Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone,
I am, as you might know by looking left, a newbie on this fine forum, which I discovered only today, I do hope however that you are ready, willing and able to help me with a small crisis I have to face at the moment.
The crisis is of the following extent:
Today, I was at a guitar store near my place, in order to have my Ibanez Jemini repaired, which they managed to do in a very short time.
Since I had some time left, I decided to go try out some of the guitars they had hanging there, two of which I ended up playing for quite some time.

1. The ESP Ltd. EC-1000 T
A "full thickness"eclipse model with emg 61 and emg 81 PU's(at least I think so)
2. An Ibanez ART 300
A thin LP model with a barely worth mentioning maple top.

Of course, playing these was very nice, since they were set-up perfectly and the amps were great as well, however I did like the Eclipse better, the neck felt better and it sounded nicer overall.

And now for the twist:
I decided to scour the www for a comparable model with a nicer price-tag and found a great offer for an ESP Ltd Wa 600, which even has passive pickups, which I like.
Having decided that a new guitar seems to be in order, I now try to decide whether or not I should sell my Ibanez Darkstone (Dn500) a nice guitar, however it lacks true character and the Eclipse has a better feel to it.
Now, please tell me three things:
Is the Wa 600 GREEN camo, a "full-thickness" model, and does it play as well as the eclipse 1000 models?
( I am guessing that most eclipse 1000 models feel alike)
Is the ESP WA 600 versatile?
I don't want to play jazz with it, but I'd like it if it could do more than melt someone's face off.
Third question:
What would YOU do?
Keep the Ibanez or go for the ESP (Ltd)?
Please don't tell me that it is up to me and that I should check them both out and test them against each other in the store, for I will most certainly do so.
I am merely interested in what YOU would do if you were in my place.
(Oh, and please, if you leave a smartass "get them both" or "get a *insert brand name NOT mentioned in the title here* comment, then feel free to do so, but also post an answer to the question I asked.
I do not have the money to have both guitars.
Oh, almost forgot to mention, but I hoped it was clear from the text:
I am looking at these guitars, because I want to play metal.
I have an Ibanez RG2570 and an ESP Ltd Viper 50 for everything else.
The Ibanez for shredding and everything except for KILL Y*UR MOTEHR MELT A FACE METALCOAOOOORE.
The Viper 50 for...blues. It doesn't hold up as a metal guitar (hence me buying a new one) but it is the best blues guitar I ever played and it has an amazing clean sound.
I want the designated metal guitar to have a nice clean sound, so I don't have to bring my Viper if I want to play Metal AND clean interludes.

For those too lazy too read all of the above, i assume that you will want as few txt as possible:
Ibanez Darkstone (DN 500)
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DN500K
or

ESP Ltd WA-600 / ESP Ltd EC 1000 T
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/signature/wa-600.html
BTW: ME heard old model (green) Full Thickness. Dat true?
/
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-1000t-ctm.html
Dat guitar full thick, me knowz dat.
?
Y?
Last edited by IbanEZP at Apr 4, 2011,
Yes, LTD 600 Artist models are the same quality as LTD 1000 Deluxe models.

I would get the LTD, but I'm a huge ESP fan. I would also personally get the EC1000, because A) it's probably cheaper, definitely cheaper if you go used, and B) I just think it looks a lot nicer than the sig.

If you found it more comfortable than you found your Ibanez, then that would be the answer for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 4, 2011,
One thing worth mentioning is the LTD is overall just a better/more quality guitar than the Ibanez (any Ibanez really, but that might be just opinion.) Not to mention whatever model you choose, you get a real quality set of pickups. There are EC-1000 models that come w/ passive SD pickups as well.
i'd go with the Ltd

i like a lot of Ibanez guitars, i have two of them, but they're good at the superstrat stuff and mediocre at everything else IMO. The EC-1000 is one of THE best guitars on the market and has been for a while. it'll be cheaper than the WA-600 which doesn't float my boat with the finish. you can get the EC-1000 with passive pickups you know either Seymour Duncan JB/59 set or Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro set. you dont have to have EMGs
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
One thing worth mentioning is the LTD is overall just a better/more quality guitar than the Ibanez (any Ibanez really, but that might be just opinion.)

LOLWUT?

Yeah I think that might be opinion there, sport. I don't know too many people who'd take a LTD over a J-custom. LOL.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello again,
interesting contributions, though it seems that the Esp has the upper hand.
I thought I should let you know that the EC I chose is a limited run and therefore not available used or second hand.
It has a so-called "full-thickness" body, a body as thick as that of a "true" Les Paul, which is one of the reasons I liked it better than the Art.
The WA600 has made itself a choice, because THIS particular model is a "full-thickness" model as well and MUCH cheaper than the EC-1000 T.
I have an offer for a NEW WA-600 for less than half the original price.
The colour scheme and design may not be to my liking even, I was even tempted to say "godawful", but for the price I was offered, I would even take it in pink fatigue.
(I so hope that such a version does not exist)

Concerning the quality debate:
I have only made good experiences with both Ibanez AND Esp Ltd.
My first guitar was the Viper and it still sounds great and there is not a single thing wrong with it.
And I dare anyone to find an instrument that has been crafted with more care than my Ibanez RG2570 (Team J. Craft, not Custom).
And the Darkstone doesn't have any problems either, I would be willing to admit though that the ESP Ltd Deluxe plays on another level altogether than the Darkstone.
First of all, sorry for the double-post, but a new development has made it necessary.
Since yesterday, my budget has severely increased, making more high-priced guitars available to me.
Concerning the "ESP LTD or Ibanez DN500" crisis:
The DN500 stays for now.
Since my budget has increased, I shall now search for a higher priced guitar, preferably an Ibanez Prestige (I like the look of the Ibanez RG4570)
I will keep you informed on the decision...

Have a nice day.
IbanEZP.
ah yeah, if you can get up to the japanese ones, then do that.

Also consider j-customs, if you can find them. The ones i've tried have been noticeably nicer than prestiges, and they're often a similar price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just sold my J Custom

They piss on every other ibanez ever.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah, pretty much.

I wouldn't say piss on, I mean the higher end prestiges and sigs are still very nice guitars, but like the j-customs are in a different league, they're in like suhr/tyler territory IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your right,

They stamp, destroy, crush then piss on everything ( except maybe the top end RGTs and RG3020 ( which are JCs anyway )

Mine sold for £850 TS so you can get great deals on them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah i also thought the couple of neck-thru rgs I tried were closer to the j-customs than the bolt-on ones. Though considering they were actually dearer than the J-customs...LOL, unless you really needed it to be neck-thru, there wasn't much point.

Also I think my 3270 is closer to a j-custom too, it was for the japanese market only i think (i guess a bit like what you're saying about the 3020).

It's possible I'm misremembering, of course, I haven't tried a j-custom for a couple of years. But it does feel a bit closer to what I remember the j-customs feeling like.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the 3xxx Models are all domestic Presitges, there is a lot of info saying that they were built by the same guys who do the JCs so

Its all about necks that make them so special imo

That and the crazy tops they put on a lot of them.

I picked up a 2550e to keep me in with the Ibby crowds yesterday for £450

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-J-Custom-S-JCS21-Traditional-Washi-Paper-399-/200590802415?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb424bdef

Holy shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 5, 2011,
Hello again,
I certainly appreciate the input, although I must admit that I already have my eyes on a certain guitar, an Ibanez, of course, but not a J.Custom, but rather a prestige.
The chosen one is the Ibanez RG 4570, the top of the line Prestige with a very special neck, a mahagony body, DiMarzio PU's and the Edge Zero with ZPS-3.
Does anyone have any input on this particular model?
How does it fare in comparison to a "regular" Prestige?
How does it hold up against the blazing glory that is a J.Custom?

BTW: What necks do the J.Customs have?
Never seen one, never played one...
That guitar is a JC in all reality.

It has all the trappings on a J Custom, same neck too.

Its just made in larger numbers, but even then its still rare as hens teeth. great guitar.

No to mention beautiful.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
(a) Yeah the 3xxx Models are all domestic Presitges, there is a lot of info saying that they were built by the same guys who do the JCs so

(b) Its all about necks that make them so special imo

That and the crazy tops they put on a lot of them.

(c) I picked up a 2550e to keep me in with the Ibby crowds yesterday for £450

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-J-Custom-S-JCS21-Traditional-Washi-Paper-399-/200590802415?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb424bdef

Holy shit.

(a) all of them? I've definitely seen 3xxx's in the european catalogue, though mine wasn't.

(b) yeah, definitely, the necks and fretwork on them are awesome.

(c) haha sweet

Regarding the 4570... I haven't tried one. Assuming it's as nice as the other prestiges it's probably a very nice guitar, though the prices (here in Europe anyway) are verging on crazy for them, you're talking over £2k. Considering that, not that long ago, you could pick up a new j-custom RG for £1200 or so... Obviously it's kinda academic as you can't get them now for that, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Also I'm not too sure about the edge zero- I haven't tried them, but they're not (as far as i'm aware) made by gotoh any more, so I don't know if the quality is as good as the older high-end ibanez trems. Even if it is, the ball-bearing design will feel a fair bit different to a normal knife-edge locking trem...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The zero bit refers to the removable bar in the trem cavity, but other wise its the same ( albiet korean iirc built ) trem that uses knife edges.

Once you remove the ZP its just an Edge.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
oh is it?

