Page 1 of 3
I've checked a lot of online guitar stores and they all say that it's been discontinued. Are they putting out the new version with the combo with the 12 inch speaker and the head and cabs, or is it not going to be made at all anymore? And if it is the new C5, does anyone know if it will still be made in the UK? I've heard rumors it will be made in China. If they change it much or if it's made in China, the original MKI Class 5 could be a much wanted classic that people will pay a lot of money for in 20 years (just like the 18 watts, which were originally made as practice amps). And when I was at Guitar Center they didn't have one, and the guy at Best Buy (one of them with the bigger music area) tried telling me that there are lots of different models of the Class 5, and asked me how many watts I wanted and one or two speakers, or if I wanted a head. Are they really making models with different watts?
was the class 5 ever made in the uk?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I highly doubt a class 5 will be a sought after amp in 20 years.
Not an amp as mass produced as that...

And yeah they've discontinued it and released new models..
Quote by AcousticMirror
was the class 5 ever made in the uk?

Yes.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I highly doubt a class 5 will be a sought after amp in 20 years.
Not an amp as mass produced as that...

And yeah they've discontinued it and released new models..

It's possible, look at how many people love them.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The only model of the class 5 I know of is the class 5, a 5 watt full tube amp.

Shrug.

That's what I thought too.
the first version had issues with tube rattle.

the second version had these issues resolved.

/mystery
Quote by gregs1020
the first version had issues with tube rattle.

the second version had these issues resolved.

/mystery

I'm hoping to get the second version without the rattle, but not the new one. I like simplicity, and the new one has extra stuff on it. I've heard of an added master volume? Is the new one going to be a mini JCM 800?
There isn't a master volume, but there is a low power option. That's better, IMO. I thought they were going to ruin it by adding a master volume, making it harder to get power tube distortion like the Plexis have. A built in attenuator would have been nice though, I'm probably going to add one if I get one of these amps. And still only a 16 ohm output? And the same 10 inch speaker? What did they upgrade that the original is discontinued and they're making a new version? They do have a new head, and cab. But who's going to buy the cab, it has the same 10 inch that's in the combo? If I get the head, I'm going to have to find a way to get rid of that ugly Class 5 logo. It may seem like I'm just complaining about everything (even though I am), but this is very disappointing to me. But I still might get the head.
Quote by plexi123
I'm hoping to get the second version without the rattle, but not the new one. I like simplicity, and the new one has extra stuff on it. I've heard of an added master volume? Is the new one going to be a mini JCM 800?

No most probably not. The class 5 is more of a mini-bluesbreaker.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by plexi123
There isn't a master volume, but there is a low power option. That's better, IMO. I thought they were going to ruin it by adding a master volume, making it harder to get power tube distortion like the Plexis have. A built in attenuator would have been nice though, I'm probably going to add one if I get one of these amps. And still only a 16 ohm output? And the same 10 inch speaker? What did they upgrade that the original is discontinued and they're making a new version? They do have a new head, and cab. But who's going to buy the cab, it has the same 10 inch that's in the combo? If I get the head, I'm going to have to find a way to get rid of that ugly Class 5 logo. It may seem like I'm just complaining about everything (even though I am), but this is very disappointing to me. But I still might get the head.

What are you talking about? The Marshall Class 5 that I know is a single Channel A class amp, 5 tube watts, 10 inch speaker, master volume, low, mid, and high EQ adjustments, and that's pretty much it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
What are you talking about? The Marshall Class 5 that I know is a single Channel A class amp, 5 tube watts, 10 inch speaker, master volume, low, mid, and high EQ adjustments, and that's pretty much it.

were talking about the MKII Class 5.

he's right.

i'm not sure if it has a master though, i saw the low out.

also available in headform.
looks like it's gonna be around 600 bucks.

Quote by AcousticMirror
looks like it's gonna be around 600 bucks.

But it's almost the exact same thing as the MKI version! What's wrong with Marshall? They used to have amazing amps, and now they have the JVM and JCM2000. I've played through both of those, and they were horrible. But I did play through a Vintage Modern at Guitar Center that I liked, but it was also used, so who knows what kind of tubes they put in it. The stock VM I played sounded nothing like the used one, I didn't like that one. And I've heard the reissues don't sound like the original amps even though you could get an original and get it fixed (if it needs it) for around the same price as the reissue. I've seen the '70s JMP Master Volumes for $1000-1500. JCM800 2204 for around $1000. Then the reissue is $2000.
Quote by plexi123
*post*

Short answer? Because they can.

Most uneducated people see Marshall and automatically think "good". Which plays right into their hands. Also given peoples' penchant for shiny new things instead of old, beat up things, and you have a recipe for Marshall to rake in the dough.

