the second guy starts screaming "And I know...?" He should do that more.

What are you using to program the drum beats?
kool song, man.
firstly, i really liked the singer - he sounds good, but he needs a bit more work as you said.
the song builds up well, i really like that. also the part with the screams is very well done.
the drumming i think is very good at parts but the fills sound a bit too breaky and not flowy enough, if you know what i mean.
very well done, all in all, with better production this definitely could be a very awesome piece.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424521
Quote by AeolianInvasion
Thanks for the crit

I like everything except for the vocals. He really needs to let it rip and sing louder because right now it sounds really subdued and weak. I like the part where he's screaming "I just left home..." before the second guy starts screaming "And I know...?" He should do that more.

What are you using to program the drum beats?

To my understanding, it was the one of the default drums on mixcraft. "Power drumset" or something along those lines, I'll try to find out for you next band practice.

As for my screams (The echo-y, more distorted ones) and how loud they are, I talked to the other guitarists, who does the recording and mixing, and turns out he had the mic on 1% audio input level, and I was still distorting the mic. Any advice?
Hey buddy, how you doing?

So here I'm going to make a review of the song itself, not the sound quality - cause that's just what I do

First of all, I like long songs, so I pressed play with a smile on my face, seeing it was 5mins30secs
What I don't like about long songs though, is when it's the same 45 seconds repeated over and over again. Happily, it didn't happen there, but after the "breakdown" (1:50) I would have sang something else than the "Put those lonely hands.." part,

I like how it begins (I would have preferred a guitar intro though :3) but the synth was good, and I like the punch when it starts. We're going straight to the action.

I was surprised with the "breakdown" (1:50). I'll be honest, at first I was like "What is exactly happening there?" but on second listen, I enjoy it. The fact that it's screaming made the song go to another level, it's swimming through ambiance, really like it.

The music is well executed, it shows that you're not randomly doing stuff.
The ending part, when the singer is solo, could be sang another way, to contrast the song. We've already heard this part plenty of times, so I'd leave the listeners on another note, a different, closing note.

NB: It needs a guitar solo

Downloaded the song and it's now on my iPod

You can review my song there: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431159

EDIT: sorry I posted two review in the same post, it's fixed
DeadlySurprise.com
Last edited by moshiz at Apr 11, 2011,