Page 1 of 2
When i am done with school here in England, I am thinking about moving to America to study music.

But I have no idea where is nice, which colleges are good for music, cost of living. etc.

Please, tell me stuff
How are you on money?

If you have some of that, and have decent grades, Berklee is one of the best.

http://www.berklee.edu/

As an example, their 5 week summer program cost about $3,000 more than an entire semester at the school I'm going to be attending.

EDIT:
Below me, no they are definitely not cheap. It's really terrible.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at Apr 4, 2011,
Based on very little knowledge I'm going to say you're going to have to save up a lot of money.

Can you not do a uni course in the UK where you can study abroad for a year or something? as I get the impression that American colleges aren't cheap hence the whole college fund thing.
Move to Boston
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Move to Canada instead, it's like the US but with out the Americans.

Prepares for shitstorm...
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by Supertait

I agree with this because of the difference in tuition prices. McGill is a top school that doesn't have a $30000/year tuition.

EDIT: Just saw you wanted to study music. It'd still be cheaper to come to Canada, but I can't suggest any schools because I don't know any arts schools.
Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Supertait

Plus ALL the hockey you want!

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
More elaboration is needed. Depending on who you ask(Land disputes and all that), America's either the third or fourth largest country in the world, and there's an entirely different culture in New York than Boston than Alabama than Texas than California than Washington and so on.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Supertait

I love me some Canuk TV
Attachments:
TPB.jpg
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
US school's are NOT that expensive if you're smart, I don't know where people get this bullshit from. Yes, some certainly are, but you're going to be guaranteed some money to super expensive schools like that just through FASFA if you don't have the money. Or at least low-interest subsidized loans.

But +1 to Necrosis's comment. Go to Canada if you want to freeze to death.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
Plus ALL the hockey you want!

You'd want ANY of that shit?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Supertait

Move to Canada, I'm not sure what we have here for music colleges, but apparently theres a really good one in Toronto. But its just generally a much better country to live in the america.

I meant to not capitalize 'america'
just give me a fender and let me rip
Do you want to switch places? I want to live in England! :O
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
I've always wondered...why do people study music? How is that important in any aspect of life? Music is an interest...not a job.

That's my opinion...no need to get angry lol, I'd like to hear people's reasoning behind it.
Quote by .Joker.
I've always wondered...why do people study music? How is that important in any aspect of life? Music is an interest...not a job.

That's my opinion...no need to get angry lol, I'd like to hear people's reasoning behind it.

Your avatar explains your opinion.
berklee in boston.

or

MI

in LA
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by CrossBack7
Go to Canada if you want to freeze to death.

Canada isn't that cold if you live in the main places...
Quote by travs2448

Hopefully none

WTF ARE YOU ON?
You will have to save up a lot of money.

What are you looking to study: Classical? Jazz? Theory?

Do you want to do Education? Performance? Business end of music?

Those are the two big questions you need to answer before looking at schools.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by CrossBack7
US school's are NOT that expensive if you're smart, I don't know where people get this bullshit from. Yes, some certainly are, but you're going to be guaranteed some money to super expensive schools like that just through FASFA if you don't have the money. Or at least low-interest subsidized loans.

Plus, if you go to a public college and become a resident of the state it's usually pretty cheap. At least comparatively.

EDIT: A good one to check out would probably be the University of Michigan. They have apparently a very good music program, plus are a public school.

EDIT2: I also don't know what would be involved with becoming a resident of the state so not sure what that would entail, at least for someone out of country.
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Apr 4, 2011,
Depending on what you wanted to study specifically, there's an Academy of Contemporary Music in Oklahoma City. Oklahoma definitely isn't the best place in the US but the cost of living is way lower than say California.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by CrossBack7
Your avatar explains your opinion.

I spit out my Mike and Ike thanks to you
Quote by travs2448

Hopefully none

WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by CrossBack7

But +1 to Necrosis's comment. Go to Canada if you want to freeze to death.

He's not a US citizen though, do you only have to be a legal resident to apply for FAFSA?

On a somewhat related note, I just got my FAFSA stuff back and apparently I'm so poor that schools should expect that I can't pay a cent for college. Now everywhere I'm accepted to wants to double check my financial stuff to make sure I didn't fudge anything.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by .Joker.

The same way people make jobs out of playing sports, or writing stories. Its an interest, that sometimes can be made into a job. Even if you arent a huge rock star, you can still teach music, or work in a recording studio, or hell, even be a guitar tech for some band
Quote by .Joker.

How do you think musicians we enjoy get so good?
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by robertito696
He's not a US citizen though, do you only have to be a legal resident to apply for FAFSA?

On a somewhat related note, I just got my FAFSA stuff back and apparently I'm so poor that schools should expect that I can't pay a cent for college. Now everywhere I'm accepted to wants to double check my financial stuff to make sure I didn't fudge anything.

What I would really recommend is for him to enroll in a decent college in the UK and try to get in on an equal exchange program where he can pay the same tuition to come here for a year or two while a student from the university he goes to will go to his university in the UK. There are several programs like this.

And for you, if you didn't fudge anything, you'll be fine. I knew I wouldn't qualify for anything from FAFSA, and they still sent me crap to update it.
Quote by I.O.T.M
You'd want ANY of that shit?

You like soccer, stop acting like your opinion is valid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHVTYNGS-F4

Oklahoma? They don't even have trains for fucks sakes. It's hot as hell, windy as shit, and consists mostly of fukken wheat and cities without subways. They have a state meal, and it's 11 goddamn different items. They wear coats in 15 weather. They advertise lakes as a selling point to visit which only go up to your chest when you are in the middle of them. Don't go to Oklahoma unless you lose a bet, have a sick sense of humour, or are a masochist.

American tuition is expensive, and I doubt you'll be getting a lot of breaks like American citizens get. Normally I'd suggest Canada as we have top tier schools at considerably less money (McGill, U of T, UBC, etc) but I'm not educated at all on arts schools here.
Quote by papershredder
How do you think musicians we enjoy get so good?

The musicians I enjoy aren't technically that good I guess that's why I don't care lol
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You like soccer, stop acting like your opinion is valid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHVTYNGS-F4

Oklahoma? They don't even have trains for fucks sakes. It's hot as hell, windy as shit, and consists mostly of fukken wheat and cities without subways. They have a state meal, and it's 11 goddamn different items. They wear coats in 15 weather. They advertise lakes as a selling point to visit which only go up to your chest when you are in the middle of them. Don't go to Oklahoma unless you lose a bet, have a sick sense of humour, or are a masochist.

American tuition is expensive, and I doubt you'll be getting a lot of breaks like American citizens get. Normally I'd suggest Canada as we have top tier schools at considerably less money (McGill, U of T, UBC, etc) but I'm not educated at all on arts schools here.

You sound like a total idiot and I hate this place. For one thing, if the deepest point goes up to your chest that's called a POND. A lake has to be deep enough for boats. I really don't you've even set foot in Oklahoma and I can't believe I'm defending it. I guess I just hate idiots. Not to mention, even if you had been here, the different areas of it vary quite a bit. The northeastern half is quite different from the southwest
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Indiana is a good place to live, and both Indiana University and Butler University have good music programs.
Quote by BladeSlinger
You sound like a total idiot and I hate this place. For one thing, if the deepest point goes up to your chest that's called a POND. A lake has to be deep enough for boats. I really don't you've even set foot in Oklahoma and I can't believe I'm defending it. I guess I just hate idiots. Not to mention, even if you had been here, the different areas of it vary quite a bit. The northeastern half is quite different from the southwest

this is hella funny but im going to the same town you live in in sep to see my old ladies grandmother who is too old to come out to cali. is there anything at all to do in oakmulgee?
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by BladeSlinger

Lake/pond is determined by surface area, not depth. I have been in many a lake that was only chest deep.

I'm not sure why I bothered to post that.....but, I did.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by BladeSlinger

All of my information is SteveHouse confirmed, that's where I got it from. The 'lake' is in Hell Reno I believe.
Page 1 of 2