My dad says he'll buy me a bass, but although I know a lot about guitar buying, I know almost nothing about basses. I've played my friend's bass before and I liked it (I think it's a Schecter of some kind). I'm actually a guitar player, but I think I'll easily be able to transfer my skills to bass.
What I'm saying is I want a bass that isn't a piece of crap and it doesn't need to be the most amazing thing in the world. Max price is probably around 300 or 400 USD. I play mostly rock and metal, and AM willing to go used. So, what should I get?
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Last edited by emaxwelkooti at Apr 5, 2011,
why does your dad wanna buy you a bass??? can't you just ask for cash so you can go buy yourself a guitar or some pedals or something?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I'd like a bass myself, not quite as much as I'd like money to go towards a new amp, but my dad said he won't just give me the money.
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
fair enough, i suppose it'd be something extra to add to your "skills" if you played bass.

i'm not bassist expert but i do know that fender and rickenbacker make good basses... thats pretty much all i know about the bass xD sorry i couldnt be more help!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Thanks for the help
anyone else?
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
look into ltd...
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
If I had to get a bass, I'd try and find an Ibanez ATK300. They were going new from musiciansfriend for $300. My bud owns one, and I must say, it sounds really nice AND has a nice range of tones.

I have been curious about acoustic and semi-hollow basses, mostly because my other friend owns an upright bass, it sounds beastly as shit. I wonder if the acoustic properties give them better resonance than their solid-body counterparts?

Just my thoughts...
I'll check those out, thanks guys.
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Can you get down to a music store? Like guitar this is all about personal choice. I play a MIM Fender P bass which i love. with your money you could maybe get a USA used but def a mexican new.
i second what has been said about the Fender MIM P bass. they are fantastic basses that are very well suited to almost any genre of music, especially rock and metal.
however, i wouldn't bother looking at used USA fenders, with the money you have it's just not worth it.

it is also definitely worth checking out the Squier VM series of basses, as well as some of the CV series. these are great basses that rival the quality of MIM Fenders.

ibanez also make some good basses, however, i strongly recommend you try some out before you think about buying one, because the necks tend to be a love/hate thing, and some of the cheaper models have quality control issues.

and my advice would be to completely ignore all the 'metal' type basses like bc riches, deans etc, because they are poorly built and sound like mud. (same goes for the epi tbird in my opinion, but i know some people who like it).

good luck hope you get something awesome.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Here's a good list:
Used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz
Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz
Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz
Ibanez SR300/400
Peavey Millennium of some variety
Used Peavey Milestone or Fury
Used Yamaha BB414/5

Those should all run you around the $300-$400 range or less. You'll be solid with any of those options. Do you have a bass amp or money for one? Because you'll need one.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You can't really go wrong with a used Ibanez. You can go a bit wrong with a used Fender, a lot of them you find are beaten to crap in my experience. But I wouldn't really be looking at anything else in that price range other than Ibanez and Fender.
Quote by emaxwelkooti
My dad says he'll buy me a bass, but although I know a lot about guitar buying, I know almost nothing about basses. I've played my friend's bass before and I liked it (I think it's a Schecter of some kind). I'm actually a guitar player, but I think I'll easily be able to transfer my skills to bass.
What I'm saying is I want a bass that isn't a piece of crap and it doesn't need to be the most amazing thing in the world. Max price is probably around 300 or 400 USD. I play mostly rock and metal, and AM willing to go used. So, what should I get?

If you keep an eye out and look around, maybe at pawn shops, you can find a used Mexi-made Fender P or Jazz Bass for this price range no problem. It's the standard for rock and metal bass.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by Tostitos
Here's a good list:
Used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz
Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz
Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz
Ibanez SR300/400
Peavey Millennium of some variety
Used Peavey Milestone or Fury
Used Yamaha BB414/5

Those should all run you around the $300-$400 range or less. You'll be solid with any of those options. Do you have a bass amp or money for one? Because you'll need one.

this
no sir away a papaya war is on
look into a Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass its within your price rang and imo its a gret bass its the one i use and i love it probly one of the best basses ive ever played

schector raiden specials
ESP LTD 154dx
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Dean Edge 4 Fretless Electric Bass Guitar

theres just a few others that i belive are nice and i ut pricerage
Also, if you would really rather a guitar amp, why don't you wait until you've saved up dome dough then go haffers with your dad?
the epi tbird has a nice growl when eq is done right but will neck dive with the stock strap button locations. move the top strap button to the neckplate and itll reduce it tremendously. this guy i work with has one and bitched nonstop about the neckdive until he did that
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
toy could try the traben array attack,it has a lot of sustain and EQ options,and you could probably get almost any sound you want out of it.
another recommendation is a squier VM jazz bass.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons