Page 4 of 7
Very nice to see Roc-n-Soc Thrones getting some love around here! Niiko...lol and great job on that snare, fooled me. It's got the BB look, but does it have the BB sound?
Quote by Niiko
That looks nice, what snare is that? And what's the make of your kit?

The kit is a tama starclassic performer. The snare drum is a "custom" spanish snare drum which looks great and sounds alright but everything else about it is pretty crap unfortunately. The snare drum strainer for some odd reason used plastic threading which just gets killed if you try to screw it down tight enough for decent tension on the snares. I sent the company nickel drumworks a message about it but they never replied to me. I ended up using some bolts and new "high friction" straps (double layered duck tape, not the adhiesive side).
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^Nickel Drumworks stuff is the pits. I built a snare with one of their throw-offs on it and it was broken in 2 weeks. I can't believe they think plastic is a good idea. Even worse I can't believe I supported it.
Quote by AmericanZero13
Very nice to see Roc-n-Soc Thrones getting some love around here! Niiko...lol and great job on that snare, fooled me. It's got the BB look, but does it have the BB sound?

Yeah, Ironically enough I figured out it's the Steve Ferrone Signature snare that Pearl made for him before he jumped ship to Gretsch and they made a similar one.
I think it has that BB sound, or atleast very very close to it. It's nice and fulled bodied at any tuning, the range is good, and requires little to no muffling. It can cut through and still have the depth in sound to carry it through
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Been playing the drums for 20 years and the guitar for 2. Here is a pic of my kit about a year ago. I have since sold both of the crashes and bought an 18" Vault and and 18" AAX to replace them.

Never been keen on Sabians for some reason, they sound good as we had an AA set and AAX set with extra crashes, but they sounded unnaturally natural if that makes sense to anyone. But then again, I only like the AAX line and the Chopper than Tony Royster Jr Uses, and I'm a Zildjian fan boy
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Leo4sf...Very nice set! Great set-up too, super comfy! How are those Suede heads? Never actually tried 'em m'self...they seemed like they'd deaden the sound too much...?

I'm with ya Niiko...Zilds all the way here too...never could get into Sabians
I actually got the suedes for free so I went ahead and gave them a try. I actually liked them quite a bit on the smaller toms, but I prefer my 16" to open up a bit so they really didn't work for me there.

I have switched back to the coated emp's all the way around. Although I liked the suedes, they made a mess of my snare. I am way too OCD to have a black circle in the middle of a brand new snare head.

As for the Sabian thing, cymbals are probably more a matter of personal taste than any other instrument because they cannot be tuned to change their characteristics. I like the weight of Sabians and how they take a second to open up. Zildjian K's do a great job of that as well, but they are a bit dark for my taste. So the Sabian AA and AAX lines are kind of the best of both worlds for me.

And the Vault crash just makes me want to orgasm everytime I hit it. I think my wife is jealous.
Quote by leo4sf
Been playing the drums for 20 years and the guitar for 2. Here is a pic of my kit about a year ago. I have since sold both of the crashes and bought an 18" Vault and and 18" AAX to replace them.

Very nice! What kit is it?
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by inkandlead
^Nickel Drumworks stuff is the pits. I built a snare with one of their throw-offs on it and it was broken in 2 weeks. I can't believe they think plastic is a good idea. Even worse I can't believe I supported it.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way about them
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ha. Yeah. And from a business stand point it sucked that I had to take some heat from the customer because I had used a part that broke so quickly. Oh well. You live and you learn.
Quote by Skinny91
Very nice! What kit is it?

Tama Superstar. The snare is a hammered brass Gretsch.
Quote by leo4sf
Tama Superstar. The snare is a hammered brass Gretsch.
Same as, except I have the stock 6"x13" snare. I like it, though it's not exactly what I would have chose if I had the chance to choose.

Quote by leo4sf
I actually got the suedes for free so I went ahead and gave them a try. I actually liked them quite a bit on the smaller toms, but I prefer my 16" to open up a bit so they really didn't work for me there.

I have switched back to the coated emp's all the way around. Although I liked the suedes, they made a mess of my snare. I am way too OCD to have a black circle in the middle of a brand new snare head.

As for the Sabian thing, cymbals are probably more a matter of personal taste than any other instrument because they cannot be tuned to change their characteristics. I like the weight of Sabians and how they take a second to open up. Zildjian K's do a great job of that as well, but they are a bit dark for my taste. So the Sabian AA and AAX lines are kind of the best of both worlds for me.

And the Vault crash just makes me want to orgasm everytime I hit it. I think my wife is jealous.
Good post. I don't see how anyone can be dedicated to one company unless they have a deal with them. I like to mix and match. I have no problem with folks going with a set of the same type, but I can gel with that personally.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Same as, except I have the stock 6"x13" snare. I like it, though it's not exactly what I would have chose if I had the chance to choose.

Good post. I don't see how anyone can be dedicated to one company unless they have a deal with them. I like to mix and match. I have no problem with folks going with a set of the same type, but I can gel with that personally.

It's a matter of what you're used to really. From when I started playing, up until now, I've always preferred Zildjian because they just work for me best. I've played Sabians and had a Paiste 2002 set and even recently, Istanbul, but I've always gone back to Zildjian and mix/matched different lines to suit my needs. Some guys mix and match, others just stick to what works for them and never change or try new things, personal preference =)
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Roland TD-3. His name is "Volts."

WOOT!!!

(C4C) Here's the thread for my loopy loop, "We Began." It's kooky... CLICK
I'm new to drums(5 hours new) and I have a Sound Percussion 5 pc drum set and a Meinl symbol pack
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I'm new to drums(5 hours new) and I have a Sound Percussion 5 pc drum set and a Meinl symbol pack

Welcome to the family!

