Hi i recently wanted to start getting some pedals and
replace the string that came with the guitar.

Here are a few questions that i have

Question 1
what is the order of buying pedals.
i don't have a lot of money on hand right new (about $450 .i am still in high school)
what should i get first... second .... etc.
(My friend suggest me to get compressor and EQ)
are they useful?

Question 2
I am thinking of getting
1. DigiTech TL-2 HardWire Metal Distortion
2. Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Which one should i get ?
Or is there a better suggestion

Question 3
are D'Addario EXL140 guitar strings(52-10) good ?
I am thinking of getting them
and will i be able to use them on my guitar ? -Ibanez s570b
(i heard some string will have too much tension for ur guitar or something)
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Last edited by sss880367 at Apr 4, 2011,
Firstly - how long have you been playing? It may be better at this stage to save your cash and focus on improving as a guitarist. Then you can start getting out there and upgrading your equipment and buying pedals.

As for the choice of pedals? Try them out - whatever sounds best to your ears is the right choice. Remeber to put a little distance between yourself and the amp why testing gear in the shop - after all, the audience at a gig aren't going to be stood in the same position as you are when playing. Also - always try new gear with either your own equipment as a near as possible in the store. No point in owning a Squire Bullet and a 15w Marshall MG and then trying out a Tubescreamer with a Gibson LP Custom through a Bogner head and 4x12...

As for your choice of strings - those will work with your guitar. But what's on there at the moment? You may require a set-up. As you sound as if you haven't been playing that long I would recommend a lighter gauge on the low strings.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Firstly - how long have you been playing? It may be better at this stage to save your cash and focus on improving as a guitarist. Then you can start getting out there and upgrading your equipment and buying pedals.

As for the choice of pedals? Try them out - whatever sounds best to your ears is the right choice. Remeber to put a little distance between yourself and the amp why testing gear in the shop - after all, the audience at a gig aren't going to be stood in the same position as you are when playing. Also - always try new gear with either your own equipment as a near as possible in the store. No point in owning a Squire Bullet and a 15w Marshall MG and then trying out a Tubescreamer with a Gibson LP Custom through a Bogner head and 4x12...

As for your choice of strings - those will work with your guitar. But what's on there at the moment? You may require a set-up. As you sound as if you haven't been playing that long I would recommend a lighter gauge on the low strings.

I am not sure wat string is on my guitar now.
its the original one that came with the guitar .
Why is a lighter gauge on the low string better ?
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
When you initially start playing guitar you have to build up the strength in your hands. The easiest way of doing this is to use lighter gauge strings initially and, if you still want to go heavier then work your way up gradually.

I'd guess the strings that came with the guitar would be standard 9s or 10s (the set you mentioned as a consideration would be a medium-to-heavy set). I'd guess that most of the stuff you'd listen to would be in standard tuning so would suggest a set of standard 10s for the time being.
thank you every much, but what exactly are 10s ?

btw. anyone else have advise for me ?
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Dude, you have a Vypyr 30. What on earth do you need pedals for? Invest in a Sanpera, and be done with it. You can get a used Sanpera I for like $50. it's more than enough, as long as you're not gigging, in which case I highly recommend the II.

As for strings, it doesn't really matter. No string is better than another. They're all just slightly different. You'll have to try out different brands and gauges yourself, to find out what you like. There really is no other way to find what strings you like but trial and error.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
do u really need pedals with that peavey vypyr? i mean it has a ton of effects.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I mean. I cant get the sound that i wanted with the amp

and im just wondering if i am going to get pedals.
what should be the most important ones to get first.

and also do guitar center let people try the pedals ?
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Last edited by sss880367 at Apr 4, 2011,
What sound are you trying to get? I find it really hard to believe that there's something that at the very least you can't even ballpark with the Vypyr.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What sound are you trying to get? I find it really hard to believe that there's something that at the very least you can't even ballpark with the Vypyr.

im not sure how to say this.
when i try to do a cover of songs
i try to make it sound as close as to the original sound.
but using the amps effects doesnt seem to work for me
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Quote by sss880367
im not sure how to say this.
when i try to do a cover of songs
i try to make it sound as close as to the original sound.
but using the amps effects doesnt seem to work for me

Could you give an example? I have owned multiple Vypyrs over the course of a few years, maybe I could help you out.

