Hiya fellow UG members,

It's a rainy day over here, so I thought 'ah hell i'll just sign up for UG'.
So I made an account, and now I can start asking a question I came up with yesterday.

So yesterday I went to 'ye olde local music store', and played some new Strats and stuff they had. Suddenly a old beat-up Telecaster caught my eye. It appeared to be a secondhand Squier Tele with 'Made in Japan' on the headstock. So I, with my limited knowledge about MIJ Fenders and Squiers, thought 'wow, a MIJ Squier, those are ought to be good quality, and have become quite collectible'. Then I saw for how much the store sold it; 150 euro (212,50500 dollars, according to current stock exchange ) My question is, how much is this Tele supposed to be worth in good condition? It was severely beaten, and had scratches all over, but is it still underpriced? I even got the serial number off of it; E747850. This makes it a 1987 Squier(?). Any thoughts?

EDIT: I also took some quick pictures with my mobile phone of the damage, but being pictures from a mobile phone, they're low quality. Real low
Last edited by Big_Dipper at Apr 5, 2011,
if it is a squier then there should've been squier on the headstock? also squier get kinda a bad name around here but i'd say if it feels good, sounds good then why wouldn't it be good?

if it's fender then i guess it's a steal. you'd have a great deal if it is a genuine fender.

quality wise you'll have better quality on fender on average, there are always exceptions.

ooh and welcome on UG
Last edited by wolvenrick at Apr 5, 2011,
Oh, forgot to specify that yeah, it had Squier on the headstock . I know MIJ Fender and Squiers can be high-quality, I just want to know if I would buy it, would it be a good deal on my side? As in, the guitar is worth quite a bit more than what i payed for it, even if it's al beat-up.
Show us the pics, im kinda confused here, is it a squier?

An MIJ 80s squier would probably wipe the floor with most of fenders current sub-£500 guitars. The JVs/SQs are well sought after.

An MIJ 80s fender would probably wipe the floor with most of fenders current sub £1000 guitars.

Excluding the japanese ones ofc...

Either way, you got a sick deal.

E747850 - Dated between 1984-1987
Does it say made in japan on the headstock/heel of the neck?
Quote by Big_Dipper
Oh, forgot to specify that yeah, it had Squier on the headstock . I know MIJ Fender and Squiers can be high-quality, I just want to know if I would buy it, would it be a good deal on my side? As in, the guitar is worth quite a bit more than what i payed for it, even if it's al beat-up.

i don't know for quality on squiers but if you say you know i trust you on that.
150 euro's is not so expensive in my opinion but there too i have a job a earn above that every month. also the fact that it's beat up can never let you down to buy in my opinion.
i think guitars look better when aged/beat up.
for example i think stratocasters are cool when looking like this
http://img99.imageshack.us/i/gitarr3qb2.jpg/
http://www.jftab.com/img/gear/guitar/frusciante-stratocaster-wite.jpg
i think they are ugly when they are normal. with others guitar, a little less difference for me.
if i'd played it and it felt good to my hands sounded good to my ears, i'd have bought it already.

bottom-line all about you're own situation and opinion.

also a notice scratches do not make a guitar less worth nowadays, they make a guitar worth more;
http://www.musicstore.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductCompare-Dispatch
more scratches more euros strange enough, yes i know these are artificial scratches but you get my point
Last edited by wolvenrick at Apr 5, 2011,
don't say it's a Fender if it's a Squier... Even though Squier is made by Fender, they're still different guitars.
As for the guitar, I don't know exactly how much MIJ Squiers are worth, but I guess that would be a reasonnable deal; 212$ would be a nice price for a high-end Squier of today, my guess is that an old MIJ is worth more
Quote by beckyjc
Show us the pics, im kinda confused here, is it a squier?

An MIJ 80s squier would probably wipe the floor with most of fenders current sub-£500 guitars. The JVs/SQs are well sought after.

An MIJ 80s fender would probably wipe the floor with most of fenders current sub £1000 guitars.

Excluding the japanese ones ofc...

Either way, you got a sick deal.

E747850 - Dated between 1984-1987
Does it say made in japan on the headstock/heel of the neck?

The pics only show some of the damage (scratches, chips, minor fretboard wear). Still want them? But yeah it was a Squier, and it said Made In Japan on the headstock, right next to the Squier logo. And I thought the JV's/SQ's are among the best strats ever made, even if they hade the Squier decal. Or am I just misinformed?

Quote by wolvenrick
i don't know for quality on squiers but if you say you know i trust you on that.
150 euro's is not so expensive in my opinion but there too i have a job a earn above that every month. also the fact that it's beat up can never let you down to buy in my opinion.
i think guitars look better when aged/beat up.
for example i think stratocasters are cool when looking like this
http://img99.imageshack.us/i/gitarr3qb2.jpg/
http://www.jftab.com/img/gear/guitar/frusciante-stratocaster-wite.jpg
i think they are ugly when they are normal. with others guitar, a little less difference for me.
if i'd played it and it felt good to my hands sounded good to my ears, i'd have bought it already.

bottom-line all about you're own situation and opinion.

also a notice scratches do not make a guitar less worth nowadays, they make a guitar worth more;
http://www.musicstore.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductCompare-Dispatch
more scratches more euros strange enough, yes i know these are artificial scratches but you get my point

Yeah I agree with you about the worn guitars, it makes a guitar way cooler, although I think it should come naturally, and you shouldnt pay extra for. I was already thinking of buying it, it felt good and sounded good, but I wanted to know if on top of that I would have a nice deal.
MIJ Fenders are not the same as MIJ Squires. I would suggest that you could likely bargain with the shop. They are not losing money at that price.

Quote by Big_Dipper
The pics only show some of the damage (scratches, chips, minor fretboard wear). Still want them? But yeah it was a Squier, and it said Made In Japan on the headstock, right next to the Squier logo. And I thought the JV's/SQ's are among the best strats ever made, even if they hade the Squier decal. Or am I just misinformed?

Yeah I agree with you about the worn guitars, it makes a guitar way cooler, although I think it should come naturally, and you shouldnt pay extra for. I was already thinking of buying it, it felt good and sounded good, but I wanted to know if on top of that I would have a nice deal.
Quote by Big_Dipper

You should buy it just for this reason, no matter the make if it sounds good and feels good for that price you should definitely go for it
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by Skinny91
You should buy it just for this reason, no matter the make if it sounds good and feels good for that price you should definitely go for it

Yeah, thats a good point, don't have a lot to say to that
Still, does anybody know how much it's worth? I'm curious.