After listening to some Nevermore and wanting to be able to play some of that, I have decided to look into some 7-string guitars. For all the 7-string players out there, what are you using? Any and all recommendations are welcome.
I love Ibanez so I would say, go 2nd hand and look for a rg1527 or if you want a hard tail, RG7621.

Both readily available 2nd hand and incredibly well built guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What's your budget?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Yeah, we'll need your budget to recommend anything. Regardless of budget though, steer clear of the Ibanez RG7321.
Quote by I AM DEREK
After listening to some Nevermore and wanting to be able to play some of that, I have decided to look into some 7-string guitars. For all the 7-string players out there, what are you using? Any and all recommendations are welcome.

If you like nevermore just get Jeff Loomis' signature schecter 7 string. I have it and its like freakin amazing and this is coming from someone who doesn't even really like Nevermore. It's about $900 or something without the floyd rose which I think is pretty cheap for a guitar this good.
It's a good question.

Ibanez has a long history of 7 string guitar manufacturing. They have always been friendly to "trick" style guitar players like Steve Vai. Not that 7-string playing is a trick, but it's in Ibanez' world of bringing fun stuff to electric guitar playing.

Build quality, the pickups, the brand, and the type of neck will all be factors.

Often 7 string guitars have thin necks. You may or may not like that. I prefer more of a baseball bat round neck like a Les Paul. But with seven string guitars you often see thin necks.

A good search would be to go to Guitar Center. Try out Ibanez 7-strings at the $700 price point. Then try different models at less/more cost. And then try different brands.
Last edited by tmcdaniels at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Stringz of Fury
If you like nevermore just get Jeff Loomis' signature schecter 7 string. I have it and its like freakin amazing and this is coming from someone who doesn't even really like Nevermore. It's about $900 or something without the floyd rose which I think is pretty cheap for a guitar this good.

Didn't know he had a signature guitar. Thanks.
As for budget, that doesn't matter to me. Just steer me in the direction of a good 7-string.
Last edited by I AM DEREK at Apr 4, 2011,