I'm thinking of going with with one of these three amps. I play mostly progressive metal/metal-core through an EMG 81/85 set up. I plan to go try out each of these amps, but was curious about your opinions. I've read mixed reviews on which is better than the other and would like to hear from those of you that have played through both.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Mesa Dual rec, all the way.

+1 If you can get a dual rec roadster do so. Triple's are over kill.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Mesa Mark series amps are good for prog-type stuff.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Didn't you make this thread yesterday too?

nope xD

IIRC his last thread was in 17-03-11, but wasn't in this topic
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I wouldn't bother with a Triple Rec, totally overkill, and I honestly don't think they're as good as a Dual.

Anyway, I've had both. I prefer the JSX. It's not quite as metal sounding (and you do need to switch from el34s to 6L6s) but it's got more gain, a much more powerful EQ, and while the rhythm sounds aren't quite as good as a Dual, the lead sounds are far far better.

That said, if you want the traditional sound that you always hear in that style of music, grab the Mesa.

Still I would take the JSX over the Dual, and a Roadster over the JSX, aaaaand a MarkV over all of them.
Depends on what you play.

If youre more of a shredder, JSX.
If youre more into chuggah chuggah rhythm, a Recto of some sort.

Try both. See which one you rpefer.
Both are great amps with more gain than you ever will use.
Please note that Mesa's effects loops tend to be a bit finicky.

EDIT: ^Excuse me? JSX has more gain than a Recto?

The only amps I have seen with more gain than Rectos are 5150's/6505's.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 4, 2011,
I'd personally choose the Dual Recto. Also with the new 2010 update on the Dual Recs I found they basically sound the same as a Roadster, just without the 4th channel.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by pto654
I'd personally choose the Dual Recto. Also with the new 2010 update on the Dual Recs I found they basically sound the same as a Roadster, just without the 4th channel.

2nd- its got an extra clean channel IIRC. Channels 1, 3 and 4 are the same as 1 2 and 3 on the dual.
try them out, honestly this question is put up here all the time although its usually the 6505 people talk about not the JSX

its a preference thing, personally im a recto guy. i own an old 3 channel Dual Rectifier and a 2 channel Dual Rectifier the 2 channel is significantly tighter and better for everything. as much as having 3 channels is great, the 2 channel is a ****ing monster of an amp. probably the best i've ever played.

now thats my opinion, and im biased. i didn't like the JSX at all, thought the gain sounded really fizzy and trebly. play both, make your mind up
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.