Page 1 of 2
So I went shopping for my JCA50H yesterday (online, none near me at retail locations) and I ordered it on Musicians Friend because they didn't charge tax/shipping while other online retailers charged one or the other.

After about an hour I got an email telling me it was backordered and I've have to wait a week for it to be in stock before even being sent out. Seeing as one was on ebay, brand new from a mom n' pop music store I decided to cancel my MF order and order the ebay one.

Figuring at worst I'd cancel my order, and at best get a 5-10% discount for going for MF. I called, said why I wanted to cancel, and that was that.

Talk about customer service from the biggest online music retailer. You'd think over a $500 sale they'd offer me some percentage off to earn my business over going somewhere else - but nothing. What a bunch of ****ing morons...

So regardless, I am happy. Just surprised at how stupid MF are.
You know what's more fail than your story?

Buying from Musician's Friend.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
they could really care less man.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Hmm, it clearly says (in red type) that the head will be available April 12.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
OP is just really really dumb

bubb, what is wrong with musician's friend? My dad got a 2,200 gibson lp for 700$ from them, I'd say that's a nice deal.
I wouldn't have given you a discount either, that is ridiculous that you would expect a discount from a retailer just because you threatened to cancel your order.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Really? Everyone's so up in arms over this.

The way I figure it is, if it was me on the phone as the customer service rep I wouldn't let any sale go out of my hands that easily. Do any of you have any sort of sales related job that you're criticizing me so heavily for at least expecting their representative to have tried a tiny bit harder, other than just saying "OK, cancelled."

I'm not even saying I would have ordered it had they given me a $25 discount - I would've rather had it sooner regardless - I'm just surprised that the biggest online musical equipment retailer didn't at least try. Grow up and look at it from a bad business point of view.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 4, 2011,
I work in the retail industry and its the same thing with us. Just had something similar a few weeks ago, sold a guy a display tv that was being replaced with an updated model. He wanted a discount on it because it was the display and it didn't have the remote. We told him we could give him a remote, but he kept pushing, so I gave him the option of taking ten dollars off (the price of the remote we were going to give him) and he finally took that. I actually ended up selling a $50 service plan on it too but people like that piss me off. Its no skin off our teeth, we can sell it to someone who won't push for a discount with ease
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I didn't ask for anything, but was expecting the guy to pitch it to me at least - like hey, if you wait the extra 2-3 weeks, we'll take $20 bucks off your next order of $100 type deal.

People fight for business - is it really that weird that I was a little shocked to see someone not even attempt to?
no retailer is obligated to sell anything to anyone.

we reserve to the right to refuse service.

seriously they couldn't care less.

like what are they gonna do magically make one appear faster?

The bigger a company gets the less they care about individual sales like that though. If a company was just starting out they would want your business and your purchase because every sale matters, but with a company as big as MF I doubt you see that sort of mentality. I've always found their actual customer service department to be very helpful though.

I mean look at Wal-Mart. Anything stolen from the store under $20 and they don't even press charges, or probably care for that matter. They've got a big enough cushion that they can do pretty much whatever they want.
Quote by chip46
The bigger a company gets the less they care about individual sales like that though. If a company was just starting out they would want your business and your purchase because every sale matters, but with a company as big as MF I doubt you see that sort of mentality. I've always found their actual customer service department to be very helpful though.

I mean look at Wal-Mart. Anything stolen from the store under $20 and they don't even press charges, or probably care for that matter. They've got a big enough cushion that they can do pretty much whatever they want.

Yet Wal Mart loses over a billion dollars a year to retail shrink. Still a big deal. I understand the pressing charges, but the company still has entire corporate departments devoted to stopping shoplifting.

And again - whats with all the hate? I'm just saying I sort of expected a large online retailer to wonder more why you're cancelling an order. I've had customer service people offer stuff before over similar things - its essentially what they're there for.

I'm not bitching or acting like I'm getting "back at the man". Thanks for all of your mature/ rational/ relevant responses.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Grow up and look at it from a bad business point of view.

Seems to me like you want us to look at it from your heavily opinionated view point and not our own whose basis we derive ourselves. Seems like everyone here cares about as much as Musician's Friend did
Quote by chip46

Wal-Mart may not press charges but you bet your ass you get fined, not sure what it is in every state but up here it can be up to $200. The only thing that changes if they press charges is the police get involved and it goes on your criminal record and you have to pay a fine to the government as well.

Where Wal Mart or any other large corporation loses money in shrink is in damaged and expired items.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Just thought it might bring up an interesting topic of discussion, as I am currently waiting for my new amp to come in and want to play it.

Instead flame war of internet smart asses begins.

EDIT: To the post above me - generally damaged items are sent back and the company may or may not only lose shipping charges. Wal Mart has such heavy leverage over its suppliers I doubt they even pay for the shipping charges. With a much heavier focus on grocery items in recent years - they might have more losses in fresh produce - but most of the Wal Mart's I see (few, because I hate setting foot in them) don't carry much fresh produce.
Why are you entitled to a discount just from canceling your order? If they did that, and everyone knew about it, what would stop people from canceling orders just for the discount?

You aren't owed anything. If anything, you owe them a sale because you were too impatient to wait a week.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Major Sparky
Why are you entitled to a discount just from canceling your order. If they did that, and everyone knew about it, what would stop people from canceling orders just for the discount.

You arent owed anything. If anything, you owe them a sale because you were too impatient to wait a week.

Wrong lil' douchebag - I got what I wanted from a different avenue, faster. Everyone made out happy is part of the original point I was making, which many people seemed to have missed. At no point have I said I deserve something, I'm saying, for the 10th time it seems, that I expect a customer service rep to try and maintain a sale. He didn't and I got what I wanted regardless - my amp delivered to my door before the weekend.
Hate and apathy are two entirely different beasts.

We don't hate you - we simply don't care.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Hate and apathy are two entirely different beasts.

We don't hate you - we simply don't care.

Then why bother posting?

This is at least keeping me entertained for the evening
Because I'm bored and enjoy making people feel stupid.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Wrong lil' douchebag - I got what I wanted from a different avenue, faster. Everyone made out happy is part of the original point I was making, which many people seemed to have missed. At no point have I said I deserve something, I'm saying, for the 10th time it seems, that I expect a customer service rep to try and maintain a sale. He didn't and I got what I wanted regardless - my amp delivered to my door before the weekend.

You've also said many times that you expected him to pitch it to you and offer you a discount. Do you really think there entire business is riding on your purchase? If it was a local mom and pop store, then I can see reason for them to give you a discount, but it's not. Quit crying about how you didn't get what you want, and about how not everyone doesn't see your ridiculous point of view.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
i mean the issue is that it's not profitable for them to offer you an incentive to wait for an item that's on backorder.

Think about it...they have tons of items on back order. If they offered an incentive for every item that wasn't there at the time of purchase it would be like a bizzlzzlzion dollars.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Just thought it might bring up an interesting topic of discussion, as I am currently waiting for my new amp to come in and want to play it.

Instead flame war of internet smart asses begins.

EDIT: To the post above me - generally damaged items are sent back and the company may or may not only lose shipping charges. Wal Mart has such heavy leverage over its suppliers I doubt they even pay for the shipping charges. With a much heavier focus on grocery items in recent years - they might have more losses in fresh produce - but most of the Wal Mart's I see (few, because I hate setting foot in them) don't carry much fresh produce.

it depends, if an item was returned in the appropriate time period and it is damaged then yes, but there are tons of items that get damaged in the store every day that they don't get reimbursed for. Also fresh produce isn't the only thing that can expire, every food item in the store has a sell by date and especially if the employees stocking the shelves don't follow the proper procedure and put the new stuff in the back you see a lot of things expiring.

Back to the original point you are being self righteous to expect that they cater to you because you'd rather cancel your order than wait a couple weeks for it. As evidenced by the reaction to your original post.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by AcousticMirror
i mean the issue is that it's not profitable for them to offer you an incentive to wait for an item that's on backorder.

Think about it...they have tons of items on back order. If they offered an incentive for every item that wasn't there at the time of purchase it would be like a bizzlzzlzion dollars.

and there is a reason its on backorder...
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I'mtoughontheinternetzandlikecallingpeoplenameseventhoughi'm15
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
I'mtoughontheinternetzandlikecallingpeoplenameseventhoughi'm15

Hey, didn't you call me douchebag like 5 posts ago?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Hey, didn't you call me douchebag like 5 posts ago?

Oh absolutely - because you, not alone, are acting like a douchebag. There's a way to say things when expressing your opinion, and there isn't.

Because 1 person says a rude thing over the internet does not mean the next person is obliged to make another rude comment. I.E. **** off, no one really cares what anyone else thinks over the internet when they disagree.
how are we being rude? are we not entitled to our opinion that its ridiculous for you to expect a discount because you didn't want to wait?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Oh absolutely - because you, not alone, are acting like a douchebag. There's a way to say things when expressing your opinion, and there isn't.

Because 1 person says a rude thing over the internet does not mean the next person is obliged to make another rude comment. I.E. **** off, no one really cares what anyone else thinks over the internet when they disagree.

So why do you keep arguing with us?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
So why do you keep arguing with us?

because it's a monday night and I have nothing better to do but sit, play guitar, and keep watching this thread. same as chip. except i have a few girl scout cookie thin mints sitting next to me instead of popcorn.

That, and I believe that you are an inbred hill billy for randomly jumping into an internet argument that was winding down on its own.
i really could care less about the whole situation. large companies have bad customer service generally, and it gets worse when you arn't in an actual location talking face to face with someone. i now will sit back and watch
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Page 1 of 2