Page 7 of 7
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Several additions to my kit over the past few weeks/months, though I might share them with you (and if it serves to re-kick-start activity in this forum, that's all the better )

The new additions in question:
Sabian HHX Stage Hats 14"
Sabian (again) AAX Splash 8"
Sabian (noticing a theme?) AAX-Plosion Crash 20"
Sabian AAX-Treme China 19"
and also
Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer Snare (14x6.5)

All the cymbals were bought from eBay (used), however all are in very good shape, and acquired for less than half shop prices. Definitely shop around, no reason to pay anywhere near full price for any cymbal

Plan view

And one question before I leave: Soon I plan on changing the heads (both batter and reso) on at least my toms. Since my rack tom seems to be much less resonant than my floors, causing me to cover my toms in moongel and tape, I'm planning on getting an emperor on the batter for the 12", and pinstripes on the 14" and 16" (and ambassador resos for all). This mixing of heads shouldn't cause any problems, should it? (Bearing in mind the only difference between Remo emperors and pinstripes is that pinstripes have that ring around them.)
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by Lordyboy

And one question before I leave: Soon I plan on changing the heads (both batter and reso) on at least my toms. Since my rack tom seems to be much less resonant than my floors, causing me to cover my toms in moongel and tape, I'm planning on getting an emperor on the batter for the 12", and pinstripes on the 14" and 16" (and ambassador resos for all). This mixing of heads shouldn't cause any problems, should it? (Bearing in mind the only difference between Remo emperors and pinstripes is that pinstripes have that ring around them.)

I don't think so, no. I am not a massive fan of pinstripes, but it's better than moongels and duck-tape I suppose

Here is the latest addition to my kit, a root-beer fade 16" starclassic maple. It's been converted from a hanging tom to a floor tom using a reversible DSS mount:

Also, I use Evans heads because they are generally the cheapest. That's it. No brand whoring or anything like that. I'm tempted to get another DSS mount for the 14" tom, to stop it swinging around like a mofo whenever I hit it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Feb 20, 2013,
Second Rate
814 IQ
Quote by Lordyboy

I had clear pinstripes on my tom toms for a while and found that i had to use moongel to tame them. If you're looking to avoid using moongel, i would suggest some type of medium or heavy weight single ply head with a built in muffle ring. And mixing heads shouldn't have any type of adverse effect on your sound.

Oh, that snare drum looks bad ass by the way. I have a couple questions about it. Does it sound as good as it looks? And if so, do they have a 5.5 inch deep model?
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Very nice Eddie, soon your drums will complete their takeover, and fill the room

i would suggest some type of medium or heavy weight single ply head with a built in muffle ring

Hmm... could you give some examples? I took a look at the Remo and Evans websites, the closest things I found were Remo Controlled Sounds and Evans Power Centres (which are both single-ply with a central target-dot-thing). Also, I'm not so much looking to 'tame' my toms as I am looking to balance out their resonance. Personally I like having them fairly resonant, and prefer to muffle them through tuning than moongels etc. However, at the moment even with my rack tom tuned for maximum resonance (i.e. both heads very similar in pitch) and the floors with the top and bottom heads tuned apart, the floors are still much more resonant.

Oh, that snare drum looks bad ass by the way. I have a couple questions about it. Does it sound as good as it looks? And if so, do they have a 5.5 inch deep model?

First of all, thank you very much IMO, it sounds awesome, has a lot of clatter and that signature brass 'ring'. It's also incredibly loud when you want it to be, which is especially useful for me as I prefer to play larger cymbals.

I don't think Mapex make a 5.5 deep brass model. In the Black Panther range, I think the have the Brass Cat, which is 14x5 brass, and the Nomad (13x6 brass). Both also lack the hammering of the Sledgehammer. However I could be wrong, best check the Mapex site
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by Lordyboy

Hmm... could you give some examples? I took a look at the Remo and Evans websites, the closest things I found were Remo Controlled Sounds and Evans Power Centres (which are both single-ply with a central target-dot-thing). Also, I'm not so much looking to 'tame' my toms as I am looking to balance out their resonance. Personally I like having them fairly resonant, and prefer to muffle them through tuning than moongels etc. However, at the moment even with my rack tom tuned for maximum resonance (i.e. both heads very similar in pitch) and the floors with the top and bottom heads tuned apart, the floors are still much more resonant.

I'm not quite sure where that came from myself. The whole point in 2-ply heads is that they are there to muffle the sound slightly, as well as being more durable. I don't really see a single-ply head being more damped than a double.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
The whole point in 2-ply heads is that they are there to muffle the sound slightly, as well as being more durable. I don't really see a single-ply head being more damped than a double.

That's what I thought. However if he can point me in the direction of some, I'll do my research and report back here with my findings

Also, another question for you guys (well, not actually a question, but a statement I want a true-or-false answer for): Coated heads are naturally slightly more muffled than clears, yes? (Due to the extra layer of stuff on them?) And is it actually noticeable?
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
They certainly do. What they really reduce is the "Slap" you get from low-tuned tom heads. Overall they give you a fuller sound, with not quite as much attack. They're more for mellow sounds like jazz rather than rock or metal IMO.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Feb 21, 2013,
DavesCrusade
43 IQ
I'll load a pic up in a bit, but I just wanted to ask real quick:
I see a lot of people here with remo pinstripe heads and I absolutely hated these when I tried them. Could someone who uses them tell me what they like about them? Is it the price that's good? I use them every now and then for practices, but I haven't really enjoyed them. Just curious as to everyone's opinion.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by DavesCrusade
I'll load a pic up in a bit, but I just wanted to ask real quick:
I see a lot of people here with remo pinstripe heads and I absolutely hated these when I tried them. Could someone who uses them tell me what they like about them? Is it the price that's good? I use them every now and then for practices, but I haven't really enjoyed them. Just curious as to everyone's opinion.

I've never really liked them myself. But then again, I am more of a fan of the wide open sort of drum sound.
EH

Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
I haven't really tried them, and I'm only really looking to try them now in order to get a feel for what I like. I may end up hating them haha

Why didn't you really like them?
NUMAS
UG's beggar.
300 IQ
Can anyone advise me on a double pedal that is similar to the DW5000 or DW9000, but cheaper?

I'm getting desperate D:
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
Second Rate
814 IQ
Quote by Lordyboy
Very nice Eddie, soon your drums will complete their takeover, and fill the room

More along the lines of the Remo Powerstroke 3 (which is basically an ambassador with a muffle ring around the edge) or the Aquarian Studio X. The only reason I recommended it is because they focus the lows and tame over ring without killing off too much resonance. If you want two ply heads though, i would probably just try emperors all the way across the board. They don't have the crimped edge with the oil in the middle like pinstripes do, so they tend to vibrate a little freer, but are also much more focused than a single ply. I'm afraid that putting pinstripes on the floor toms and an emperor on the rack tom would have the effect of making your floor toms less resonant than the rack tom rather than balancing it out. I've never tried it though, so i could be wrong.
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Quote by Second Rate
More along the lines of the Remo Powerstroke 3 (which is basically an ambassador with a muffle ring around the edge) or the Aquarian Studio

I think the Powerstroke 3 is only a bass drum head (Remo's website only lists its sizes as 18-30"). I'll have to have a look at the Aquarians in more detail

Quote by NUMAS
Can anyone advise me on a double pedal that is similar to the DW5000 or DW9000, but cheaper?

As always, I'd suggest looking around eBay first for those particular pedals, since they'll likely be around 50% cheaper used online than they would be to buy new from a shop. If not, it depends on what you want the pedal to do. If you're just trying to learn double bass, then almost any double pedal will do
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
loving that theres an active drum community here. cant post my kit because im at school now, but i will first chance i get once im home. i just have a quick question for you guys. im going to school about 2000km from home, from ontario to nova scotia. next year im going to be living in a house and should be able to have drums there. just wondering how i should approach the situation. is there a feasible way to get my kit out here? obviously i can drive it, but it may take up too much room considering ill probably have to bring other stuff as well. so my other options are to have it shipped, which i could imagine to be quite expensive. or i can buy a smaller, used kit out here, but on a students budget that may be tough. and i love my kit at home, everything about it. i'd do almost anything to get it out here. my last option would be to get an electric kit, but id much rather an acoustic. any ideas, or has anyone had to deal with a similar situation?
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Hmm.... 2000km? I can't even visualise that distance (I live in the UK, so you never get journeys that long haha). How long would that take you to drive?
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
its quite a hike, about 20 hours. im thinking now to just buy the shells out here, try and take my cymbals with me and save as much money as possible that way.
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Hmm... probably not worth a 40-hour round trip. Sounds like a good idea, maybe just take your cymbals and snare (if you like the sound of it enough) and buy the rest out there.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
I used to just come home on the train every weekend when I was at uni but then again my uni was only about 150 km from my house so it's not quite the same thing.
EH

justmenow
117 IQ
Hey everyone! I just bought a kit with two basses. It came with two Ludwig pedals, im looking at possibly getting two new pedal. Right now im thinking either the DW3000 or Iron Cobra 600. If anyone can offer any insight on which they like more, or if anyone has another pedal for close to the same price range i would appreciate the feedback.

Im looking at keeping price as close to $100 per pedal as possible. Thanks!
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
I prefer DW pedals but from what I hear the TAMA are better low-cost pedals.
EH

Taerran
356 IQ
So, I just got a set of Wuhan Traditionals - 8, 10, 12 splash, 14 hats, 16 thin crash, 18 crash ride, and 20 ride. All made from the B20 Bronze that supposedly higher end zildjian and sabian make theirs out of. Hand hammered from China.

I have to say, I love their sound. especially for the value - I paid $340 for all of them. I took the risk, since I had old ZBTs I finally damaged too much, and I have to say, totally worth it. I especially love the hats - they sound better than the New Beats I used in our last studio session.

(Ignore the china - that's the next upgrade.)

Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
That looks awesome man, great price for $340 as well.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
To be honest, I wouldn't have even noticed the china if you'd not mentioned it. Looks fine to me Great looking cymbals, anyway.
EH

Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
Ha Drew you actually took my advice and got those cymbals!! They look good man, can't wait to hear them. I've been a little busy too. Recently bought a Black Panther 12x7 snare, 13" Sabian AAX Fusion Hi hats and just sold my Pearl Eliminator double pedals.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*
683 IQ
I almost bought a set of those Wuhans. I've since turned to Sabian as my go to for cymbals, I like to support them because they're Canadian. But those are a great price and from what I read in reviews you can't beat the sound for what you pay. Only thing is I read that the crack easy or are just relatively fragile. I'd love to know how they work for you, boss looking kit too.
HowlerMonkey
21 IQ
Not mine......I have a few less toms .........and don't have a 31 inch deep center bass drum......just two 24s.

That set must be amazing to see in person and it looks like someone actually mic'd every drum.

Those are ludwig chrome over wood drums.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
I remember one of my friends used to have a Ludwig Chrome-over-acrylic set. Those were pretty cool (don't worry; the acrylic wasn't transparent...)
EH

Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
Just dropping by. Got a new Mapex Black Panther 12x7 snare as well as a 22" Wuhan China

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
Oooh tasty. Is that the Fastback model? You also wouldn't have happened to have bought that from eBay, since I was watching a few and they all ended up going for much more than I could afford
Shor
581 IQ
So... just placed an order on the Sonor Gavin Harrison 14x5.25" snare!
Pretty stoked about it, it should arrive sometime next week.
Has anyone else tried them?
I got the deluxe/premium/whatever pack with the extra snare strands and case, since well...since I kinda wanted it, and it's handy for keeping my other snare in since I'll probably be playing the G.Harrison one most of the time!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
642 IQ
Quote by Lordyboy
Oooh tasty. Is that the Fastback model? You also wouldn't have happened to have bought that from eBay, since I was watching a few and they all ended up going for much more than I could afford

Funnily enough I didn't. But one of the ones you saw was probably that same one up there since I put it up and sold it just a day or two ago.
And nah, it's not the Fastback. It's the older model that came before it back in 2006. It's made of maple and cherry whereas the Fastback is just maple and I'd get it over the Fastback any day, it's immense.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

HowlerMonkey
21 IQ
I have to sell either this snare pictured or a 1978 ludwig supersensitive in 14x6.5

It's probably the only one I have ever seen that has no scratches or swirls from attempted polishing.

Since I can't make the decision myself, I will probably put them both up for sale and keep the one that doesn't sell.

I won't be doing any live drumming so I am going to fit one of my ludwig chrome over wood kits (the one with concert toms) with mesh heads, build my own triggers and sell the other one with two headed toms.

Guess I won't need cymbals either so they are going too.

HowlerMonkey
21 IQ
Selling this one on craigslist soon.

This is the "smaller half" of a much larger ludwig double bass chrome set and can exist in a 6 x 6 foot space without hitting my elbows on the walls.

24 inch bass, 18 inch floor tom, 12, 13, 15 mounted toms, and a 1978 ludwig super sensitive snare in 14x6.5

I feel you need at least enough toms to play the miami vice theme or "in the air tonight".