I knew there was a bit that was removable to make it react more like an edge, but i just assumed it was ball-bearing like the zr

EDIT: I still stand by what I said about not being too keen on the trem not being gotoh any more. I mean, the higher-end ibanez prices have just about doubled, and at the same time they cheap out on the trem?

Not cool.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 5, 2011,
yeah, the ZR bridge is the Ball bearings ( Zero Resistance Bridge ) the Zero Point system is this bit:

(Invalid img)

The edge Zero is a normal edge with that system added to it. Once thats removed its just a normal edge.

But yeah, like you said, its definately not cool.

Thank god for the used market.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah.

I mean, obviously I'd reserve final judgement until I'd tried one, and if, 10 years down the line, everyone on jemsite is saying that the edge zero holds up just as well as the edge, then i might consider it.

But at the moment... nah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 5, 2011,
They wont because its not the original edge.

Weird forum that one.

TBH though Dave, if it works as well as it does on the ZRs, its a brilliant system and even with the bar its not that hard to use ir flutter on and you can always remove it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 5, 2011,
i really wish they'd just go back to the edge like they've done on the sigs.

Ibanez has a history of cheaping out and having it cost them more than not cheaping out would have done (e.g. getting rid of the locking studs for the edge pro and forgetting the low-profile floyd wasn't out of patent... with the settlement and licensing money they could have bought a lot of locking studs, lol).

Similar thing with the edge zero, i mean maybe it is saving them a lot of money, or maybe gotoh said they couldn't manufacture it, but it looks pretty complex, i wonder how much money it actually is saving them over just saying, "screw it, let's go back to the edge, it's already been designed and the tooling is already in place etc."

EDIT: yeah maybe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
True, but they do like their development and pushing the boundaries, if they don't we wont ever get anywhere I suppose. I can see them moving it all out of Japan ( bar maybe a few Prestiges and JCs ) in the future, I mean the Premiums I have played have actually been awesome, so I just wished they would price them properly in relation to where they are made and their competition.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah i mean the edge was a fairly new design too, and lo-pro edge. Maybe in 10 years everyone will be complaining if they discontinue the edge zero, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can see it happening

Maybe by then they will have cracked the dream of a simple locking system, you never know with Ibanez, they have a habit of doing the impossible.

Got to love them for it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah.

I just don't like how, a lot of the time, ibanez seems to be run by the bean counters. It's like they get everything so right by complete fluke, and then the bean counters spend the next 10 years trying to destroy it.

Remember at one point they were going to move the prestige RGs offshore?

Sorry for the gigantic hijack, TS
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah,

but they are the most business orientated company, dont forget that for the last 10 years their economy has been in a melt down which would have had a big knock on effect with them sadly, I mean, Fuji workers are paid pretty highly especially compared to say Gibson workers.

I couldn't imagine non Japanese RG Prestiges... But then again, the South Korean Prestige S range were pretty damn good, though then again, they used Japanese hardware.

But hey, I loved the premium I played. But for the money you can get 2nd hand Prestiges, bollocks am I buying them new, I am already waiting for them to hit the 2nd hand market and grab a few and fix the bridges on them. The necks were irritatingly close to JCs which was another factor in why I was so happy to sell it in the end.

As long as they still care a little about their output I cant see me falling for another company really

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah,

but they are the most business orientated company, dont forget that for the last 10 years their economy has been in a melt down which would have had a big knock on effect with them sadly, I mean, Fuji workers are paid pretty highly especially compared to say Gibson workers.

I couldn't imagine non Japanese RG Prestiges... But then again, the South Korean Prestige S range were pretty damn good, though then again, they used Japanese hardware.

But hey, I loved the premium I played. But for the money you can get 2nd hand Prestiges, bollocks am I buying them new, I am already waiting for them to hit the 2nd hand market and grab a few and fix the bridges on them. The necks were irritatingly close to JCs which was another factor in why I was so happy to sell it in the end.

As long as they still care a little about their output I cant see me falling for another company really

1st: I don't have a problem with the hijacking, it is interesting to read.
2nd: So you sold your J.Custom because the Premiums have necks that are almost as
good, which is why you have decided to buy a Premium?
Why do I see you buying a J.Custom in the near future?

Next question:
Are there any differences between ZPS 1, 2 and 3?
We try to be helpful lol

No I sold my JC because I needed the cash to buy a new car mate, the fact the necks were so similar it just meant I knew if I needed that fix of a JC neck....

I just bought an RG2550 as I prefer the slightly wider neck on them...

Iirc the difference is just when they came out, though I'm not 100% sure.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I absolutely love ESP, Ibanez doesn't really do anything for me. Something about ESP/LTD necks just feel like the absolute perfect balance of thickness. Great action too, and it certainly helps that they're built like tanks. Every Ibanez I've played feels like it's going to snap in half if I play it too hard.
I'd go with the EC1000.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah,

yeah, that's true.

I never tried any of the korean prestige Ses

Agreed about the premiums. Heck a couple of years ago you could get a 1570 for just over £400. Granted you can't get those prices now, but you can still sometimes get decent deals on NOS MIJ prestiges which are often cheaper than the premiums, lol. And as you say, if you go used, they're a lot cheaper.

I don't really subscribe to any one company, for me a change is as good as a rest, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just won another RG2550e for £250 on eBay, didnt mean to though

got to try and worm my way out of it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Congratulations to your new acquisition .
Well, those that are still willing to bear with me, hear the newest chapter of my tale:
I went out today to go and try out an Ibanez Rg4570, and of course I had my main axe with me so as to be able to compare them both, my main axe is an Ibanez RG2570, and seeing that it is 2k lower, I expected it to be crushed by the glory that is the Ibanez RG4570.
I went in with the highest expectations, and I could barely keep myself together until the RG4570 was finally in my hands.
And I was disappointed.
The guitar was set up perfectly, but it still was not as good as my RG2570.
The trem worked fine, the Pickups are amazing, but it holds no candle to my main axe.
I like the neck of the 2570 better.
I like the trem better.
I like the sound better.
Huh.
Well, whadya know, the RG4570 won't enter my house so soon...
But since my quest to get a replacement for my Darkstone has not ended yet, and I discovered that since I already have a guitar with a trem that works perfectly fine, I want a fixed bridge guitar for metal.
Now if that WA600 wasn't so butt ugly...
BTW: Any thoughts on the MTM1?
^ yeah, that's the problem. As I said earlier in the thread, the 4570Z is very expensive for what's still just a prestige- aside from the mahogany/maple top instead of basswood and the pickups, it's pretty much the same guitar as your 2570. And as you said, you actually prefer your 2570, which is entirely possible.

That's why I was mentioning the J-customs, personally if I were going up to big money (I have a 3270, but I got a deal on it where i got it for a good bit less than the usual going rate of a new 1570z ) I wouldn't be happy unless it were a J-custom.

What's the MTM1? Do you have a link? I can't really think what that model is off-hand...

Quote by Tom 1.0
I just won another RG2550e for £250 on eBay, didnt mean to though

got to try and worm my way out of it.

haha

isn't that a pretty good price, though? I mean you could nearly sell it on for more?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
What's the MTM1? Do you have a link? I can't really think what that model is off-hand...

Mick Thompson sig, its pretty good but you could get a decent used RG Prestige block the trem off and get a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts and you'd be sorted for probs a fair bit less and you dont have to worry about the crazy inlay
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
ah ok, thanks.

yeah, probably. I mean the same thing applies regarding the 4570- you might like it less than your 2570 anyway, lol. I mean that one doesn't even appear to be prestige...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I could sell it for more Dave, but I cant afford to pay for it

My bastard brother did it while I was out, you look at the bid history and it had 75 £1 bids until it hit the reserve!

TS, whats your name?

Also, I can understand why you preferred your 2570, its a very very nice guitar. The 4570, is also incredibly nice but, as Dave said, it sounds like you prefer basswood and he is 100% right in saying apart from that, they are built in the same place, so quality isnit higher, just pricier

Quote by shredftw
Mick Thompson sig, its pretty good but you could get a decent used RG Prestige block the trem off and get a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts and you'd be sorted for probs a fair bit less and you dont have to worry about the crazy inlay

Its a bit different from a STD RG with a blocked trem though, its a maple neck thru with mahogany wings and sounds massively different to any standard RG.

I really liked the MTM1 but personally I am not a fan of the SEVEN inlay ( though I am big Slipknot fan, I have owned the Jim Root sig ) and for that much money, the only sig I would buy is the Music Man John Petrucci.

Dont bother looking at the Willie Adler, if you want an EC, try and find a second hand ESP Eclipse? then you could always retro fit SD into it, or find one of the Law Suit Eclipses with the quilt and Duncans as standard.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
I could sell it for more Dave, but I cant afford to pay for it

My bastard brother did it while I was out, you look at the bid history and it had 75 £1 bids until it hit the reserve!

ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I had the cash spare I would have ripped his arm off.

EDIT:

Quote by shredftw

Its a bit different from a STD RG with a blocked trem though, its a maple neck thru with mahogany wings and sounds massively different to any standard RG.

I really liked the MTM1 but personally I am not a fan of the SEVEN inlay ( though I am big Slipknot fan, I have owned the Jim Root sig ) and for that much money, the only sig I would buy is the Music Man John Petrucci.

Dont bother looking at the Willie Adler, if you want an EC, try and find a second hand ESP Eclipse? then you could always retro fit SD into it, or find one of the Law Suit Eclipses with the quilt and Duncans as standard.

Just to reiterate and prevent spam

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2