http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbVUL-p2-c

I have an LTD EX-400 (Syu's guitar here is a custom ESP EX-280) from Japan, and want to modify it so it has a pickguard like Syu does in the linked video. If I could just buy the pickguard I would, but it doesn't seem like that common of a shape. Do I need to just build it myself? What are my best options?

Last edited by fixationdarknes at Apr 4, 2011,
It doesn't look massively different to a standard Explorer scratchplate, just looks like it's got an angle on the part between the pickups. What you could do is buy a sheet of scratchplate plastic and cut it to the desired shape using an existing one as a template. You could just print off a scale image of one, draw it onto the plastic and cut it as you want.

Good supplier of scratchplate blanks:http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_092.htm
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
From what it looks like, you can probably just cut a regular explorer pickguard to a similar shape, although you cant make it exactly like syu's (you had to build a new one from scratch to do so) you can get the same effect, and it will also look cool in my opinion.
I didnt try to search for a pickguard like his, but google it and try for a bit
Quote by tntero
From what it looks like, you can probably just cut a regular explorer pickguard to a similar shape, although you cant make it exactly like syu's (you had to build a new one from scratch to do so) you can get the same effect, and it will also look cool in my opinion.

You can make it look very similar, the angle will be slightly lower if cut from a standard one though. A standard explorer scratchplate has the straight edge roughly on the centre line between the two pickups, so you can only make the angle below this line, whereas on Syu's scratchplate, the angle is above this line.

But hey, minor details
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm not very handy, what would one cut this with? A (circular) saw of some sort? I really have no idea... I'll have to ask my dad for help, but I just want to have a general idea

Quote by makutoid

Hm... I don't see the chrome/mirror-looking material that Syu uses listed on that page. It's like I want this material of scratchplate: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mirror-Plexi-Gibson-Gothic-Explorer-Pickguard-/140529868640?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20b83b9f60#ht_525wt_905
Ah ok, my bad. I don't know a supplier who sells that material as blanks but I'm sure you can get it fairly cheaply. It'll still be plastic (probably acrylic) but just with an effect over it.

As far as cutting it goes, a circular saw is probably a bit drastic as you'll be doing smaller cuts (even though most of them are straight). Don't use a jig saw as they go back and forth and often splinter/snap the plastic if they bite unintentionally. If you have access to a band saw, that's always a good option. You could use a little hacksaw but just be careful with it so you don't snap it like a jig saw would.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart