simple question really... but complicated explanation =/ please follow it

me and my friend have been asked to join a band to finish its line up, both of us being joint lead guitar.

the bands name is "My Haunting Revenge"... me and my friend arnt really fans of this name and one of the conditions we made of us joining for us joining is that it gets changed to a name that the whole of the band likes.

after messaging the lead singer she has said that she doesnt want to change the name as it means alot to her and she has wanted a band called that since she was a child also saying that nobody else in the band has a problem with it (the bassist and un-announced drummer)

my view is that if the whole band picks the name it will mean more to its members. but this one has over 800 fans on FB without actually doing anything and has just posted random status updates and pictures of possible merch since it was created.

It is her band at the end of the day but if not all the members like the name (considering they have had 1 practice sesion and never even played a song together) should she be open to picking something else?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
yes she should...

she sounds like an amy-lee wannabe. "my band, not yours" type attitude.

my advice would be to stay away. the worst thing in the world is a lead singer with too much egocentricism and attitude.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Yes everyone needs to have an equal say otherwise problems WILL arise. Don't waste yours and your friend's time.
What kind of messed up kid wants to name their band "My Haunting Revenge"?
she has wanted a band called that since she was a child

this says so much about the whole thing...

okay, first of all, that is a ****ing awful band name. now that i got that out of the way, talk to the other people in the band, not her. singers always think they own the band, it's true. it's most certainly not her band, unless she writes all of the material and you guys are just session/live players, and that is obviously not the case.

if everyone else agrees that they hate the name, she'll have to let you all change it. if the other two members are fine with it, then it's probably because they don't want to go against the singer, and not because they actually like that name.

also, 800 fans on facebook doesn't really mean anything. that's not much at all, and who really cares anyway. anyone can get all their friends to add them. if you had like 80,000, then maybe that would be something. but who cares really.

honestly though, the girl sounds like she would be generally kind of a loser if she only will use an awful band name she thought up of as a little kid. it sounds like you should avoid this band all together, or else just steal the bassist and drummer and ditch her. that's how i see it anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Perhaps she'd be assuaged if you agreed to call an album or song by that title, but changed the band name. It's not a very good band name, but OK as a song title.
The band formed when you weren't there mate. Just get over it. How about you guys make some music?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Cazman
What kind of messed up kid wants to name their band "My Haunting Revenge"?

yeah i think the song name instead is nice, i know a few people who've called songs after bands they were in, albeit after they had broken up.

one thing i'd be worried about, as other people have said is that she sounds like she might have a bit of frontman (woman?) syndrome. just watch out for that, it can be annoying as hell to have to try and work with.

how good is she? i say rob the bassist and find a drummer, and then call the band that anyway just to spite her (minus the last bit)
Quote by AlanHB
The band formed when you weren't there mate. Just get over it. How about you guys make some music?

thats the ting though... it did and it didnt

as in she made a page on FB well over 12 months ago, invited a few people to join the band and they all got sick of waiting around for a practice and left... so technically it never actually formed...

and thanks for the advise people. will definatly think abit harder about the situation.

and to the guy who said she sounds like amy lee... you are almost spot on lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy

as in she made a page on FB well over 12 months ago, invited a few people to join the band and they all got sick of waiting around for a practice and left... so technically it never actually formed... l

If it never formed, you wouldn't know the name. Just weigh up whether the name is so bad that you can't play music with them or whether you can deal with it. If you can't, don't join the band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Dave Frenzy

as in she made a page on FB well over 12 months ago, invited a few people to join the band and they all got sick of waiting around for a practice and left... so technically it never actually formed...

Even with ignoring the naming issue, it doesn't sound like the band won't get far anyway.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Be careful, she could be Axl Rose in disguise!

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Sounds like the people here that "formed" a band then got me to join, jammed once, then never got together again. Also with a egotistical front(wo)man.
Just steal the other members, or just you two start your own band. :P