Page 1 of 2
Now now now, just to be clear from the get go, I don't know shit about drums. So if you guys would like to put in some information for me to edit into this OP, please do so. With that out of the way

The Electronic Drums Thread!

This be all about electronic drums. What sets and pads are good, what samples to use, and everything in between. This is also intended to be a place where people can ask questions about electric drums, such as buying them, setting them up, and getting decent sounds out of them. Hopefully as some experienced drummers begin posting, I'll edit some credible information in as a sort of FAQ. Make sure this thread grows guys!

- Pat_s1t

I guess I'll start off the thread by asking this. I have Superior 2.0 + The Metal Foundry expansion, and I want to seriously learn drums to I can track my own playing on recordings. My budget for a decent set of electronic drums (snare, bass, two mid/high toms and a floor tom, crash, ride and hi hat) would be about $600 - $1000. If this is a decent enough budget, then can you guys recommend a good set. If not, what should I expect to pay for something decent (with an example)?
Woot! we were planning on getting an electrec drum set, so this thread will be a great help in the future.
Get in the whale sling!
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I love the newfies.

Quote by SteveHouse
Newfies, everywhere

Newfoundlanders of UG!
UG Drum Forum!

"If you sig it, they will come...."
Last edited by Mokane3562 at Apr 4, 2011,
Do drum trigger pads count?

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronic sets, but a decent set will probably run you from $1000-2000

I'd just check out MusiciansFriend, craigslist, and ask around Guitar Center
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t
Does anyone remember that set of drums where it would generate electronic/ambient music to your beats? I want to see that video ago, one of the coolest things ever.

That'd be the V-Drums probably.
I was fooling around in a store on one of the V-Drum kits and it had something like you described.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
That'd be the V-Drums probably.
I was fooling around in a store on one of the V-Drum kits and it had something like you described.
Hmmm, maybe it is. I thought it was Yamaha for some weird reason. I'll check it out anyway!
I'm looking to buy a Roland TD-12K by the end of the year for when I go to uni, it's going to be second hand but I've played them, they feel decent enough and sound pretty good, and this is coming from a guy who has a deep dislike for e-Kits

Also, anyone heard of the Gen16 cymbal pack from Zildjian?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Pat_s1t

I guess I'll start off the thread by asking this. I have Superior 2.0 + The Metal Foundry expansion, and I want to seriously learn drums to I can track my own playing on recordings. My budget for a decent set of electronic drums (snare, bass, two mid/high toms and a floor tom, crash, ride and hi hat) would be about $600 - $1000. If this is a decent enough budget, then can you guys recommend a good set. If not, what should I expect to pay for something decent (with an example)?

That's a perfectly reasonable budget. You can get decent setups for like $600-$800. Yamaha and Alesis are great lower-end brands. Roland is the expensive shit, but they tend to come with all kinds of cool features like chokeable cymbal pads and 3-zone snares. These can of course be bought separately. Simmons sucks, don't get that brand.

I've done my research.
I use a Roland VH1 I think, it's the V-drums lite... it's great the on-board sounds are bleh and the only outputs are 1/8, but it has a midi out, which is the one thing that makes it very useful =D
I use it on Logic to record drums scores, then use Addictive drums, I get crazy good results =D
Greetings, gents! My brother is looking for a set of electric drums, what's your guys recommendation for a decent set under a grand? He found one for $500 but I'm suspicious and don't want him to get a piece of shit that he'll stop playing after a week and then I'll never have a drummer to jam with
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
thought you might enjoy a quick demo :-)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7832037/drum%20test.mp3

this is not to show off my (lack of) drumming talent, it's just a quick sound demo, I didn't even mix or master or do anything, all it is is my midi drum straight into Addictive Drums, and it's the basic startup preset, you have a lot of choices as for the drums and cymbals (my favorite cymabl being a 20' sabian )
Last edited by Darkflame at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by MH400
My opinion? Go Roland.

Any brands he should be avoiding at all costs? Ie, the Acer/eMachines of the drum world?
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
Greetings, gents! My brother is looking for a set of electric drums, what's your guys recommendation for a decent set under a grand? He found one for $500 but I'm suspicious and don't want him to get a piece of shit that he'll stop playing after a week and then I'll never have a drummer to jam with

You can buy a good acoustic kit and soundproof your room for about $1000.
I reccomend this way.
Quote by timbit2006
You can buy a good acoustic kit and soundproof your room for about $1000.
I reccomend this way.

Making a room completely sound proof = very hard.

What if he can't mess with the walls etc?

Why couldn't he just buy some practice pads that take away 90% of the noise?
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Making a room completely sound proof = very hard.

What if he can't mess with the walls etc?

Why couldn't he just buy some practice pads that take away 90% of the noise?

There actually is no way to make a room soundproof for cheaper than $10000(Unless you are doing a closet with three seperate walls all with sound insulation in between two layers and six layers of sound absorbing drywall.
I wrote a guide on soundproofing, as I have experience doing it. It's in GB&C. You can find a link in the Essential links thread if you are interested.

Electric drum kits look extremely ugly on stage.
I've got an alesis dm6, they're pretty good, and not very expensive.
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Anyone else ever tryed one of these Rolands?

It's a TD-20 I think. I played one a few months ago at the Drum Cavern in Brighton, they are just amazing. But you'd expect them to, the retail at about £5,000
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
In my opinion, the new yamaha DTX kits beat the crap out of similarly priced Roland kits. The Roland HD-1 just plain sucks, I broke the clamps on 2 of the tom pads when playing about 20 mins in a store. I wasn't even playing hard. The TD-4 kits are okay, except for the fact that their rubber pads feel like shit. Their mesh pads are better than Yamaha's rubber pads, but as a TD-4KX retails at about 1700 euros here, and you can get the Yamaha DTXpress, which sounds better to me, for about 900. The TD-20 is quite untouchable if you ask me, with the possible exception of the 2box drumit five in the future. Why in the future? Their current hardware breaks, and drummers don't like that.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
Quote by MH400

Nice. I just saw in the stick thread that we use (nearly) the same sticks, and then I come in here and see we play (nearly) the same kit. Mine's a TD-4K.

Nothing can beat the sound, feel and response of an acoustic kit, but the Roland V-Drums really are the next best thing.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Im also looking for an eKit after being acoustic for over 13 years just because of uni. Cant fit my drumkit in the room i have, plus acoustic will definitely not be allowed by my roomies hahaha.

Ive had some experience with the Rolands (TD-20, TD-12, TD-10) and they feel absolutely awesome with the mesh heads. I also want the change cause ive started to record, and want to record the midi from the drums, then use the addictive drums plugin do get those awesome sounds.

I havn't had any experience with the high end Yamahas and wondering if people are able to compare it to like the TD-20 if they have had a try, or even the TD-12 if it had the 2 rack and 2 floor toms.
Electronic kits are so good nowadays. You can choke cymbals, rimshot the snare...etc; for ~1200$ you have something infinitely better than an acoustic kit.

IMO electronic will slowly replace acoustic because it costs way less to purchase and you get quality sound at gigs... while still maintaining your own style/technique/articulation and stroke power.
Maybe eventually, but I don't think that will be until the technology has advanced a lot more. Not to mention most electric kits look completely ridiculous on stage, imo.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by Skinny91
Maybe eventually, but I don't think that will be until the technology has advanced a lot more. Not to mention most electric kits look completely ridiculous on stage, imo.

If the fans leave your gig because of how the drumkit looks versus how much cleaner it would sound, they probably aren't fans of your music to begin with and you're cutting away the fat.
Of course if you're in it for the money and/or are selling out, then the bigger the drum kit, the better.
Anyone has experience with this kit?
Can I use my own drum samples for a electric kit?
I'd really like to start playing drums, but a acoustic would be to loud for my bedroom .
an I use a regular dubbel base for a electric kit?
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Electronic kits are so good nowadays. You can choke cymbals, rimshot the snare...etc; for ~1200$ you have something infinitely better than an acoustic kit.

