Looking to Swap out my 57/08's for something that has more bite and sounds much hotter.

Think Hard Rock/Metal.

I have read some things about PRS HFS and SC250 pickups, and I know people close by that have them.

What do you guys recommend? I just want to know if they are decent pickups. I want to avoid buying and them and realizing that they are terribly sterile.
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
the SC250 pups aren't that high output. i think around 9K for the #7s my friend has in his SC250.

the HFS are better suited to what you want to do.

i know i've told you that before but since you keep making threads about it, there you have it again.

go play a custom 24 with the HFS, see what you think.

edit: also, i will buy the 57/08s if you decide to sell them. kthxbai
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Rare to find somebody not liking the 57/08s, but they are worth loads of money I guess.

If ya want PRS pups then yeah, but theres nothing really high gain. Also the place to go to is birds and moons, if you want any info PRS related anyway.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Rare to find somebody not liking the 57/08s, but they are worth loads of money I guess.

If ya want PRS pups then yeah, but theres nothing really high gain. Also the place to go to is birds and moons, if you want any info PRS related anyway.

The 57/08's do sound amazing - however it doesnt really work or cut through the mix with my band's style. Playing low output vintage pickups through a bogner uberschall just seems...counter productive. I need something thats hotter. I was thinking about seymours or HFS, but some guy is sellling his stock SC450's he just ripped out of his newly acquired PRS for pretty cheap (125 for both). I figured id give them a try.

And, I plan on keeping the 57/08's
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
The beauty of an amp like an Uberschall is that you can use low output pups and get incredible clarity and articulation with them If your failing to cut trough I would say its going to be more your amp/can combination that your pickups.

I would imagine they actually sound godly.

Out of curiosity, what amp does the other guy use? 6505? Mesa Dual Rec?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
The beauty of an amp like an Uberschall is that you can use low output pups and get incredible clarity and articulation with them If your failing to cut trough I would say its going to be more your amp/can combination that your pickups.

I would imagine they actually sound godly.

Out of curiosity, what amp does the other guy use? 6505? Mesa Dual Rec?

It does sound godly, especially when I hook up my MXR 10 band and EQ the uberschall. Kind of off-topic, but sticking a MXR 10 band in front of the clean channel on the uberschall totally totally strips it off that "sterile" feel and brings it to life. However, it seems the pickups don't have enough "balls". I tried a buddys PRS SC250 through the bogner and it added a large amount of "edge" to it. My cleans definetly will not sound as good, but im willling to sacrifice that.

Plus, once I get the SC250 pups installed I will pretty much have (half) the same setup that tremonti uses. (PRS custom with SC250s/Tremonti > Bogner Uberschall/Triple Rec). I love how "ballsy" his tone is.
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Last edited by psychosylocibin at Apr 5, 2011,
I 100% bet you the reason you dont cut is just the fat arse of mids the Mesa carries round with it.

I would say Tremonti balls comes from about 4 guitar tracks and shit loads of post production but meh lol

But if you have found another set that you like more, go for it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by psychosylocibin
Playing low output vintage pickups through a bogner uberschall just seems...counter productive. I need something thats hotter. I was thinking about seymours or HFS

see you are thinking clearly here. vintage tone pups will work, but not as well as modern pups. period.

it can be done, but its not optimal.

i would think the HFS or Tremonte pups would fit a lot better.

i won't say the HFS in my CU24 sounds better than the nailbombz in my mccarty, but i will say they sound a lot different. the HFS is a wider range, the bomb is more compressed if that makes sense, focused and a little darker than the HFS.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
see you are thinking clearly here. vintage tone pups will work, but not as well as modern pups. period.

it can be done, but its not optimal.

i would think the HFS or Tremonte pups would fit a lot better.

i won't say the HFS in my CU24 sounds better than the nailbombz in my mccarty, but i will say they sound a lot different. the HFS is a wider range, the bomb is more compressed if that makes sense, focused and a little darker than the HFS.

good luck.

Time to take a trip to the local GC and try out some PRS Custom 24s with HFS's, get em' nice and dirty. (I consider it payback for convincing my naive self back in 2006 to buy a spider valve).
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
I wish I still had my Cu24. I would have sent you my HFS/VB set and $100 for that 57/08 set in a second. Seriously the 57/08's are WAY better pickups. Maybe try something like WCR Godwoods if you want a little more bite. I have them in one of my Cu22's and they are amazing. Best pickups I have played and I used to be quite the BKP *****. As for lower outout pickups not working through a high gain amp that is pure BS. You will get more clarity and dynamics. A super high gain amp and super high output pickups are definately not needed for the type of tone you want to achieve. A hot PAF though an Uberschall will be ballsy as all hell. You should be able to achieve it with the 57/08's no problem.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Apr 5, 2011,
If you really want to cut through, the other option is a pedal.

Seriously, I have a lovepedal redhead, if you stick the sustain up it goes nuts.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12