Also, what with guitarists' tendency for bandwagoning....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by plexi123
But it's almost the exact same thing as the MKI version! What's wrong with Marshall? They used to have amazing amps, and now they have the JVM and JCM2000. I've played through both of those, and they were horrible. But I did play through a Vintage Modern at Guitar Center that I liked, but it was also used, so who knows what kind of tubes they put in it. The stock VM I played sounded nothing like the used one, I didn't like that one. And I've heard the reissues don't sound like the original amps even though you could get an original and get it fixed (if it needs it) for around the same price as the reissue. I've seen the '70s JMP Master Volumes for $1000-1500. JCM800 2204 for around $1000. Then the reissue is $2000.

I blame internet amp forums....
They still make good amps. I've had several Marshalls, tube and hybrid including JCM 600, JCM 900, AVT50 etc. and there are some duds in there as well. I think the "Internet bandwagoning" thing works both ways. Right now it seems to be the bandwagoning thing to do to slag on Marshall.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I'm not saying anything against them; they do make good amps. Just not like how they used to make them. The JCM800/900 are great, especially the 900SL-X. The 2000 is a bit meh and fizzy, but is passable when loud.

The MA series is horrible, I've played them several times. The MGs are terrible. The AVT series is okay, but you can do much better for the money.
--

--
Glad you like the 900; the one I had broke down all the time and sounded super fizzy. I would have much rather had a 2000. But I moved on to a Mesa Single Rectifier at any rate.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I played an the 50 watt MA live a couple times and it was okay when you really cranked it, but how disappointing is that amp when you consider it's price tag?

Though the class 5 was a really cool little blues amp IMO, but then again it was expensive. Something like them should be $300 bucks new at the most, and I saw them for around $500. Also, Def do not put a master volume on an amp like that. They're meant to be cranked past breakup.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I thought the Class 5 was built in China and the intention was for it to be a home practice / low wattage tube amp...

They are alright and I see Marshall copping a lot of 5hit here and there on line, but my experience has always been positive - at least in terms of getting what you pay for.

If it weren't for moving half way around the globe I would have kepy my 900 head and 4x12 - regardless or practicality....
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by rawkandrowl
They still make good amps. I've had several Marshalls, tube and hybrid including JCM 600, JCM 900, AVT50 etc. and there are some duds in there as well. I think the "Internet bandwagoning" thing works both ways. Right now it seems to be the bandwagoning thing to do to slag on Marshall.

I don't like they're hybrids either. What's the JCM 600? Judging by the number, it's before the JCM 800, but I've never heard of it.

And the JCM 900 was the 90s...
i thought it was already pretty expensive at 400.

Quote by plexi123
I don't like they're hybrids either. What's the JCM 600? Judging by the number, it's before the JCM 800, but I've never heard of it.

And the JCM 900 was the 90s...

The JCM600 was a 50w JCM IIRC. I've never played one, but I've seen them. THey're kinda rare-ish out here.

And yeah... what about it? The 800 was the 80s, the 900 was the 90s, and 2000 was 2000...
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
And yeah... what about it? The 800 was the 80s, the 900 was the 90s, and 2000 was 2000...

I know that, but that's not a current production or very recent Marshall. That's what I was talking about. I've never played a 900, but I know it does sound different from the new Marshalls. And different from the old ones too. I guess it also depends on what music you play. I hate the new Marshalls, but love the old ones. Someone who plays metal might think different.
Quote by plexi123
I know that, but that's not a 2000s Marshall. That's what I was talking about. I've never played a 900, but I know it does sound different from the new Marshalls. And different from the old ones too. I guess it also depends on what music you play. I hate the new Marshalls, but love the old ones. Someone who plays metal might think different.

All are completely different circuits. JCM800 was a straight up circuit. JCM900 introduced clipping diodes and opamps (if i remember right. Cathbard, where are you when we need you?). The JCM2000 had the same thing, but again, it was a revamped design supposedly with more gain.

I'm pretty positive this is all right. But feel free to correct me, anyone.

EDIT: And not necessarily. The JCM800 is one of the best amps you can buy for metal, especially thrash. Plexis driven really hard and fuzzed up are great for stoner/sludge metal.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 5, 2011,
The 600 was from the late '90s and they only made it for a few years. I had mine modded to run hotter than stock. It was a great sounding amp.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by stratman_13
All are completely different circuits. JCM800 was a straight up circuit. JCM900 introduced clipping diodes and opamps (if i remember right. Cathbard, where are you when we need you?). The JCM2000 had the same thing, but again, it was a revamped design supposedly with more gain.

I'm pretty positive this is all right. But feel free to correct me, anyone.

EDIT: And not necessarily. The JCM800 is one of the best amps you can buy for metal, especially thrash. Plexis driven really hard and fuzzed up are great for stoner/sludge metal.

I thought Marshall made the 2000's with an all tube signal path as a response to all the criticism they got for putting diodes in the 900.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by stratman_13

The cause of the horrible tone.
Last edited by plexi123 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by Major Sparky
I thought Marshall made the 2000's with an all tube signal path as a response to all the criticism they got for putting diodes in the 900.

I think it differed in the DSL/TSL...

OH. They added extra gain stages in the 2000s.

EDIT: BUT the 900SL-X is amazing.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 5, 2011,
yup added some gain stages in the jcm2000 series.

the jcm600 was a continuation of the jtm60 which was kind of like a 2 channel 50 watt cousin of the jcm900 higaintwinreverb.

which then evolved into marshall's million channel amps.

which are now available from your local blackstar dealer.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i thought it was already pretty expensive at 400.

For a 5 watt amp, yeah. For a Marshall, no.

But the thing most people don't seem to realize is you can gig with a 5 watt tube amp. All of the amp companies make people think that you have to have 50 watts or more to gig. That's why we see threads with people asking if they would be able to gig with their AC15.

I know someone that used a 5 watt Blackheart as their main amp and couldn't turn it up all the way because no one would have been able hear the other guitarist with a 30 watt amp, and the guy with the 30 watt is more than loud enough without that thing cranked.

Also, a 5 watt tube amp is half the volume of a 50 watt tube amp. The 50 watt is half the volume of a 500 watt. The difference in volume between a 5 watt and 15 watt isn't very big, but everyone tells people that they need an amp with 15 watts or more to be heard over a drummer.

No one was able to crank their Marshall 1987s in the 60s, were they? Hendrix used a Fuzz Face for the distortion, when thats off the amp is barely breaking up. And I'm sure that he played loud. Even at Woodstock, he wouldn't have cranked it (mostly because almost everyone was gone by then). I like his tone, but if you play a Strat through a cranked plexi I hate it.

EDIT: Jimi used a Super Lead, but the volume difference still isn't much.
Last edited by plexi123 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by plexi123

But the thing most people don't seem to realize is you can gig with a 5 watt tube amp. All of the amp companies make people think that you have to have 50 watts or more to gig. That's why we see threads with people asking if they would be able to gig with their AC15.

I know someone that used a 5 watt Blackheart as their main amp and couldn't turn it up all the way because no one would have been able hear the other guitarist with a 30 watt amp, and the guy with the 30 watt is more than loud enough without that thing cranked.

Also, a 5 watt tube amp is half the volume of a 50 watt tube amp. The 50 watt is half the volume of a 500 watt. The difference in volume between a 5 watt and 15 watt isn't very big, but everyone tells people that they need an amp with 15 watts or more to be heard over a drummer.

No one was able to crank their Marshall 1987s in the 60s, were they? Hendrix used a Fuzz Face for the distortion, when thats off the amp is barely breaking up. And I'm sure that he played loud. Even at Woodstock, he wouldn't have cranked it (mostly because almost everyone was gone by then). I like his tone, but if you play a Strat through a cranked plexi I hate it.

Not so much about volume as headroom.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by plexi123
*post*

For a Marshall? I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's too much in general. Marshall has nothing to do with it. Given their QC as of the last few years at least...
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
For a Marshall? I'm not sure what you meant by that. It's too much in general. Marshall has nothing to do with it. Given their QC as of the last few years at least...

He said that $400 was expensive. It might be expensive considering most 5 watt tube amps are around $200 or less, but considering that it's a Marshall, it's not really that expensive.
It won't be the new Class 5, but if rumors are true then Marshall may be making a sort of mini-JCM800 soon with Project King Kong. The Monkey Lord forums seemed to be really swinging in that direction the last time I checked.
Quote by Seref
It won't be the new Class 5, but if rumors are true then Marshall may be making a sort of mini-JCM800 soon with Project King Kong. The Monkey Lord forums seemed to be really swinging in that direction the last time I checked.

That's interesting, if it's true I might have to get one, but I'd probably get a Class 5 first, I really want those Eric Clapton "Beano", Jeff Beck, early Van Halen, and 70s Alex Lifeson tones.

The mini 800 should be good for GNR Slash tones (maybe with an extra preamp tube added?).
Maybe Marshall are gearing up for the golden anniversary?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by plexi123

wut. why does it get to be more expensive just because it's a marshall.

some dude designed that circuit on a computer. it's not a magic marshall computer.

Quote by Slap-happy
Maybe Marshall are gearing up for the golden anniversary?

What do you mean by that? Small lower priced amps for the 50th anniversary? I think they're probably gonna do something like the 1923 head: an "upgraded" version of one of their most expensive heads, then discontinue the original. In this case it would probably be the JVM. I hope that's not what they do, maybe they will come up with some more cheap amps that have the classic Marshall tone.

I think they should discontinue the Haze and MA series and make some mini-plexi and mini-JCM series amps. The Class 5 is a good start. Maybe a 20 watt mini-plexi head that's not a reissue and isn't handwired so it could be cheap? An SE EL34 amp would be nice, I'd buy one of those if they have that tone.

Or maybe a 2 channel amp with the first channel having a JTM tone, second an SLP. And a 3 channel one with an added JCM 800 lead channel. But that would probably be expensive, and hard to do if they stick to the original circuits.
Quote by AcousticMirror
wut. why does it get to be more expensive just because it's a marshall.

some dude designed that circuit on a computer. it's not a magic marshall computer.

Paying for the name.
Page 1 of 3