IMO electronic will slowly replace acoustic because it costs way less to purchase and you get quality sound at gigs... while still maintaining your own style/technique/articulation and stroke power.

Go home...please. Sure it costs less, but you DO NOT get quality sound...you get fake, MIDI imitation sounds...nothing beats a real drum's sound. e-drums may match the feel of a real kit on some of the more expensive models, but they never will replace the sound of a real set.
Quote by AtomicBirdy
If the fans leave your gig because of how the drumkit looks versus how much cleaner it would sound, they probably aren't fans of your music to begin with and you're cutting away the fat.
Of course if you're in it for the money and/or are selling out, then the bigger the drum kit, the better.

Either way, as American Zero said, right now you do only get the imitation of a real drum, no matter how convincing it may be. There is a reason bands like Pendulum are using acoustic kits over electric.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
The Electronic drum is great instrument for playing. Electronic drum is also for the bass and woofer effect. There are also many types of drums are available in the music world.
Hey, fuckos, this isn't the Everyone Shit On Electronic Drums Thread. Its here for a large group people who are interested in discussing the merits of electronic drums, not for one or two people who are interested in replying to every single comment with one about how acoustic drums are better and doing nothing more than taking up space that could be used for intelligent, useful talk. Let's keep it that way.

OT, I'm getting an electronic drumset, because I like them. All the newer ones in my price range (under $1000), specifically the Alesis DM8 and DM10, have RealHead pads for the tom and snare. According to my research, RealHead pads suck ass. While they do provide decent response, they're made out of mylar and make a hell of a lot of noise just by themselves. Anyone have more info on this subject, or experience with these kits? I've always like the rubber pads better than mesh anyway, for some reason.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 28, 2011,
I'm thinking about picking up an electric drumset soon. I can play fairly well, I've been playing around my my friend who's a drummer's for the last few years.

What's a good kit in the lower price range? I'm looking at the Simmons SD5K, Alesis DM5, or a Yamaha DTX.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Hey, fuckos, this isn't the Everyone Shit On Electronic Drums Thread. Its here for a large group people who are interested in discussing the merits of electronic drums, not for one or two people who are interested in replying to every single comment with one about how acoustic drums are better and doing nothing more than taking up space that could be used for intelligent, useful talk. Let's keep it that way.

OT, I'm getting an electronic drumset, because I like them. All the newer ones in my price range (under $1000), specifically the Alesis DM8 and DM10, have RealHead pads for the tom and snare. According to my research, RealHead pads suck ass. While they do provide decent response, they're made out of mylar and make a hell of a lot of noise just by themselves. Anyone have more info on this subject, or experience with these kits? I've always like the rubber pads better than mesh anyway, for some reason.

I'm not taking a shit on electric drums, and neither is any one else...basically our stance throughout this thread is that electric drums can in no way compare to real drums. I WAS shitting on one guys ideas that e-drums will soon replace real sets. I'm all for e-drums for quiet practice (which I do use); however, I do have to disagree with the people who are wanting to take up drumming, and plan on getting an electronic drum because of all the different sounds you can get.

As for the types of pads on e-drums, I started on rubber (I've a Yamaha DTXplorer) and found out about those mesh heads on the Roland sets, and gave them a try. Despite being MUCH quieter, they just felt incredibly off, like hitting a screen door...too much give, not a ton of rebound...eventually went back to rubber, which I much prefer, even though it is quite loud. As for the RealHead pads, I can't really say...never used 'em.

To answer the question above me...I gotta say the Yamaha DTXplorer...that's what I've got. In that price range, you can't beat it...much sturdier than the others, quality pads, and the module is SOOO much better than the others. There's only 32 pre-programmed sets, but you customize to no end. For the price range you're looking at (I take it, judging from the others you listed) I'd definitely suggest the Yamaha.
Page 1 of 2