So my band is losing our bassist in mid-may. We have tried out numerous people, but they either couldn't commit to quite as rigorous of a schedule as we have, they didn't have/couldn't afford touring gear or just didn't fit our quirky personalities. The remaining 5 of us are tight and we decided to absorb the slack internally within the band. Since I played bass professionally before forming this band, I got pegged as new bassist. So I sold my Reinhardt and went bass rig shopping. After about a week or so of playing countless rigs I got.........

Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special. I waffled between 4 or 5 strings as I used to own both (5 String Fender Jazz, 4 String Warwick Corvette). Ultimately I decided 4 was the way to go as my band tunes to C# which would have my 5th string as a G#. I was fine with this, however I knew that finding heavy enough strings, especially on tour would be an arduous task. I strung it with 50-115 GHS Boomers. This bass has great mid range punch, which helps mitigate the loss of a 3rd guitar in our sound. I like the 3 band EQ and tend to set my pickup blend about 80% Precision p'up and 20% Jazz. This wasnt the most expensive bass I couldve gotten for sure (tried a 76 Gibson Grabber, and while I loved the sound I couldn't bond with the neck) but it played and sounded the best for my needs, while offering lots of versatility. Also the Jazz Bass neck is nice too

Then I moved on to the amp/ cab configuration

After playing everything in the bass room at work, I wheeled out a

I tried Ampegs (just sounded kinda bland). Markbass (loved it but couldnt quite get the raunch) and GK (again just a bit too clean). For the money these Acoustics are really hard to beat. I settled on the cab first, because the 810 seems to have more mids than the equivalent 410/115 or 410/410 configurations. It doesnt have quite the low end extension, but the cab is for stage sound, not house sound. I want to cut through in the mix not simply thump beneath it. I also disable the horn as horns just seem to do nothing but add hiss to the sound. I tried lots of heads, but the B600 sang with the P Bass. It got a nice drive to it when I pushed it a bit, and was REALLY loud. I took the rig to our practice space and A/Bed with my current bassists MarkBass Tube 800. The Acoustic was considerably louder than the 800, though the 800 had it outclassed in power and headroom. The Acoustic definitely filled the room more, and had the walls shaking with the volume around 2 1/2. The MarkBass was over halfway up and didnt have nearly the girth and punch. Running through my pedalboard I found my magic combination of grit and boom. Oddly enough my Silverkiss makes a fantastic bass drive. I can't wait till my first show running this bass rig. It sounds INCREDIBLE

EDIT: My bass rig is basically P Bass > Polytune > Big Muff > Fuzz Factory > Silverkiss > PS3 > M9 > B600H/B810
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Apr 5, 2011,
Nice rig!

might want to post this in the bass forum though, more people will apreciate this there
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
this is true, but I am a regular GG&A resident...so idk.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
and...
when you are a regular resident you know you have to upload REAL pics, instead of stock images, but whatevah
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Lol

Well I will do so this week. I live an hour from our practice space though, so I wont be there till we load up for our show on friday
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
nice rig!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Cool! Looks like I'm going to be playing bass in the band I was playing drums in now, so I gotta get me a decent rig
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do consider the Acoustic amps for sure! Incredible sound for your money. If you can swing it the MarkBass stuff is sweet too
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Sweet rig.

You must be pretty serious about touring if you're willing to deal with an 8x10" cab.
I'm digging the colours on that bass, btw.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Actual photos please. Or its an MG.

you got me

I promise to snag some actual photos once i go back to the practice space. I can get a pic of the bass at least as its currently in the car
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by TheQuailman
Sweet rig.

You must be pretty serious about touring if you're willing to deal with an 8x10" cab.
I'm digging the colours on that bass, btw.

We tour mostly during the summer though we do mini tours year round. As for moving the cab its actually surprisingly easy. It has kick back wheels and it has handles on the bottom. Loading it in my station wagon was really easy, easier than my 412 guitar cab I'd say. Just leaned the skid rails against the lip of the trunk, grabbed the bottom handles, picked it up and slid it in. Now it will only go from practice space to trailer to gig, so it is really simple now.

I like the color scheme too. I think that I may replace the dinky vintage bridge with a Babicz Full Contact Bridge in the near future
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
very nice rig! i'd like to take up bass as well at some point
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Bloodshed
you got me

I promise to snag some actual photos once i go back to the practice space. I can get a pic of the bass at least as its currently in the car

Waiting.

Me loves bass pr0nz. Beeg beeg strings=WIN
^+1

Quote by Bloodshed

I like the color scheme too. I think that I may replace the dinky vintage bridge with a Babicz Full Contact Bridge in the near future

Now that you're saying it, it does look a little flimsy on that picture.

Quote by JAHellraiser
very nice rig! i'd like to take up bass as well at some point

Do it. It's an incredibly fun instrument and will give you new ideas about playing your (non-bass-) guitar.
It's also a lot easier to get a spot at a jam or in a band as a bassist than as a guitarist.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 5, 2011,
a couple laptop pics of the bass. I'm headed to practice tonight

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Beautiful rig man. I see another Fuzz Factory + Bass user Excellent choice

I'd never heard of Acoustic before, would you rate them as a brand in general? I'm doing some research into compiling a more gig-worthy bass rig for myself/my band, and I'm open to suggestions for brands other than the usual Ampeg/Ashdown/MarkBass/Eden recommendations.

Enjoy mate
Acoustic amps are pretty killer for the money. My head/cab can be had for around $1200. I think they are actually on sale at GC for 999 together this month. Plus they have a 3 year warranty for any reason (work at GC, yes its true) where if anything goes wrong you can simply swap for a new one. Tonewise its got that more vintage midrange, so compared t the usual ampeg/eden/markbass its got more mids and not as much of the super lows and super highs. I like the tone a lot though. I bought it based on the sounds I got from it, but I tried pretty much everything under the $2k mark

Plus the Acoustic just has that sexy vintage vibe when you look at it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Apr 13, 2011,
sweet rig. i haven't played the acoustic bass amps in a while. i need to do that again.

very nice rig.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.