Anyone here tried out the Sabian Omnis?
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
No, I haven't tried those but I did try a Turkish brand called Dream the other day. I was very impressed indeed. The prices were pretty varied and not always reflective of the sound quality. In other words, the more expensive ones weren't always the better, which I really appreciated.

They had that typical wash of a hand-hammered cymbal, but they also had some heavier ones that had a beautiful stick attack to them and bounce. They were pretty, too, and felt extremely sturdy to hold and feel.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
No, I haven't tried those but I did try a Turkish brand called Dream the other day. I was very impressed indeed. The prices were pretty varied and not always reflective of the sound quality. In other words, the more expensive ones weren't always the better, which I really appreciated.

They had that typical wash of a hand-hammered cymbal, but they also had some heavier ones that had a beautiful stick attack to them and bounce. They were pretty, too, and felt extremely sturdy to hold and feel.

YES! Glad to hear they're getting more known. These cymbals are amazing, especially for the price.
Quote by TheReverend724
Not exactly drum gear, but I'm gonna get this badboy in a week or two

Aw yeah

You'll be makin beats n shit!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
We don't get Dream here where I live :/ TRX anyone?
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
I've heard of TRX but never seen anyone that stocks them. One of my favourite drummers of Youtube - cobus - uses TRX. He's South African and a really fun drummer.
Quote by Steve08
TRX is nice, they are bloody expensive though... seen cymbals on their site for as much as $700 which is probably the highest I've ever seen!

I've never seen a TRX cymbal for that much before. To be honest i always thought they were very good value for money or at least they used to be.
EH

Not all of them are that much, certainly, but they definitely get up there:

http://trxcymbals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/TRX_2011-Retail-Pricing.pdf

The only one that's $700 evidently is the 22" Icon Heavy ride, but even so, that's pretty nuts to me, no matter how good they sound haha! The 22" chinas and 16" hi-hats are close to that as well, though 16" hats are definitely pretty uncommon.
Quote by Steve08
Not all of them are that much, certainly, but they definitely get up there:

http://trxcymbals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/TRX_2011-Retail-Pricing.pdf

The only one that's $700 evidently is the 22" Icon Heavy ride, but even so, that's pretty nuts to me, no matter how good they sound haha! The 22" chinas and 16" hi-hats are close to that as well, though 16" hats are definitely pretty uncommon.

ahh but that's retail pricing though. Nothing is ever that expensive in shops . In my local drum shop i've seen an 18" ALT crash for £170. They used to be like £140 or 150 but i think the economy has pushed prices up a bit.
EH

TRX is really that expensive for the common Joe. However, if you endorse them, them bump all their prices down to regular costs. And nearly anyone who attempts to endorse them gets it.

I am in the midst of ordering a new set, and reconfiguring my cymbal set-up. At the moment all I have set up is:

By uptheirons5150 at 2011-07-08

Tama Granstar IIs in black wrap. 14"RT and 22"BD.
Tama Starclassic Copper 5.5"x14" snare.
Zildjian 13" A Custom hats.
Zildjian 21"A Custom Rezo Ride.
Iron Cobra Powerglide double bass pedal.
Iron Cobra Velo glide hi hat pedal.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Quote by thepoopkid3
I am in the midst of ordering a new set, and reconfiguring my cymbal set-up. At the moment all I have set up is:

By uptheirons5150 at 2011-07-08

Tama Granstar IIs in black wrap. 14"RT and 22"BD.
Tama Starclassic Copper 5.5"x14" snare.
Zildjian 13" A Custom hats.
Zildjian 21"A Custom Rezo Ride.
Iron Cobra Powerglide double bass pedal.
Iron Cobra Velo glide hi hat pedal.

Wow you only have a 3 piece set? Dont see that very often these days
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Wow you only have a 3 piece set? Dont see that very often these days

Well, I have 3 extra toms, I just don't feel like setting up my rack for it all. If you've never set up a rack before, it's a pain.

Right now I'm just trying to work on the basics: hi hats and ride. I'm attempting to build up my chops. And the ride is crashable enough to use it for accents, or I'll smash on the open hats.

It's a lot of fun.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Whats with the Vic Firth sticker on the bass batter. Gotta kill the resonance of the head.

Also, why do have your hi-hat pedal between your kick pedals? I dont think I have ever seen that before. Seems like your feet would be spread out too far.

To each his own I guess.
^Probably to get the hihat closer in? I do that with mine because if I put it on the outside of the double bass it's too far away.
Hey, Poopkid

What 'cha think of the Rezo ride? I've heard such negative reviews on the Rezo series' from MD and other "editorial reviews" but one guy I know who plays them, really likes it...?
Last edited by AmericanZero13 at Jul 21, 2011,
I'm new here, I thought that I'd post a pic of one of my kits. This is a 1981 Gretsch in walnut lacquer.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."
Last edited by drummer5359 at Aug 19, 2011,
Ah it's been a while and I have some eyecandy for you guys: Check out my new vintage AJAX kit I bought off my boss at the studio. This is what I use with my jazz/blues band. Not quite sure on the tom sizes, but the floor tom is deeper than the kick drum hehe. Also in this setup:

Zildjian A custom 14" Crash
Zildjian K Dark Crash 17"
Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride 20"
Zildjian K custom flat top ride 18"
DW5000 Single Pedal and my Mapex MPX snare (You've heard it before)

Oh and a pic from the Uberkaboom sessions I've been engineering/drum tech for:

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Last edited by Niiko at Aug 29, 2011,
Its a very cool wall

I really love simple drum kits way more than massive ones, I have no idea why. But both of em are lovely
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp