Page 5 of 7
If anyone can guess the size of this straight off I'll be impressed. The guy from the studio next door said I could try it out, it's beasty but light for a china.

(Invalid img)
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Hey fellas. I put a few pics of my kit in here when i had my new pedal day a few weeks ago, but i didnt fit the full kit in so here's some more pics.

Drums are DW maple, not sure of the series, and theres a date stamp on the inside of one of the toms that says 1998. The paint is sort of coming off of all of the rims, some of the toms have cracks and scuffs and such in the wraps, but nothing too serious and none of the shells are warping. This kit came through my local store last october. $1000 for all 6 pieces plus cases for each drum plus a large hardware case!! I was in dire need of a new kit and since I wasnt able to kit the brand new kit I was going for around the same time, I had to snag this.

lets see if I can remember the cymbals off the top of my head. 14" AAX metal hats, 16" AA Metal-x crash, 16" AAX stage crash, 17" AAXplosion crash, 18" AA fast china, 20" Zild avedis ping ride. I have a few other cymbals that I trade out sometimes but thats my main setup.

edit: might be having a new kit day soon. theres this crazy 9 or 10 pc multicolored acrylic Ludwig kit at my store for a cheap price because the owner just wants to get rid of it.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Aug 31, 2011,
You got a DW kit and cases for $1000 dollars? Damn, Sometimes I really wished I lived in the US
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Same here. We get DW SNARES used for that price.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Happy New Year guys,

I got my first acoustic kit a few days ago, before then I've had to resort to friend's and studio's kits, so this has been a long time coming, as my band really need to get gigging.

Its a Mapex Meridian 6 Piece with 10"x7" and 12"x8" rack toms, 14"x12"and 16"x14" floor toms, 22"x20" bass drum and a 14"x6" snare, all birch.

I also got a set of Instanbul Xist cymbals, 14" hats, 17" and 18" crash, 22" ride.

Now some pics:

Total cost: £1,100
Here's a pic of my kit. Yeah, its set up in my garage, lol.

//edit// I added a 10" Zil-Bel next to the splash. I guess I forgot to update my pictures.

Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Lordyboy, that is a beautiful looking set! Loving the short depth toms too.

Taerran, loving the colour of yours, is that a PDP X7? Just curious because the lugs look like they're from PDP.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I was looking to buy myself a drumset for my birthday but I have no idea where to start. The ones at my local dealer are around 400$ new and there are used ones about the same. I want a smallish one that could possibly fit in my room if need be. I do want a good sounding one but it doesn't have to be professional or anything. Any ideas or tips as to where I should start?
Quote by supersing40
I was looking to buy myself a drumset for my birthday but I have no idea where to start. The ones at my local dealer are around 400$ new and there are used ones about the same. I want a smallish one that could possibly fit in my room if need be. I do want a good sounding one but it doesn't have to be professional or anything. Any ideas or tips as to where I should start?

if you are willing to buy used, craigslist all the way. they are going so cheap. pearl export, tama imperial, something along there would be all you need other than cymbals, hardware, etc. you shouldn't have a problem getting that for $400.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you are willing to buy used, craigslist all the way. they are going so cheap. pearl export, tama imperial, something along there would be all you need other than cymbals, hardware, etc. you shouldn't have a problem getting that for $400.

ok thank you! I will see what they have
@Niiko - Yeah, it's an X7. I refused to get anything with a popple (spelling?) shell, and I really liked the tones I got out of my old pdp kit, which also had maple.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Quote by Taerran
@Niiko - Yeah, it's an X7. I refused to get anything with a popple (spelling?) shell, and I really liked the tones I got out of my old pdp kit, which also had maple.

Poplar*
I remember playing an X7 kit at a gig I did over a year ago, sounded amazing and I fell in love with it. But I didn't have the money to buy one at the time
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Right, here's a pic of another rare Stagg Jia Series shell pack I picked up (I now have 2 of these bad babies) Haven't changed the heads yet but I'll take a pick with full setup soon.

And sweet little bargain, Zildjian K Custom 20" Dry ride for just under £100!!!
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Update on my gear! Added mics, a mixer, and new heads. Final setup looks like this!

Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Which heads are they? I'm asking cos I've slapped some Evans G2s on my toms now, so I'm looking at replacing my snare head (batter side mainly) and bass skins (both).

Still on the subject of skins, All the new heads except the 16' have a kind of 'rainbow' pattern in them. I know this is caused by the plys of the heads seperating, and doesn't seem to affect the sound, but it just annoys me that they don't look great. Does anyone have any tips on reducing this?

Also nice catch Niiko, I should really shop around on ebay more, since I might look at a K custom crash for more quiet songs, since mine lack fizz at low dynamics.
Last edited by Lordyboy at Jan 24, 2012,
Awesome. I really want one of those mics for my snare.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
@Eddie - Yeah, the i5 is a great sounding mic.

@Lordy - The snare is a Genera Dry Batter, and the reso is a Hazy 300. The toms all have Genera G1s for the batter, and GC2s on the reso side. I've found their tones resonate the best with the Maple in my shells.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
The DM10 Studio Kit’s sound module not only has an awesome collection of sounds onboard, it is also the world’s first drum-sound module that enables the drummer to load new sound sets via USB connection from your computer. This means that your sounds will always stay fresh, current, and cutting edge.
lordy boy-

my favorite snare head if you hit really hard the Emperor X, if you want a little more sensitivity i love my aquarian texture coating with power dot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^Is that hi-hat a PST3?

If so, welcome to the club *Fist bump*

I also notice you only have 2 toms set up. I would have mine that way, but my dad gets mad at me and throws that "I bought it use all of it!" crap in my face.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
They are indeed PST3. I do have an extra rack tom but I could never really get two rack toms set up comfortably so I just ditched it.

Also, something I just noticed, pretty good aim on the snare haha
Last edited by Knifehorse at Jan 29, 2012,
Ladies and gentlemen, I return with my brand new Sonor Select Force Stage 3 kit with a smooth brown burst finish.

Sizes are
10x8 rack
12x9 rack
14x14 floor
14x5.5 snare
22x17.5 kick

All maple shells.

Cymbals
Sabian XS20 14" medium hats
Sabian XS20 16" medium thin crash
Sabian XS20 18" medium thin crash
Sabian XS20 20" medium ride
Wuhan 8" splash
Wuhan 10" splash
Sabian Paragon 19" china

All Sonor 400 series hardware
Trick Dominator double pedal
Attachments:
IMG_0178.JPG
That looks beautiful ^

Here's my new kit actually setup now haha with my new ride.

And here's what the finish looks like up close:

I don't have to put as much force into it to get that 'phat' low tuned sound which is a good bonus. Now to get new crash cymbals
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Last edited by Niiko at Feb 1, 2012,
Nice kit Niiko, beautiful looking, and I bet it doesn't play half bad. Liking the flat setup as well, I should really try that with mine. Have you got both overheads attached to your cymbal stand, or on a separate one?
Words cannot express how much I envy your flat tom setup

I struggle with that every day and I can never get them just right... I need to figure out a different way of mounting them. Do you use a tom stand or a separate clamp on the crash stand with a boom arm going off the clamp?
It's actually a straight cymbal stand with the tom mount, originally intended to be mounted on the kick drum, attached via clamp.
The way I sit on the drums is a bit weird apparently. I sit facing to the left of the kick, which explains why I have such a low setup
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
It's actually a straight cymbal stand with the tom mount, originally intended to be mounted on the kick drum, attached via clamp.
The way I sit on the drums is a bit weird apparently. I sit facing to the left of the kick, which explains why I have such a low setup

I don't think that's really weird at all.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Niiko

Don't most people face to the left of their bass drum due to having a right leg on the pedal?

But in all seriousness, do you just mean more to the left, allowing you to have everything lower since it's not gonna be obstructed by the bass drum?
Quote by Lordyboy
Don't most people face to the left of their bass drum due to having a right leg on the pedal?

But in all seriousness, do you just mean more to the left, allowing you to have everything lower since it's not gonna be obstructed by the bass drum?

Not THAT far to the left, probably low enough that my 12" mid tom is just above the furthest part of the curve on my kick drum.

And I notice a lot of drummers I've seen/know, face square on with their kick drums, with the snare and rack tom in a perfect line face the same direction as the kick.

Here's a pic of the "replaced" set so you can really see how my seating is:

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

That setup looks like it would be most similar to a double bass drum kit.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Perhaps changing the subject slightly/a lot, I'm now looking to add a fast decaying crash (or maybe china) to my kit, as my current ride and crashes just seem to saturate (?) the sound a but too much when jamming with my band, so something with a shorter decay that accents more aggressively seems to be a next move.

Does anyone have any recommendations, even just brands or lines and not exact cymbals. I'll also need stands for these, so would it be possible to buy a clamp or something and attach it to an existing stand, or would the new cymbal be too heavy?

PS Is it just me that thinks this should be stickied?
Generally if it's a thin/medium thin/fast crash, then it's what you'll be looking for. Zildjian and Sabian make some pretty good fast crashes.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Here's some pics of my 'home' kit. I'll maybe post pics of my other one sometime if I ever remember to take some

It is of course a Mapex Horizon HZB

Big pics I know, but it's only right
Quote by Lordyboy
Perhaps changing the subject slightly/a lot, I'm now looking to add a fast decaying crash (or maybe china) to my kit, as my current ride and crashes just seem to saturate (?) the sound a but too much when jamming with my band, so something with a shorter decay that accents more aggressively seems to be a next move.

Does anyone have any recommendations, even just brands or lines and not exact cymbals. I'll also need stands for these, so would it be possible to buy a clamp or something and attach it to an existing stand, or would the new cymbal be too heavy?

PS Is it just me that thinks this should be stickied?
It depends on what kind of cymbal it is, but yes. As a rule of thumb I'd recommend putting the heaviest cymbal on the stand itself. Something like a 16" crash or china should be fine, though.

What you would do for such a stand would be to buy a multi-clamp and then either put the boom rod into it or also buy a whole separate arm and then put the cymbal on the arm and put the boom arm's downtube into the clamp.
Thanks Steve, that's kinda what I was expecting but it's always worth checking

Whoomit really liking the artistic muffling on your kit
Quote by Lordyboy
Whoomit really liking the artistic muffling on your kit

My other snare is quite 'arty' too I'll take pics of my other kit when I'm at band practice tonight if I remember. Next time I change skins I might go without duct-tape, it's been a long time since I've done that
Honestly, what's with all the tape?

And guys, I've been offered a 17" Zildjian K custom hybrid crash for £60. Only problem is it has a slight crack under the lettering, I mainly plan to use it as an aux/smaller ride so not much crashing, worth it?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Last edited by Niiko at Mar 19, 2012,