I'm very interested in producing music, a local university has a degree program for music production, however you must already have knowledge in production to even get in. Where can I start learning how to produce music? I figured at least a few people on these boards have experience with it.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Its a hard and ****ed up industry, good luck. Get experience
I leik music
-Musical ability
-Songwriting ability
-Musical understanding
-People Skills (VERY important)
-Ability to think from both business and artist sense
-Ability to see the song from many different perspectives
-Knowledge of instrument/recording technology
-Computer skills
-Contacts
-Software
-A LOT of money and a good act
-Open mind to ANYTHING
-Patience

Honestly, i'd saying that being a good producer is way harder than a musician. I'd almost say that a lot of the skills can't be learned.

I produced my friend's EP. One of the worst experiences of my life. He wanted very empty arrangements and would not change up his songs at all. No background vocals, no hooks, no effects, nothing. Most boring thing i've ever listened to, and I had to listen to it A LOT.
Quote by JacobTheMe
-Musical ability
-Songwriting ability
-Musical understanding
-People Skills (VERY important)
-Ability to think from both business and artist sense
-Ability to see the song from many different perspectives
-Knowledge of instrument/recording technology
-Computer skills
-Contacts
-Software
-A LOT of money and a good act
-Open mind to ANYTHING
-Patience

Honestly, i'd saying that being a good producer is way harder than a musician. I'd almost say that a lot of the skills can't be learned.

I produced my friend's EP. One of the worst experiences of my life. He wanted very empty arrangements and would not change up his songs at all. No background vocals, no hooks, no effects, nothing. Most boring thing i've ever listened to, and I had to listen to it A LOT.

I have the desire to learn and musical ability, I'm asking purely from a technical standpoint. As in do I need to just download some programs and start messing around and trying to figure out or is there a job I can get somewhere to learn how to produce? I thought going to school for it would be the answer but that's not the case, and I can't find any other music production classes in my area.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
I have the desire to learn and musical ability, I'm asking purely from a technical standpoint. As in do I need to just download some programs and start messing around and trying to figure out or is there a job I can get somewhere to learn how to produce? I thought going to school for it would be the answer but that's not the case, and I can't find any other music production classes in my area.

Just download FL studios and dick around until you're as good as this kid. He's like 16. http://www.youtube.com/user/itsmadeon

:3
Double check that there really arent any music technology college/school courses in your area - they should set you up just great for uni.

If you can try to find work in a studio - Im volunteering in a newly constructed one in my town, learning shit loads. I'm always wary of schools for music industry stuff - expensive and a HUGE chance youll get little more than debt for it. See if you can find other ways to get in?
Find local musicians. Get a recording program and try recording them. Or ask if you can use some demo songs and try sprucing them up. What school is it?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Find local musicians. Get a recording program and try recording them. Or ask if you can use some demo songs and try sprucing them up. What school is it?

UCO

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Learn audio engineering techniques. Find a school or get some books and try to get entry level work at some dingy studio.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...