Ok so today I picked up an EMG-81TW and I've mostly installed it, I wired everything up and before finishing it up I've gone to give it a test run. The volume pot doesn't seem to work, I'm getting a permanent volume level, turning up has no effect and at zero there is still audio. Does this mean I nuked the volume pot with my shonky soldering or is it more likely to be a wiring problem. The battery I'm using could be dying but I figure that wouldn't result in there being sound when the pot is at zero.

Side note: I should have bought a new soldering iron for this, mine is junk.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Active EMGs need 10k pots rather than 250k or 500k. This likely your problem.
I was using the included pots, this is brand new shop bought today. Even so that should still go to zero volume. My new plan is im thinking of replacing the volume pot with a 3 position switch. 2 positions will be the single coil and humbucker selection and the third disconnected so I can kill switch, anyone know if that would be potentially damaging to the pickup (switching it on and off repeatedly). Volume doesn't really matter as I almost always play on full.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Last edited by nitestick at Apr 5, 2011,
Bump. Does anyone have any opinion on the 3 way killswitch idea? I've emailed EMG asking if they have a wiring diagram for it and if it would be potentially damaging to the pickup to killswitch in that fashion. If they it's OK I think I'll go ahead with this idea as it's simple, different and efficient for me. I'm planning to cover the switch with a missile switch cover :p.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
All fixed sounds brilliant now. I'm a complete idiot as it turns out. I had one of the jack wires soldered to the wrong terminal on the tone pot. The single coil produces a nice different tone to the 81, I've been using it for playing clean and lead sort of stuff while I've been using the EMG81 for heavy rhythm.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212