So I'm gonna be flying with two guitars (electric & acoustic), a backpack, and a large travel bag.

I don't have hard cases for my guitars, so I'm gonna have to bring them on the plane (along with the backpack)

So what's the best way to go about this? will they allow me to bring them on the plane?

I really don't want any damage done to my guitars, so tell me should I bring them on the plane? or is it best to hand them to the baggage handlers (in a gig bag)?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: inb4 new amp
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 5, 2011,
You're screwed.
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
Your guitars will come out looking like a mother's hemmerhoid-encrusted anus.
The playground of the world
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

So I'm gonna be flying with two guitars (electric & acoustic), a backpack, and a large travel bag.

I don't have hard cases for my guitars, so I'm gonna have to bring them on the plane (along with the backpack)

So what's the best way to go about this? will they allow me to bring them on the plane?

I really don't want any damage done to my guitars, so tell me should I bring them on the plane? or is it best to hand them to the baggage handlers (in a gig bag)?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: inb4 new amp

Dude go to a pawn shop and get a flight case or a hard case. Thats the best way to do it. they wont allow something as big as a guitar inside the plane you'll have to check it.

Also check with the airlines policies because I think you're limited to check in 2 pieces on most international flights some allow 3. On domestic flights most airlines its 1. Some its none and you have to pay 60 - 80.00 a piece.

You may have to check the guitars and the large bag, which means you'll have to bring money to pay for extra or chose to lkeave one behind. If your doing a show then you'll need both I guess.
Last edited by reggaebassman at Apr 5, 2011,
I know on some flights they've offered to put my guitar in a special closet they have. I generally fly southwest airlines (edit: just saw you are from dubai. Dunno about the airlines there). In on case they had spare seats on the plane so i was allowed to put my guitar next to me. If its a full flight and the closet is full you might be screwed. I'd really recommend a hard case because they will probably ask you to check it.
Last edited by Faux at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by CreepingDeath13
i dont think your guitars will generate the lift required to hold yourself, a backpack, and a large travel bag.
And what are you going to use to propel yourself??

Quote by CreepingDeath13
i dont think your guitars will generate the lift required to hold yourself, a backpack, and a large travel bag.

silly kermit.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by CreepingDeath13

well done my good sir
i tip my metaphorical hat to you
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
yeah dont give them a gig back they will ass rape your shit and not want to buy you a new one
Quote by reggaebassman
Dude go to a pawn shop and get a flight case or a hard case. Thats the best way to do it. they wont allow something as big as a guitar inside the plane you'll have to check it.

Yeh I guess I can buy a hard case, but there are no pawn shops or anything like that in Dubai :/

But I'm looking for hard cases that are cheap (and I mean REALLY cheap) online right now...looking hard lol

Quote by CreepingDeath13

A catapult, I don't need the guitars to generate lift, my amp will do that, the guitars will help with gliding and my acoustic for speed control. But I just don't know how I'm going to land

This is why I think I need a hard case, because I'm sure I will require to do a crash landing, that's why I need a LARGE travel case, so my guitars, backpack, large travel bag and Me will fit inside.

In all seriousness though : I really am screwed
dont get a cheap case man Its better you spend the money on one good case and only carry one guitar than get two shitty ones.

Trust me man you dont want to lose your expensive guitar to a cheap guitar
You can gate check at least one. Just tell them at the ticket counter that you're gate checking and you can take your guitar (maybe both, I don't know. You might have to get a hardcase for one) to the gate and they'll load it on the plane there and you can grab it when you land. It's definitely safer then checking it, and I've had pretty good luck traveling that way.
Quote by CavemanJB
You can gate check at least one. Just tell them at the ticket counter that you're gate checking and you can take your guitar (maybe both, I don't know. You might have to get a hardcase for one) to the gate and they'll load it on the plane there and you can grab it when you land. It's definitely safer then checking it, and I've had pretty good luck traveling that way.

Thanks, I'm gonna get a hard case for my acoustic, and gate check it.

And I will just have to try and board the plane earlier, so there is space in the overhead compartment for my electric.

I could've thought of this

Anyways thanks
Don't take the acoustic, use your processor to make the electric sound like one when playing. Makes it a lot easier. If you can, get a hard case for the electric and put it in baggage, they may not let you take it..... don't know how the dubai aeroplane system works
Signatureless. And this doesn't count. Because I said so.
This is a load of rubbish. Do a search for flying with a guitar on http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flying+with+a+guitar Pick any of the top three results.

The best way to fly with a guitar is to choose ONE and fly with a gig bag-- likely in an overhead bin. If you need a case, fill it full of laundry and check it---- without the guitar. Check the plane to make sure the bin will hold the guitar. If not, a flight case is the second-best option--- and not a great option, since there are some big drops on many baggage belts--- like a half meter or more.

A guitar in a case is not oversized.

I flew with two guitars once--- checked on in a proper flight case, and carried the archtop on. No way would I fly with a regular case. (I have checked an empty case, however).

Quote by reggaebassman

Also check with the airlines policies because I think you're limited to check in 2 pieces on most international flights some allow 3. On domestic flights most airlines its 1. Some its none and you have to pay 60 - 80.00 a piece.

You may have to check the guitars and the large bag, which means you'll have to bring money to pay for extra or chose to lkeave one behind. If your doing a show then you'll need both I guess.
Storage in the cabin is usually a crapshoot and depends on whether they happen to have space when you how up at the airport. That means you'll be lucky to get one guitar in there, never mind two. What you should do is invest in hardshells. It's extremely unlikely that you will get both instruments in the cabin.

I suggest getting a humidifier for your accoustic, as well.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Some poeple screw off the neck, and take a new set of strings, and a screwdriver with them. But I don't think that will do something for your acoustic....
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by filtersweep

A guitar in a case is not oversized.

Bullshit.

I think you'll find that most airlines only allow a limit of around 80x60cm bags for carry on luggage. Guitars are much bigger than that.
I flew from abu dhabi back to australia with my acoustic on the plane, it fit in the luggage compartment and it's fine.

Last time i flew with my bass in it's hardcase, i couldn't get it as carryon so I filled the case with luggage and made sure it was nice and snug, turned out fine as well, but i think i was lucky there.
Quote by chaoticfables
Damn, that's gonna be hard.

>_>

You might say, it's gonna be a hard case to crack.
YEAAAAAAHHHH
kthxbai.
you need to call your airline. BA let me bring my guitars in the cabin with me, though I've only flown with one at a time before. Even in a hard case you dont want to put it in the hold. it will get knocked about something awful.
Quote by chaoticfables
Damn, that's gonna be hard.

>_>

Tell me about it.

But at least I got plenty of advice from the pit, so thanks everyone

Decided this for my plan :

1) Buy hard case for acoustic
2) Check my suitcase and acoustic guitar in (leaving me with a backpack, and electric)
3) Ask flight attendant to stow my electric in a coat closet (only if it doesn't fit in the overhead compartment)
4) Keep my backpack with me at all times

Fix'd (srsly)
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Tell me about it.

2) Check my suitcase and acoustic guitar in (leaving me with a backpack, and electric)
3) Ask flight attendant to stow my electric in a coat closet (only if it doesn't fit in the overhead compartment)

Fix'd (srsly)

Call the airline ahead of time to avoid any disappointment/complications.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Tell me about it.

Fix'd (srsly)

I'd do that the other way 'round, unless your electric is significantly more valuable than your acoustic. An electric can take the knocks from baggage handlers a lot better than an acoustic.

EDIT: and that ^.
Watching: Louie
Playing: Ground Zeroes, Fallout Shelter
Reading: Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves
Listening: Merrow

PSN/XBL/facebook/Steam : Latchem72
Origin/Twitter: JLatchem72
It is more valuable (twice the price).
My acoustic is also gonna be wrapped in clothes, with the strings loosened.

Oh shit...I just remembered my laptop bag
Different airlines have different policies and different countries too. The Japanese are pricks about taking on equipment, but the lack of communication skills between you both (if you don't speak the language) means you can get away with being a whole lot more pushy. They may finally allow for the guitar to be taken on by cabin crew.
Best bet is to phone up and ask your airline. Whether you can or can't take it on board, it's so wise to buy a hardshell case anyway. Ask a friend or somebody.

Filtersweep has some interesting points.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Apr 5, 2011,
Bullshit to you

Oversized BAGGAGE is different than what you carry on. Someone in one of the posts suggested a guitar in a case was considered oversized baggage (as checked luggage). Of course it is too big to carry on.

Quote by Butt Rayge
Bullshit.

I think you'll find that most airlines only allow a limit of around 80x60cm bags for carry on luggage. Guitars are much bigger than that.