So my band is going into the studio next week. Basically I'm looking for any tips anybody has so we can be prepared as best as we can to get through it quickly enough that we don't have to book a 2nd session. (We're doing live recording with Vox separate by the way)
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Don't let the producer add/change things you don't want changing. Some arsehole tried doing it with us.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Don't use your toes to play your guitar
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by Trowzaa
Don't let the producer add/change things you don't want changing. Some arsehole tried doing it with us.

I know one of the guys who works at the studio and he'll be there, and also assures me that the guy we're working with is good and professional.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
complete wrong attitude to have - we think like that all the time. do one song well rather than two not bad. Always leave atleast half the time it took to record the song to mix it. Have alot of one on one practices i.e. bass and drums, vocals and rhythm so everything is tight together and you can hear how it all works seperately and together. Most Importantly, have fun - if things don't go right don't let it get you down
Quote by monkeysintheday
I know one of the guys who works at the studio and he'll be there, and also assures me that the guy we're working with is good and professional.

Okayy, that's good
Also, just play as carefully as you can, if sitting down makes you play better than do that, no room for showmanship in a studio. Have fun mate.

Quote by Trowzaa
Okayy, that's good
Also, just play as carefully as you can, if sitting down makes you play better than do that, no room for showmanship in a studio. Have fun mate.

I'll be sitting anyway, behind the drums haha but I get what you're saying. Thanks

Quote by Crillz
complete wrong attitude to have - we think like that all the time. do one song well rather than two not bad. Always leave atleast half the time it took to record the song to mix it. Have alot of one on one practices i.e. bass and drums, vocals and rhythm so everything is tight together and you can hear how it all works seperately and together. Most Importantly, have fun - if things don't go right don't let it get you down

I definitely hear you there, basically just trying to save money (or a lack thereof) but we've been working hard on getting everything down perfectly, we have about 6 hours and we're doing 4 tracks, so we figure if we keep working like we are and we're recording live, we can get the instrumentation recorded in a few takes and the vocals in the same.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at Apr 4, 2011,
Make sure all the band members have a clear understanding of what songs they're supposed to be recording. Otherwise they'll just be wasting time.
Quote by Crillz

truth all up in this post
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
rule number 1: NEW STRINGS.

rule number 2: MORE NEW STRINGS

seriously, I cannot stress this enough. Have at least two or three packs of extra strings with you, you have no idea how frustrating it is to have to quit for the day because you break a string and have no replacement.
Pace yourselves and take breaks, even if you don't feel you need them. Just 5 minutes for a sit back and a drink will refresh you well enough so you don't get frustrated with just sitting and playing. The main thing you need is a clear head (apart from the songs you need to remember of course)
Listen to the engineer, restring and reset-up guitars + new batteries in active pickups ect., reskin and tune drums and learn your shit i.e. practice to a metronome. If you go in the studio completely solid then you're recordings will be way better.

Quote by Trowzaa

That's completely the wrong attitude. Surely you picked the producer because you liked their portfolio and therefore value his opinion and input as a producer. If you didn't do that then you made a mistake.
bring water, snacks, a guitar tuner, extra strings, amp cables, some dank(if thats your deal), uhh thats about it for ideas really since you are playing live, if you were tracking out separate parts id say bring blue tape to mute strings you dont want to ring out, its a nifty little trick.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by AdamG313

That's completely the wrong attitude. Surely you picked the producer because you liked their portfolio and therefore value his opinion and input as a producer. If you didn't do that then you made a mistake.

I'm of course going to consider the producers opinion but there's obviously some elements of some of our songs that we won't want changed at all.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by AdamG313

There was only one decent studio in my city for a while, great equiptment, arsehole producer. Good at what he did but he wanted to add so much pointless shit, like for another band that were recording he added, without permission, a sample of a person screaming before a breakdown...

Quote by Trowzaa
There was only one decent studio in my city for a while, great equiptment, arsehole producer. Good at what he did but he wanted to add so much pointless shit, like for another band that were recording he added, without permission, a sample of a person screaming before a breakdown...

Surely employ him on an engineering basis. Easiest way to do it, if they have good gear then make it clear that you don't want any external production on your recordings
I've done 1-day recordings, multiple day recordings and multiple week recordings in various studios with various engineers... one thing i will say: everything takes longer than you'd expect it to

So with that in mind, you might think you can play 6 songs really well and blast through them in one session, but don't do it. Try do 1, 2 maybe 3 songs really well rather than have 5 or 6 crummy tracks.
You might be tight now (you better be!) but you won't have good experience playing to tempo-track (which is pretty tough).

Also if you're using your own gear, set it up to sound great BEFORE you go. Especially if its drums.

One handy thing to do is bring a CD of music that has a sound you like. Bring a different track for each instrument if you like. This will get the ball rolling in mixing, and you won't have the awkward moment when your engineer says 'so what're we doing with the kick drum' and your drummer gives a blank stare!

