im sorry if this is the wrong thread but does anyone know how to get the tone on "face down" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? i heard the song for the first time yesterday and have to make a cover for my friends' project by tomarrow. any help would be appreciated. thanks!

here is the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nckjoBALgM
Oh hey, I didn't see you there
Well you of course will not be able to get the exact tone they have, and I'm no expert on tone, but here are some basic tips:

Use a heavy pick like 1mm apposed to .5mm
Use a British voiced amp with light distortion
Use a guitar with humbuckers, I would play with the neck pick up only, but my humbucker guitar is somewhat twangy when I play from the bridge, so it might be different for you
Have your middle and treble at about 70% and your bass at about 50%
Use light reverb either post production or on the amp

That should get you reasonably close. Beyond that, it will depend on what gear and recording equipment you have available to you.
Quote by KurdtStaley
Well you of course will not be able to get the exact tone they have, and I'm no expert on tone, but here are some basic tips:

Use a heavy pick like 1mm apposed to .5mm
Use a British voiced amp with light distortion
Use a guitar with humbuckers, I would play with the neck pick up only, but my humbucker guitar is somewhat twangy when I play from the bridge, so it might be different for you
Have your middle and treble at about 70% and your bass at about 50%
Use light reverb either post production or on the amp

That should get you reasonably close. Beyond that, it will depend on what gear and recording equipment you have available to you.

thanks for your help so far...i guess i couldve told you what gear i had

anyways, i have the line 6 pod ux1 and pod farm, so i have alot of gear at my fingertips
Oh hey, I didn't see you there
I haven't used any of line 6's stuff so I don't have any advice specific to your gear. If it does "amp modeling" I'd recommend use a Marshall and it's natural distortion. You want more of an overdrive than a distortion, probably don't want a metal setting. You might also want to use a light delay, it will fatten up your sound like reverb. Either or both would help.

Edit: play around with a EQ a bit as well. The settings in my first post is a good place to start but I'm sure it's not perfect.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Apr 4, 2011,