Well it has a larger variety of sounds than my POD, and some amps which are really cool. One thing however which I noticed is that the sound quality is not really better than the HDs as I have heard others mention here. I dont know if its worst, but its comparable. It feels very tube like as does the HD, but still misses something. I think for the listener it will be just like a tube amp, but playing it, one can feel there is something missing.

Long story short, it is not better, but it does have more sounds.
Prepare for G5 to come bitch slap your ass.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I felt the same way. When you play with distortion, it just doesn't "feel" right. It sounds great, the best modeling unit I have heard, but I definitely agree with you it doesn't feel quite like playing out of a tube amp.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
never having played it, you should have someone plug you into a couple amps and the axe fx without you looking. Sure it might be that you really do notice something, but it's easy to develop a "bias" towards something because of being digital, not realistic, etc.

again no real experience with the axefx, just a suggestion.
Honk
what did you play it out of? When I did it, we used a VHT power amp to drive it.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Yes let's hear what you think after a test like what Mukersman said!! Peavey has done tests like this with a Peavey Bandit (seriously) and guitarists could not tell when they were playing out of the Bandit, a solid state amp, versus the tube amps in the test.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
i'm down to do that test. the only condition is that the gain on all the amps in the test has to be up all the way.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I would of thought the Axe FX would take a lot of tweaking before you could make valid assumption of what it sounds like. It's not really the kind of gear you turn on straight away and get that wow factor. Well, at least for me anyway.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
I would of thought the Axe FX would take a lot of tweaking before you could make valid assumption of what it sounds like. It's not really the kind of gear you turn on straight away and get that wow factor. Well, at least for me anyway.

Nah, I tried, and it took some work. The pod is the same way. The default presets are kinda lame. The AXE FX has better defaul presets, but once you start tweeking I feel like there is no improvement except for some amps I love missing in the pod.
semi-unrelated, but do the hi-gain amp modules sound better after the update? I played a non-updated one and the low-mid gain was great, but the high gain was just meh.
Just wonderin'
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

I'm gonna say I didn't really prefer either one over the other. I liked the highs a bit better on the HD 300. It's true that the AXE FX is way closer to what a Rec sounds like, but I can't really say it's much better, especially for 1000 bucks more.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Just listened to that clip. Very good comparison. Honestly - they sound very similar. And I liked the Pod better.
It seems I am not the only one. I thought they both have things that beat the other. I thought they were on the same level.

I would think if someone played all three (hd, axe, real amp) I wouldnt tell the different if well eqd. If im playing I probably would not be able to differ the hd and axe, but the amp would feel nicer to play.
From that video comparison I would say that the Axe sounds a little more defined and less fizzy, however, not by enough for me to consider buying an Axe-FX. IMO, at $300ish the Pod HD300 is a steal and can't be beat for practicing.

On a side note, regarding modelers being compared to the real thing. The biggest thing I've noticed (haven't played an Axe though, so I can't speak to that) is a drop in dynamics. They still fall rather short of the responsiveness of a tube amp.
from that video it i would assume the e.q. on the hd needs tweaking with more low end..I hate video comparisons...you can make any amp sound crappy
the POD does the same as the Axe Fx for a hell of a lot less cash. personally neither of them are really my kind of thing but when i played both of them side by side there wasn't a massive difference in them. i preferred the Axe Fx but even if i was going to buy one of them its not worth the extra cash, i'd go for the POD if i had to choose or if suddenly Tube Amps were extinct
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
IMO its all about tweaking.. the axe lets you tweak more.

On a recording, with cab sims and post production, you can't say which sounds better.. There's not much of a fair comparison.

How the unit performs live is what is important to me, if you're talking about it replacing a tube amp in your rig. For me, the pod HD can't touch the axe.. I don't have mine sounding where I want it, but that is a long journey.
/rig
Quote by mespinos
IMO its all about tweaking.. the axe lets you tweak more.

On a recording, with cab sims and post production, you can't say which sounds better.. There's not much of a fair comparison.

How the unit performs live is what is important to me, if you're talking about it replacing a tube amp in your rig. For me, the pod HD can't touch the axe.. I don't have mine sounding where I want it, but that is a long journey.

From the many hours I got to spend with the AXE FX with the same cabinets and amps, I was always able to match the sound of the AXE FX with the HD. I am not saying that it sounds close, but to me it sounds every bit as good, and in some cases it can do better, just as the Axe did in other cases. The Axe FX had some amp models that the HD misses but that I really enjoyed. The Diezel for example was awesome. Quality wise, however there is really no difference. The AXE FX has more amps, but I liked the FX of the line6 better for the most part.

Clean channel wise, neither could get all that close to that of my evans.

I do hope line 6 adds the vh4 through an update. That was something that really really made me like the AXE FX
Last edited by nyandres at Apr 5, 2011,