Just be prepared, bring food/drink and plenty of rest before hand. Enjoy it, it's fun but exhausting and can easily be a waste of money if you're not ready for it.
Good luck!
Last edited by vitchb at Apr 4, 2011,
6 hours to do 4 tracks?! That's crazy. In my opinion you should pick at the most your 2 best songs and nail them. 4 tracks in 6 hours is pushing it IMO
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
make sure your new amp has triggers not thorns
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Don't worry about getting every note right. It's fun to do so, and if you can, awesome, but getting one note out of place or missing a cue, as long as you can catch back up, isn't worth killing a good take.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
on the first day punch the producer in the face to let him know who's boss.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I definitely hear you there, basically just trying to save money (or a lack thereof) but we've been working hard on getting everything down perfectly, we have about 6 hours and we're doing 4 tracks, so we figure if we keep working like we are and we're recording live, we can get the instrumentation recorded in a few takes and the vocals in the same.

That's no way near enough to do four songs. your putting way to much pressure on yourself to do it all in time. I know it's unrealistic but money shouldn't be the problem. Just do two now and come back to the others later. Otherwise someones coming out of that place with a blackeye
Quote by Trowzaa

I couldn't agree more. I was in the studio last summer with a producer who was very experienced (had worked with AC/DC, Maiden, Zeppelin, etc) but he changed the song completely. And of course, what he said went so we couldn't get a word in ourselves (I was on a university course, we had no choice in who we worked with).
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Don't dick around. Try to get as much out of your money as possible.

Every time I go about recording with my band (granted we have never been into a "real" studio) we just end up wasting a bunch of time and not really get anything done.

Good luck though, hope it works out for you
Quote by monkeysintheday
I'll be sitting anyway, behind the drums haha but I get what you're saying. Thanks

4 tracks in 6 hours? not a chance dude haha. To really get quality recordings I would say do 2 tracks at the most.
dont let them tell you no, or it cant be done, if you guys go in and play your shit like profos then 6 hours for 4 songs is fine.

but im talking you should be able to play the same song 3 times in a row not messing up once while having the length of the song be exactly the same each time.

my old band
could play our songs so solid we did 3 in 4 hours at a studio once (and it saved us lots of money)
and they came out great, its really up to how serious you guys take shit.

you get out of it what you put in.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Apr 4, 2011,
Now that you say 6 hours.... do 1 song. With my old band we had a 2 minute song, we'd played it for years and very tight. We spent all day in a good studio with good engineer and only just tracked the song. Had to go back to mix, and back again to master.

Now you should get away with the mixing 'cause you're live tracking will be shorter. But still, don't over do it, the first time I went to a studio we spent all day tracking 5 songs. Didn't get anything of use from it. Waste of cash.
Quote by the_white_bunny
dont let them tell you no, or it cant be done, if you guys go in and play your shit like profos then 6 hours for 4 songs is fine.

but im talking you should be able to play the same song 3 times in a row not messing up once while having the length of the song be exactly the same each time.

my old band
could play our songs so solid we did 3 in 4 hours at a studio once (and it saved us lots of money)
and they came out great, its really up to how serious you guys take shit.

you get out of it what you put in.

No it's not. Tracking 4 songs in a 6-hour stretch is going to unavoidably cause at least one of the following:

1. rushing through parts and making mistakes
2. not enough time to sit and think what could make the recording better
3. not enough time to get an optimal performance out of the singer
4. not enough time to get an optimal microphone setup
5. not enough time to fix any mistakes that might have been overlooked

Seriously, if you've never been in the studio before, at least one of those things is going to happen. My suggestion is cut the song list in half. Try for two songs in six hours, and even that is pushing it. Bands don't spend weeks and weeks in the studio for no reason, you know.
ive been in more then one real studio and as i said you get out what you put in, if they know their shit and are not prone to making horrid mistakes when they practice then they are fine.

if the producer knows his shit it helps as well.
IMO the longest part is singers getting over their little issues.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Apr 4, 2011,
2 songs is perfect in 6 hours. To get them sounding nicely and not rushed at least anyway. It's better to have 2 quality recordings than 4 shite ones.

do not just do 2, its not enough to show what your band is really about. shoot for 3 if you are worried about it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Rehearse the living shit out of the material. You hear stories of albums being recorded in 2-3 three hour sessions simply cause they were so well rehearsed and nailed it first time.
If you want to get 4 songs done, practice the shit out of them before you go in. I cannot stress how important this is enough, you HAVE to know them inside and out if you even want to TRY to make it to 4 songs. Then once you get in there, do the songs in order of importance, from the one you want to get done most, and so on. See how long it takes you do those songs, then determine if you have time for another one plus mixing and mastering.