Page 5 of 7
Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold)
Rob Bourdon (Linkin Park)
Micheal Thomas (Bullet For My Valentine)
This thread is seriously lacking in Brann Dailor.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Keith Moon (The Who, if you don't know who he is why are you even here?)
Zach Hill (Hella, solo, absolute MONSTER)
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)
Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Abe Cunningham (Deftones)
Steve Shelley (Sonic Youth)
Winterhalter (Amesoeurs, Peste Noire)
Joey Castillo (Danzig, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Mark Lanegan, dude is good enough that he turned down offers from Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies, one of the most underrated drummers out there. He got into Queens of the Stone Age by going to one practice with no audition, and played half of one song before Josh Homme walked out of the room; he returned several minutes later saying "Alright, I just fired the drummer, tour starts tomorrow.")
Last edited by The Last Dandy at Jan 11, 2012,
That doesn't change the fact that there is no excuse to be a drummer and not know who Keith Moon is, genius. That's like playing guitar and not knowing who Hendrix is. Christ, if there's one guarantee on UG, it's that no matter what you say, someone's going to argue with it as if you said something completely different.

Anyway, back on topic, I consider Moon the most important/recognizable drummer in rock, but as far as my FAVORITE, especially among the living, I'm definitely giving it to this man -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI (those splash mutes at 0:57 are one of the most insane things I've ever seen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
Last edited by The Last Dandy at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by The Last Dandy
That doesn't change the fact that there is no excuse to be a drummer and not know who Keith Moon is, genius. That's like playing guitar and not knowing who Hendrix is. Christ, if there's one guarantee on UG, it's that no matter what you say, someone's going to argue with it as if you said something completely different.

Anyway, back on topic, I consider Moon the most important/recognizable drummer in rock

I'm sorry, what?

I've never heard of Keith Moon, or I have but didn't associate the name with the drummer. There is no excuse, what crap. That's like saying "You don't know who Terry Bozzio and Gavin Harrison are? You can't be a real drummer because you've never heard of them"

OT: I've been getting more into Thomas Pridgen lately, I like his whole controlled chaos thing he has going on (It's a term he used to describe playing with Mars Volta)
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Last edited by Niiko at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by The Last Dandy
That doesn't change the fact that there is no excuse to be a drummer and not know who Keith Moon is, genius.

Don't listen to rock, don't play rock drums, never heard of keith moon. Does that somehow make my drumming invalid?
I do play some rock and punk here and there, but 95% of my playing is ska, reggae, and jazz.
Jeff Porcaro (Toto and many others as a session drummer including Michael Jackson's Thriller)
Simon Phillips (Toto, Judas Priest, The Who, Michael Schenker etc.)
Phil Collins (Genesis, Brand X)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Transatlantic)
Phil Collins
Gavin Harrison
Clyde Stubblefield
Andy Newmark
Stanton Moore
Dave Lombardo
Paul Bostaph

Crikey I could go on and on

*controversy alert*
For the record, I think Keith Moon is an over rated buffoon, some of his playing is out of time and sloppy which is totally unacceptable IMO.
Don't even get me started on Ringo
Jason Costa from All That Remains. Notice how he holds the drumsticks.

Mike Portnoy

AND Cobus Potgieter, the youtube guy.

I'm sure Jason Costa is a good drummer, but after I saw some of the videos of Six live it kind of put me off him. Some major tempo issues at times, but everyone has off days.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by gateway01
Neil Peart

'nuff said

Meh, every clip I've seen of him has left me stone cold.
Doesn't help that I'm not a Rush fan either
Quote by christian hicks
Jean-Paul Gaster of clutch. He is the reason I want to learn the drums. And he has ruined me for listening to other bands. The drums just sound boring in other bands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWhXFHwEVo

This man speaks the truth. Gaster is an incredible drummer. I saw Clutch in Boston a few years ago and in the middle of their encore, they let him go off on an unbelievable solo, which consisted of him doing all kinds of really cool nuanced stuff and not just taking a monster dump on the drums.
Brad Davis

And Mike Fuentes

I tried setting my snare up the way Fuentes does (angled forward). I don't understand the practicality of it at all.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Quote by Scribbllez
I tried setting my snare up the way Fuentes does (angled forward). I don't understand the practicality of it at all.

I used to angle it slightly forward. It's just a way of making it easier to get rim shots.
^^ It's done a lot in jazz, I read somewhere that it takes it roots in snare drum marching in the army. They have their drums at an angle because it hangs off their bodies (Generally to the left I think), couple that with their traditional grip and it makes sense.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
i used to tilt mine to the side when i played traditional grip. I read somewhere that the tilted snare is to facilitate better rim shots when playing traditional grip.
Vinnie Colaiuta
Jack Dejohnette
Stewart Copeland
Antonio Sanchez
Roy Haynes
Carter Beauford

Scott Phillips (Creed, Alter Bridge)

Nick Augusto (Trivium)
"Dreams fucking come true!" - Myles Kennedy
Last edited by steve987 at Apr 18, 2012,

jimmy bower
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nils Fjellstrom

The man from Septic Flesh (Fotis Benardo)
Brann Dailor
Mike Portnoy
and last but not least, Dave lombardo.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Apr 19, 2012,
I have scrolled through this entire thread to make sure I am justified in saying this:
Everyone is forgetting Mike Mangini! Worlds Fastest Drummer for a while, Now in with Dream Theater, and trust me, his drum solo when DT are playing live is absolutely mind blowing.

But to add to my list in no particular order:
Neil Peart
The Rev (R.I.P)
Matt Halpern
Mike Portnoy
Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)
Danny Krash. You won't have heard of him, he's from a band called Knock Out Kaine. I know them personally though!
Zac Farro (Paramore) isn't bad
Steven Adler
DAVE GROHL!