Page 1 of 2
I am going to get a new guitar for my birthday, Which one to buy? I was looking at a Fender Stratocaster HSS and an Ibanez 350DXZ. Opinions????
I have a pod HD500 and a marshall mg15cd amp which i will be replacing soon. I like to play vai, satriani, and quite alot of clean stuff but also heavy metal. A bit of everything.
fender strat and ibby RG are completely differnet genres (normally)

give us a clue of what you wanna play, used or new, current gear, etc.

but before anyone else does

i'mma say "you need a new amp"
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
also:

Quote by CalumFraser
I have a pod HD500 and a marshall mg15cd amp which i will be replacing soon. I like to play vai, satriani, and quite alot of clean stuff but also heavy metal. A bit of everything.

i sense a contradiction in terms.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
it doesnt need to be one of these guitars, they were just ideas. i would definately go second hand but not too bad condition.
ibanez s470

fender blackout jaguar/tele

look at agile as well, it might not tickle you but there the best buy with loads of colours and mostly look at al3000 series agile shipping will take you to around £500
For £500, I'd say have a look at ESP's LTD ranges. I was really impressed with mine, I was expecting bog standard, nothing impressive, poor pickups etc. But for £500 you can get a thru-neck, built like a tank with Duncan Designed or EMGs, and an original Floyd Rose if you play your cards right.

They tend to have a really nice clean tone but also maintain it when you crank it up for distortion and metal stuff. I play similar music and mine is damn near perfect for me
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
I think an ESP LTD would be nice. The reason im getting a new guitar is that i would really like a guitar with a floyd rose or a decent tremolo system.
The new humbucking Fender Blacktops are a steal, though perhaps not as slick as you need
Check out music radar's 'under £500' list,
Cort do some insane guitars, check em,
Some LTDs are pretty nice for guitar shred, hvm like you want

Also, look on websites like preloved.com for secondhand ibanez type guitars - i got a perfect Fender USA strat for £700 - ****ing steal
Also, i may be able to get more than 500 for a budget if i sell my guitars. I have a cort z-44 and a b.c. rich mockingbird acoustic limited edition. How much would both of these get me if sold?
ibanez s series for sure if you want a decent tremolo the ibanez s series is your best buy!
how flexible is that £500 budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well if you can get up to £600 an rg1570 is the obvious choice for satch and vai. upgrade the pickups later when you have more cash.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/3377-ibanez_rg1570_guitar (older model with edge pro, which is probably better for vai and satch stunts than the edge zero)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It seems a great guitar, but i would kinda prefer a guitar that isnt black, but it doesnt really matter. I would love an Ibanez. Had a shot of the Ibanez rg350m yellow today, absolutely loved it
Quote by Miteour18
ibanez s series for sure if you want a decent tremolo the ibanez s series is your best buy!

This. A used Ibanez S will be your best bet. Or an RG1570 as said above. If you're going to be using the trem a lot, don't go with anything else. A good S of some sort or an RG1570 can and will be able to handle anything you throw at it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^ yeah, i mean the 350 has a subpar trem.

the 1570 is way better, made in japan, actually has a good gotoh-made trem, etc. etc. comes with a hard case...

I mean, fair enough if you don't like the colour, I know i'm not particularly fussed on black guitars either, but turning down the 1570 and then picking up the 350 because you like the colour better is crazy. It's like turning down a porsche because you don't like the colour and then buying a nova. LOL.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I probs wont get the RG350 but it gave me an insight of whan some ibanez are like. Kinda.
Please don't get the RG350. It has a terrible trem that is a pain to deal with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get a second hand RG1570.

Awesome guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you're not going to go used (for example you're living in a situation like me and there's no used market to speak of) get an Ibanez S series. They're awesome (not to mention much more durable than the RGs at that price range).

If you can go used, do what Tom 1.0 says.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
It's hard to say, If you gave us some info of what you play and some specs you'd quite like i.e scale length, number of frets, bridge then we might be able to help. I always say go for a well known brand but that's just me
Scale length and number of frets doesnt really bother me, but it needs to have a good tremolo system and i would prefer a white or coloured guitar, dont really like black. I play alot of steve vai, joe satriani and that type of stuff.
if you're looking at ibanez and you want a good trem system, i wouldn't trust the RG series.. I've had loads of friends who have bought them and been horribly let down by the floyd copy. They manage dives pretty well, but they're impossible when it comes to changing tuning and restringing. I mean, floyd's aren't designed to do that very easily anyway but I've heard so many awful reviews of the cheap ones they put on the mid/low range RG series.

S and JS series though, they're pretty good For a good floyd, I'd still say look at LTD or ESP if you have the cash for it. Just standard trem (not going for full on dives and things) you should have a look at the vintage Bigsby bridges, those things still have my vote every time
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
No worries.

tbh if you dont buy it your an idiot

I am trying to stop myself buying it...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
They are good, though look for an LTD MH400/401 if you can find them, they are arguably better built.

But I hope you find something!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks, i will wait till my birthday and get my budget. Paper round for me!

thanks to everyone that replied, helped me alot.
No worries,

a few weeks before your Bday post up a thread and we can have another look for you

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by CalumFraser
Scale length and number of frets doesnt really bother me, but it needs to have a good tremolo system and i would prefer a white or coloured guitar, dont really like black. I play alot of steve vai, joe satriani and that type of stuff.

if you need a good trem for the vai/satch stuff, then avoid the 350. The ibanez trems on the rgs only really start getting good at the 1570.

You're gonna be really pissed off if you buy a guitar with a subpar trem if you play a lot of satch and vai. Believe me, I do too, and I've been there with a crappy trem.

I know what you're saying about not liking black (as I said, I'm not fussed either), but you can multiply how annoyed you'll be at a black guitar by about a thousand if you end up with a crappy trem, especially if you had the option of a guitar with a good trem and turned it down because of the colour.

Recently ibanez has released the edge zero, and it's on most of the RGs now... not sure how good it is, but I don't think they're made by gotoh in japan any more. Personally, i'd try to get an older one with an edge pro, but that's just me. Plus they're generally cheaper too (though older stock sometimes isn't in as good nick, so that's worth bearing in mind too).

If you're willing to go used you have a lot more options, but even if you're not, that 1570 i linked to is just about within range if you can stretch to the £600 you mentioned.

Quote by makutoid
if you're looking at ibanez and you want a good trem system, i wouldn't trust the RG series.. I've had loads of friends who have bought them and been horribly let down by the floyd copy. They manage dives pretty well, but they're impossible when it comes to changing tuning and restringing. I mean, floyd's aren't designed to do that very easily anyway but I've heard so many awful reviews of the cheap ones they put on the mid/low range RG series.

agreed if you're talking about the cheaper, non-MIJ RGs.

But the trems on the MIJ RGs are great- certainly the older models with edge pros, edges or lo-pro edges. As i said, I don't know how the edge zero will hold up, plus it's a different ball bearing design anyway.

Ibanez should really just put the edge back on the prestiges and J-Customs. That's what they're doing with the signature models now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The older MIJ rg550/570s usually go for even cheaper then the prestige rg1570s and are the same quality give or take yet are worth less because they dont say prestige on them.

Some prefer the edge/lo pros that are equipped on these models to the edge pros

Also if a less boring colour is your thing it shouldnt be too difficult to find a used rg550 in a bright colour of sorts. Might even have money to upgrade the pups afterwards

The rg350m is pretty much a copy of a rg550 but lower quality and cheaper parts which renders it pretty useless to the educated buyer since you can pick up an rg550 for that price really easily.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 4, 2011,
If I had £500 to spend on a guitar, any guitar.

I'd buy a Peavey PXD Void II and then I'd customise it electronically with the change.

Last edited by treborillusion at Apr 5, 2011,
Page 1 of 2