Hi, I'm about to give a speach in class for for about 5 minutes as a fraction of my final exam in my language (swedish). I was able to choose from a variety of topics and I chose "The language of music". I'm allowed to interpret this in any way I want.

It's kinda hard for me to express what I really mean since english isn't my native language but... I was thinking about the MEANING / MESSAGE of songs. For example if you listen to Shostakovich (Classical music) 8th string quartet, then you can almost sense in the tone of the music that it was compelled under the world war 2.
I hope you understand.

I was searching around a bit for articles about this in english as I need to footnote an article as I'm giving the speach. Also, the speaking is tomorrow so I need some quick advice.

Thanks,

/Tom

PS: For you understanding Swedish I was thinking about a title "Musikens budskap". I need to find and english article of this to be able to reffer to it later
Last edited by opel at Apr 5, 2011,
Do you actually have exams already?! We in "Söta Bror" arent going to have orals before mid-june...

You should try to vary in terms of epochs. That's all I really have to say.

^He refers to an annoying inside joke on this forum. Move on.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by opel
Yeah, they started this monday. Btw, Im also 92:er

So, you're done with school already in may or something then?
Quote by opel
It HAS TO BE an article

@up, yes correct

I envy you then. Really much! I'm not done before late in june.

Good luck on your exam though!

Also, why should it be an article? A video is at least just as credible as a source.
-- and aren't you supposed to just speak about the subject? You don't need to show an article for that?
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 5, 2011,
I don't need to show the article to the class, need to show it to the teacher so she can confirm the source and chec if I didn't rip off the artice completly word to word.

It has to be an artice since the university producing this "National test" have decided it to be so; this can't be changed.
Quote by G.Krizzel
If you type in "The language of music" in google, on the first page there will be a PDF called "Language, music, syntax and the brain".

Better?

I was thinking about a less "heavy" lecture...
I actually did a whole assignment on this a little while ago, here's my bibliography if you want some more sources:

Adorno, T. W. (1956) “Music and Language: A Fragment”, <http://www.liv.ac.uk/soclas/yrabroad/essay/BibrefMHRA.pdf> [Accessed 12 March 2011]

Bernstein, L., (1976)*The Unanswered Question: Six Talks at Harvard, Cambridge, Mass, Harvard University Press

Chomsky, N., (1965)*Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press

Descartes, R. (1987) Abrégé de musique, Presses universitaires de France

Diderot, D., (1975) CEuvres completes, ed. Jean Varloot, Paris: Hermann

Goodall, H., (2001) Big Bangs: Five Musical Revolutions, Vintage; New Edition

Keller, R., (1995) “Expression and Meaning”,*A Theory of Linguistic Signs, New York: Oxford University Press

Kramer, L., (1992) “Music and Representation: the instance of Haydyn’s Creation”, Music and Text: Critical Inquiries, Cambridge University Press

Mersenne, M. (1985) Questions harmoniques, Paris: Fayard

Meyer, L. (1991) Developing Variations, University of Minnesota Press; First Edition

Nattiez, J. J., (1990).*Music and Discourse: Toward a Semiology of Music*(Musicologie générale et sémiologue, 1987), Princeton University Press

Powers, H., (1980) “Language Models and Musical Analysis”, The Garland Library of the History of Western Music, New York, Garland Publishing

Ruwet, N., (1972) Langage, musique, poesie, Paris

Scruton, R. (1999) The Aesthetics of Music, Clarendon Press; New Edition

Thomas, D. A., (1998) Music and the Origins of Language: Theories from the French Enlightenment, Cambridge University Press

Van Leeuwen, T., (2005) Introducing Social Semiotics, Routledge; New Edition
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

@kalnoky7
Please don't make this a joke. I understand you are trying to be humorous which indicates a lack of knowledge about this matter. Whithdraw comrade...

@the_astronaut
I appreciate your sources, though considering the lack of time, I can't really check any of these out. I was mainly hoping for a medium sized article which both me and my techer and understand and find relevant.
Quote by opel
@kalnoky7
Please don't make this a joke. I understand you are trying to be humorous which indicates a lack of knowledge about this matter. Whithdraw comrade...

Quote by opel
@the_astronaut
I appreciate your sources, though considering the lack of time, I can't really check any of these out. I was mainly hoping for a medium sized article which both me and my techer and understand and find relevant.

In that case, the first one is decent:

https://www.msu.edu/~sullivan/AdornoMusLangFrag.html

Turns out I pasted the wrong link into my bibliography haha, hopefully my tutor doesn't check it.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by the_astronaut
In that case, the first one is decent:

https://www.msu.edu/~sullivan/AdornoMusLangFrag.html

Turns out I pasted the wrong link into my bibliography haha, hopefully my tutor doesn't check it.

I'll check it out, thanks!
Check out some of the Sibelius symphonies and tone poems. His sense of rhythmic placement highly reflects the tonal stress placement of the Finnish language, which is one of the reasons why his music sounds Finnish even though he uses no Finnish folk music.

Also, consider that music itself is a language that doesn't necessarily always convey a verbal message. Check out the idea of programmatic music. It has its own syntax, grammar, structure, and phrasing, lingual and logical development, yet none of it means anything explicit.

And what about fugues? It is the only physical language that allows multiple speakers at once without sounding chaotic.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 5, 2011,
I see your point, I actually am a fan of Sibelius Finlandia and noticed as well the Finnish presence mentioned by you.

I have actually decided to further angle my point of view on this matter. Instead of the language of music (which I think might bore out some of my colleagues, not all of them appreciate music), I'm going to go with "The emotional influence of music" or "How does music affect our emotions?" if you will.
Any points on that? Sorry for this change
Last edited by opel at Apr 5, 2011,