Also, something to keep in mind is that is a low end modeling amp, at the end of the day. It sounds really good for what it costs, but don't expect to "nail" any tone perfectly, as it just doesn't possess the technology to do that. AFAIK, modeling technology in general still isn't able to properly model the dynamics of tube amps.

I can say though that in most cases, the Vypyr will sound better than any pedals you can buy, unless they're really nice/boutique pedals. Even then, those pedals (or any pedals really) probably wouldn't sound very good, or at least they wouldn't sound "right" through your Vypyr, because it's a modeling amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 5, 2011,
the only pedal i can really recomend dude is the sanpara pedal. it will let you have a ton more presets and possibly bring you closer to your desired tone. any other pedal recomendation would be a waste because it already has everything.

what kind of sound are you trying to get that you possibly cant acheive? bands? songs?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Haven't tried the Vyper, but from what I've read I'd be inclined to agree with the other comments here in terms of what you (don't) need in terms of pedals.

As for 10s? They are the gauge of the (high E) strings. 0.01 of an inch. Usually major brands will have the most common sets; 8s, 9s, 10s and 11s. It's a matter of taste as to what you prefer - try a few out.
Tony Iommi of Sabbath played 8s tuned to C# - not generally recommended but the slackness of the strings made it easier on his damaged finger tipsa.
Slash prefers 11s, according to Ernie Ball's ads over the past 10 or so years. He generally tunes to E standard or Eb.
From personal experience it seems that the majority of guitars ship in 9s or 10s. I prefer 11s on shorter scale/humbucker-loaded guitars whereas my Teles have 10s on. There's an Ibanez tuned down to C standard with a set of 13s on, too.
if you have $450 why on earth dnt you buy a better amp?

i mean yeah fair enough many people love vypyrs yadadada but theyre just mediocre practice amps, i would stronly suggest getting a new amp

(i assume your american so with that kind of budget i can se eyou doing well with an amp)
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by mikeb2817
if you have $450 why on earth dnt you buy a better amp?

i mean yeah fair enough many people love vypyrs yadadada but theyre just mediocre practice amps, i would stronly suggest getting a new amp

(i assume your american so with that kind of budget i can se eyou doing well with an amp)

I would agree here, get a good second hand amp or one of them few fender mustang II or III they seem to be the best beginer/getting better amps on the go at the moment (dunno aything about vipers they could be the same as above).

Another word from the not so wise, be patient with your gear, it takes a while to getused to modifying the tone of an amp and getting an ear for " I want this tone so turn up knob x and down knob y etc" especially on modeling amp that have a tonne of settings. I have an adjustable wah for the past year and only recently found its sweet spot

Strings, start with 10's, when you start to develop your own style you will know to go lighter or heavier. Spend you time practicing now and them sort of little details will sort themselfs out in time (sorry if Isound preachy, its early)
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
The vypyr has plenty of effects an sounds. If you're asking us what kind of pedals to get; play around with the amp a bit more and if you don't have it already, the basic Sanpera is a solid way of getting the most out of that amp and it's effects.

See what effects you really use, and go from there. Find your sound first. If you already know that sound then go from there. As far as any pedals go with the Vypyr, you can't really go wrong with an EQ. I'm waiting for my amp to arrive and that's the next thing on my list to get because you can fine tune your tone how you want it. EQ's pretty versatile and gives you considerably more control than you have with the amp.
However, I've started to find my tone, and this is an option for me because I lack the level of control that I need. Also, I'm getting a low wattage valve amp that doesn't have a proper EQ
You may not need it yet and look into playing with your amp settings to see what sort of sounds are on offer, but starter amps weren't half as good as the vypyr when I started.

As far as strings... if you find what you have loose, try one size up or something.... all personal preference. What tunings do you use?
Personally I use 11s for a Drop D set-up. I found slinkies lose by half a year of playing, but I'm almost 20 so I already had a bit of strength built up. Lol.
I can recommend elixirs as they last longer and keep their tone well for longer. You won't have to change strings as often and they're cheaper in the long term.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 5, 2011,