Hello six string brother. I'm primarily a bassist but I'm looking to buy a guitar just for funsies. I.e. jamming along to songs at home, never live. Here's what I'm after:

-Good sounding.
-Easily modifiable, I like messing around.
-Versatile. I'm not sure whether that means variety in pickups or a preamp. Do guitars have preamps? :/
-CHEAP, <£250ish
-Not pointy and not red. (I'm never usually picky about colours but it seems I always end up with red gear...)

I've played several "high end" Squier basses and they've all been very impressive for the price so would a CV Squier guitar be good too?

I'm asking this rather than going for any old thing because I do have a good ear for tone yet I never really know where to start with guitars, also different brands do guitars and basses differently, i.e. Epiphone might make good guitars but their basses are abysmal.

Any suggestions of brands and models would be great, thanks.

(p.s. I've previously owned an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that was a few hundred too expensive for me to keep. So I'm not a total n00b at guitar and I already have a decent practise amp.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Apr 5, 2011,
The classic vibe squiers are VERY good, easy the best guitar in that price range!

I bought a Classic vibe tele 50's a few months back and its just great!
I'd recommend going to a guitar center or sam ash and just trying out a bunch in your price range, but yes, CV's are definitely a good choice.

And to answer your question on versatility, I've never heard of a guitar with a preamp built in, but as far as pickups go, the main two are single coil and humbucker. Make sure you try both of them out. Single coil usually give's that "strat"-ey sound a la David Gilmour, whereas humbuckers have a punchier tone a la Jimmy Page. If you're going for metal, maybe check out something with active pickups, although those are usually more expensive.

But yeah, if you wanted distortion, overdrive, or any other preamps, you'll have to either buy a pedal or buy an amp with them built in. Line6 is pretty popular if you're going the amp route, and they're pretty cheap too. And Digitech makes some cheap multi-effects processors (pedal) that come with 100s of effects to **** around with. If you're not going live, and you were just looking to mess around with guitar, save up for something like that.
Classic Vibe is going to be your winner for sure ; they just play leagues above their lower counter parts. It's like a B-Stock Mexi to me, which is a good thing. Amp wise if your goal is versatility than you're gonna want a modeling amp. I prefer Peavey Vypyr to the Line 6 but either will get the job done. But stick with a CV and you're good!
^ That's good to hear, my amp is a Vox modelling amp of some sort. Not specific amps but tones (I guess its more of a digital amp than a modelling amp but yeah versatility is its thing).

I've noticed that the Squier Vintage Modified line has a lot of guitars with humbuckers and single coils on the same guitar, a plus of versatility of course, but how do they compare to the Classic Vibe series?
An H/S/S Strat like the vintage modified would be a very versatile guitar. The humbucker in the bridge would give you some decent rock crunch, but you still get a lot of the "strat sound" with the other two single coils.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
You say you don't want anything pointy, so that rules out some guitars. I think anything in the Fender/Squire world would make you happy. I bought a used Gretsch Pro Jet for about $300 USD that I absolutely love. It has a chambered mahogany body that gives it a unique sound. You could also check out some the Ibanez Art series. They're a little less "pointy" than some of the other Ibanez guitars.

Personally whenever someone asks me for a recommendation for a versatile guitar, I tell them to look at a Stratocaster. With a S/S/S or H/S/S pickup configuration and a 5-way selector switch that's about as versatile as you're going to get.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Classic Vibe Squiers have been said already, but really. Get a Classic Vibe Squier. They're easy to mod (hell, if you have the CV Strat you can get pickguards that come pre-equipped with electronics).

Yamaha Pacifica is also very nice, the humbucker makes it a little more versatile. It's a slightly worse wood (the ones I tried anyway) than the Classic Vibe Squiers, though.

For the budget you have, you're not going to get a guitar with active pickups (though you can drop actives into basically any guitar with a little work).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by I AM DEREK
ESP. Love them to death. Save up and look into an ESP LTD Viper.

I don't think he wanted to spend too much and just wanted to mess around with mods, etc, althoug that guitar does look pretty cool
I reckon a squier is defintely the best option.
Although, I bought this el-cheapo guitar off ebay a year ago or so for $70 bucks. It's HSS and probably my second favourite guitar. The cheap hardware and pickups give it character. The humbucker is really bright and harsh sounding, but sounds just like keith richards solo on 'sympathy for the devil', with a bit of od.
I pretty much say what everyone else is saying. Humbucker equipper, 22 fret strat. What sort of genre are you playing?

Quote by mjones1992
..... Line6 is pretty popular if you're going the amp route, and they're pretty cheap too....

lol nah. DONT get a line6 spider. Just dont do it.
If want you want heaps of effects and shit get a Peavey Vypyr, leagues ahead of the spiders in everything.

Quote by I AM DEREK

Ew.
The squier modified series do NOT compare to the classic vibe squiers.. If you really want a HSS setup on the strat, i would still go for the classic vibe strat and then mod it it shouldnt be too hard
Go for the Yamaha Pacifica>>>>>>than any squier.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by CreepingDeath13

Ew.

Clearly you have never played one of these. There'd be no need for saying "ew" if you have. Way better than any squier everyone else is suggesting.
I was going to say squier as it was my very first guitar. It was a good guitar for the price. The biggest problem I had with it was the quality of the pickups on larger amps. It tended to feedback.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Quote by PsiGuy60
Classic Vibe Squiers have been said already, but really. Get a Classic Vibe Squier. They're easy to mod (hell, if you have the CV Strat you can get pickguards that come pre-equipped with electronics).

I think if I get a Strat then rails/stacks will be a requirement!

Quote by I AM DEREK

ESPs are pointy. Also my budget isn't a matter of how much I can spend, its a matter of how much I want to spend.

Quote by CreepingDeath13
I pretty much say what everyone else is saying. Humbucker equipper, 22 fret strat. What sort of genre are you playing?

Everything really, no set genre.

Quote by Paul Bright
The biggest problem I had with it was the quality of the pickups on larger amps. It tended to feedback.

Shouldn't be a problem, I'll probably be using headphones 90% of the time and I certainly won't be using any big amps. (Lots of pedals though!)

Methinks the Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, upgraded with hum cancelling pickups, is in the lead. Way over budget but I can always sell something to soothe my aching wallet.
Just a suggestion, and an alternative for a 1st hand squier maybe a 2nd hand Japanese Fender, might be worth a look on ebay and local listings. Could be a bit out of your price range, but it'll hold it's value better than a squier probably.
Since most people have been pointing out guitars with single-coil pickups, here's two that are great (I own one of them, although have tried out the V100 too).

Obviously I'm no Vintage brand salesman, so I gain nothing with publicising my guitar brand/model, but unlike many, I am advising a guitar based on personal experience.
This being said, I also went for it, because I was very impressed at how much better it was and felt in my hands compaired to more common Epiphone equivalents, yet this being cheaper.
Also, it's a UK brand, and if I'm correct by basing it off by the currency you used to give out your budget, you also reside in the UK, which means it shouldn't be hard to find, and if it's the case, shipping fee's will be lower too.
And of course, it's british, and I offer no resistance to anyone for being proud of owning something made from their own country.
Quote by jpcl
Since most people have been pointing out guitars with single-coil pickups, here's two that are great (I own one of them, although have tried out the V100 too).

Obviously I'm no Vintage brand salesman, so I gain nothing with publicising my guitar brand/model, but unlike many, I am advising a guitar based on personal experience.
This being said, I also went for it, because I was very impressed at how much better it was and felt in my hands compaired to more common Epiphone equivalents, yet this being cheaper.
Also, it's a UK brand, and if I'm correct by basing it off by the currency you used to give out your budget, you also reside in the UK, which means it shouldn't be hard to find, and if it's the case, shipping fee's will be lower too.
And of course, it's british, and I offer no resistance to anyone for being proud of owning something made from their own country.

jpcl is right... Vintage guitars are awesome.
Although i'm not british, I've tried a couple of Les Paul shaped Vintage and I was amazed when I realized that Vintage axes are really good value for your money.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease