I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the covers section.

It's an arrangement of Shirley Horn's ballad "Here's To Life", but I did my own thing with the chords basically. If needed I will obviously move this immediately.

I would welcome any constructive criticism on this track:
http://soundcloud.com/jerun/heres-to-life-multitrack

Thanks in advance, let me know what you all think!
Last edited by Jerun at Apr 5, 2011,
Hi !
Very enjoyable track. You should get rid of the low hum on the recording,though.
Tasty playing all the way, good tone in guitars and fingers.
Haven't heard the original tune. I like the atmosphere on your recording,relaxed and
moody.
Good work !
Quote by Damocles
Hi !
Very enjoyable track. You should get rid of the low hum on the recording,though.
Tasty playing all the way, good tone in guitars and fingers.
Haven't heard the original tune. I like the atmosphere on your recording,relaxed and
moody.
Good work !

Thanks a lot for your feedback! The original is quite easily found on youtube, and I'd recommend you to listen to it because it's one of the greatest jazz ballads I know

This low hum has been bugging me and I don't know how to get rid of it... I'm recording at home with a simple mac, guitar plugged directly into it. I use garageband. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this?
It is probably because you plug the guitar/mic straight into the Mac.But could be several reasons.The hum is all over 50-1000 hz, so if you remove those frequencies you also remove the "body" of your fine guitarsound.You should really buy/loan a recording interface to feed into yor Mac and Garageband.Do it !
Quote by Damocles
It is probably because you plug the guitar/mic straight into the Mac.But could be several reasons.The hum is all over 50-1000 hz, so if you remove those frequencies you also remove the "body" of your fine guitarsound.You should really buy/loan a recording interface to feed into yor Mac and Garageband.Do it !

Thanks for your analysis!

I have absolutely no knowledge at all on the topic of quality recording, could you recommend me a decent interface? Where can I find this? What's the price range I'm looking at?
I'm not sure if garageband has any plugins but in cubase I use a noise gate and an eq to chop of all of the sub bass and bass frequencies and that completely eliminates any hum. If garageband can't do that I'd suggest a better DAW (recording program) like cubase or reaper (extremely cheap).

I would also suggest buying a Line 6 Guitarport UX2 as your interface. I just recorded my band's demo with one and sounds amazingly real. It has unlimited amounts of clean to distorted sounds
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Apr 5, 2011,
Hey man, not my type of thing but sounds cool. I find theres too much attack at times but its acoustic so its very dynamic but thats just my op.

I personally would compress this piece very lightly just to make it 'smoother' a tad.

Im not a big fan of acoustics haha but great playing.
Hey Jerun! Sorry for the late response! My father passed away recently, so I've been too busy to leave comments back to everyone who left me comments.

Okay, let's begin. I really like the way your acoustics sound. How do you record them? You can hear a lot of emotion in your playing which more people need in music in my opinion. All in all I really enjoyed this song.

So what is soundcloud? Could you explain that to me? Thanks!

-JboyFreshhh
Thanks to all for you comments!

@sammo_boi: I just bought a Line 6 Pod X3, this should get me on my way to better recordings

@smokeysteve22: thanks, I can understand that this isn't everybody's cup of tea I'll try fiddling around with it a bit more and see what I can improve

@JBoyFreshhh: I completely understand of course, I'm sorry for your loss... I record by plugging directly into my mac + Garageband. Soundcloud is a website where you can upload your work so other people can leave comments (timed, so you can give a comment on specific parts), and you get some statistics on who listened, commented or liked your music. It has a free option, so you should definitely check it out!