See I have a few hard 1.1-ish tortex picks I never use but when I switched my strings to slinky ones, both the thin and thick picks work fine.

I was wondering what combination you guys use?
I hate my previous setup with normal strings and thick picks. They were too resistant and my wrist would hurt less than 2 hrs of practice. With my current setup I'm able to practice >4 hours straight!!
Thin strings + thin picks =

I hate and I mean HATE thick picks. I just can't stand them. The thickest I use are 0.60 dunlop Tortex. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some 0.50 the next time I have to get some.

For strings I use Earnie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 and that are by far the best strings I've ever played. On my electric.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I use 10-46 in drop c and D standard, and 60-8 on my 7 string tuned half step down(27" scale).

I use mad dog brain picks. They are 1.14mm with grip on each side.

I like my strings a bit loose,and my picks a bit hard.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I use 10-46 earnie ball slinkies and a fender medium. I use to use really thin picks and 9s but I can't stand the floppyness of the pick any more and like the tone of the thicker strings.
no sir away a papaya war is on
10 gauge for standard tuning and 12 gauge for dropped B tuning. I use Ultex Jazz III's.
All of the above =
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
Tried thin picks and found they were as much use as pork sandwiches at a Barmitzvah.

Now I use only the marble from the graves of orphans on strings that can hold the Golden Gate aloft.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
How on earth can your pick affect your wrist to this degree?

Quote by jedi_obigwan
See I have a few hard 1.1-ish tortex picks I never use but when I switched my strings to slinky ones, both the thin and thick picks work fine.

I was wondering what combination you guys use?
I hate my previous setup with normal strings and thick picks. They were too resistant and my wrist would hurt less than 2 hrs of practice. With my current setup I'm able to practice >4 hours straight!!
Masturbating between solos?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by jedi_obigwan

I think you may be holding the pick incorrectly. There really is no incorrect ways, just better ways.
If you use heavy picks, you have to choke up on them. I hold my pick sideways so part or the back is hitting the string. There's about 1/8" of my pick visible.
What genre(s) do you play?

The wrist hurting is most likely because of improper techniques, or the pain is just natural.
..I was watching my death.
Well I can't play yet fast but I'm currently practicing Technical Difficulties and some easier Jrock (Siam Shade, Wada Kouji) songs.
i use dunlop jazz III's and ernie ball 10-52's on all my electrics bar the strat which is 10-48.

its all personal preference.
I used to use .60 for ages on gauge 10s then I moved to .73 and felt like I had tons more control.. and then recently I moved to gauge 12 strings again and bought 1.14 picks and now I have tons of control in both playing and picking.
Dunlop Jazz 3 for precision, with Elixir Mediums because I drop tune and find playing chunky strings makes me more accurate.

I play rhythm focused riffs, and have a progressive metal attitude. I like the hard hitting, percussive and sharp high gain sound, and the jazz 3s work pretty well for that.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 5, 2011,
Thin strings are dumb.
D'addario 11's
Dunlop .60 tortex or .90 ultex, depending on my mood, and if the gnomes are being considerate.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
.12-.54 on my First Act Guitars (C#)

.13-.56 on my Electra and my Guild (D Standard)

.11-.50 on my Les Paul

2.75mm or 4.75mm picks
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge