..well really there's 4 with the singer but just one guitar.

Anyway, when covering a band with 2 guitars what takes priority, lead or rhythm?

Obviously it depends on the songs but just as an example say Dakota by the Stereophonics. I've been listening to the track and obviously the lead in the intro and chorus can't be left out as it forms part of the fabric of the song but the lead throughout the verse isn't as obvious but still important.

So if I play all lead the song lacks a solid base and drive and if I play rhythm in parts it lacks molody??

Help!
You really have to pick and choose what you play. A lot of bands have to adapt numerous parts for live use and combine the most important bits.

I wonder if a looper would be any help at all though.
I'm in a covers band with the same set-up as you and we manage!

We even do a few songs which require a keyboard and guitar, of which both parts are done by me, such as Feeling Good by Muse, I do all the keyboardy bits on the guitar (adapted a bit to sound better of course) and then when the chorus kicks in I kick up the overdrive and follow the powerchords.
Also, Mr Brightside by the Killers, there's a fair bit of keyboard in that, I just whack my chorus pedal on and do the keyboard bit as good as I can while still making it sound suitable for the song.

We used to even do a Coheed and Cambria song which needed two guitars to get the harmonies and stuff right, but we adapted.

All you can do, is, either find a second guitarist (but this may make things harder for you as you'll need to sort out tones and stuff that compliment eachother) or adapt your stuff to sound as good wth one guitar. Or you could even get th ebassist to alter ther part a bit to incorporate a bit of the second guitar bit. Might sound interesting.
Whatever is more promenant in the original recording.

If the main body of the song has lots of up front crunching riffs with the occasional lead widdle overdubbed on it, ignore the widdle.
If it's more widdle that crunch, ignore the crunch.

If you have room to do both fairly satisfactoraly, then this is the best option.

Usualy, it's a case of playing just the rhythm and any major solos, but your bassist is important here because when you leave that space in the background when you switch from rhythm to lead, it's up to him to fill it by either playing more complex backing, playing chords or simply hitting an overdrive pedal.
Drummers can also help to fill it by hitting the cymbals a bit more or adding complexity to the beat.

The main thing to remember though is that it really isn't that important to make the song sound exactly like the recording (unless you're in a tribute band) just so long as you play it well, infact, an audience will generally appreciate a band more for doing their own version of a song rather than an exact copy of a song.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 5, 2011,