I find it really difficult to play and sing at the same time, I kind of forget what I'm actually meant to be playing, does anyone else get this or has anyone else had that problem?
Just practice playing until you can do it without thinking. Then work on singing it. I think there's a lesson on here about it.
I rarely play without singing so I've taught myself to keep both things under control. Not that I'm a good singer nor guitarist but I'm managing it.

A good platform for learning chords + song and to learn how to sing to each chord is to do some Dylan songs and perhaps a few Neil Young songs.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Apr 5, 2011,
Same problem here... I try to practice on it and I'm slowly improving. But I still find it hard as I like to and can concentrate on only one thing at the time.
I can't do it if the guitar rhythm is too complicated but if there a steady rhythm I can do it pretty easily. That said I can't actually sing very well in the first place but meh.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Learn to sing it properly, then learn to play it properly. Then play it simplified but while singing it, and build on that.
I can pick up on the singing while playing pretty quick.

It's just when you tempo of the playing and the singing are different or on completely unrelated notes is when it get difficult.

It all comes together with practice though, and taking it slow. Also learning both parts at the same time helps me sometimes.
Quote by hairypineapple
Learn to sing it properly, then learn to play it properly. Then play it simplified but while singing it, and build on that.

Other way is better imo.

Or take songs you already know how to sing well. Your favorite songs perhaps and just fool around with chords as you'd know how to sing it blindfolded anyway. (blindfolded wasn't really a great example here but yeah )
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash