How And What Do?
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
The bass drum is tuned to the same note as the lowest string on a guitar. The toms are tuned to the 5th, 4th, and 3rd string. the snare, I have no idea.

/does not play drums and is not an expert
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Are you being serious?
If so,
You tune the drums in a star pattern. You go from 1 peg to the opposite untill you get the desired sound. Tap on the head near all the pegs and adjust them all so they are at the same pitch.
For toms and kick you want the Batter and the back heads to be tuned the same.
With the snare, just experiment. I prefer a tight snare with the back producing a medium pitch.
..I was watching my death.
There technically is no "tuning" on a drum. You can get a drum key for about $2 at a local music store. I find it best to put the head on and then try to turn each peg about the same at first, so you end up with a close sound, then just simply adjust it from there. Someone already mentioned the star shape. You can buy drum tuners, but honestly, they're not worth it.

To get a desired drum sound, you have to experiment with the tightness of the drums on all sides until you find something that you like.
Quote by timbit2006
Are you being serious?
If so,
You tune the drums in a star pattern. You go from 1 peg to the opposite untill you get the desired sound. Tap on the head near all the pegs and adjust them all so they are at the same pitch.
For toms and kick you want the Batter and the back heads to be tuned the same.
With the snare, just experiment. I prefer a tight snare with the back producing a medium pitch.

Having them the same is just a solid starting point. Loads of drummer prefer to have the reso side heads tighter/higher pitched than the batter side and vice versa.

With snare drums, apparently, the reso side doesn't really affect the batter as much, so you can crank it as high as you want. You don't want the reso side too tight otherwise the strainers won't be as effective, but you don't want it too loose either.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Yes, as mentioned, tune them in a star pattern

If you're tuning newer heads, don't crank them right away, tighten them bit by bit so you don't stretch out the heads and warp them too much. As far as tuning them goes, it's all preference

Personally, I crank my snare and keep my toms relatively loose
Holy hell, when did we get a drum forum? This is awesome.

Anyways, idk if there's any set tuning for a drum, I normally tune the drums till they sound punchy, but still loose enough to get alot of bass in there. I normally tune the kick to the lowest pitch on the piano, and the snare to the highest key, and then step down the toms accordingly.

I use a lot of feel when tuning drums so my method is rather...complex.
When I tune the kick drum, I put it as low as it can get just before it is wrinkly. I then make sure it's all tuned evenly on both sides.
..I was watching my death.