Ok, lately ive seen alot of people who play covers of songs in drop tunings on youtube, using what look to be Hair Ties at the nut of their guitar. Could someone tell me if these are actually hair ties, and if they serve a purpose, such as decreasing buzzing around the nut due to the slack in lower tuned strings. Thanks!
Geez. Search bar.

Yes, they are hair ties. Basically they decrease (or mute altogether) string noise, so that they can tap without having extra noise. It's also helpful for anything fast/leadwork in general. Usually it's only used in the studio though, as you won't be able to play any open notes while it's on.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yes, they are hair ties, or scruchies (however the frack you write it) They work wonders for deadening the noise from a guitar, as they as almost as if there is a constant soft muting. And if you want to try it yourself, I recommend grabbing thicker ones. The really thin ones do jack for the sound
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
It's for dampening unwanted buzzing, especially on open strings.

It can be a hair tie, or anything really like that. I use a bandana.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
I use proper muting technique...
But seriously, yeah, if I ever go and decide to play only tap, I use a hankie.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I've also heard of some metallers placing them around machine heads in order to prevent their long hair getting tangled whilst head banging on stage.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Black Hazard
Why do people put them above the nut though?

So that the strings don't vibrate above the nut and get picked up.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Haha I love that these guys use that in a live scenario. Never seen anyone actually use it for anything but studio work.

God I want to be Luke or Tim.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Screw hair ties!

Learn the right technique, don't cheat!

Even with the best technique in the world, you're still going to get string noise sometimes, because of resonant frequencies. Depending on what you're tapping, it may not be possible to physically mute all the other strings. It's really just to get a perfect studio recording.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X