so i've been playing for almost 4 years now and basically i've always focused on my freting hand and my picking hand has got left behind and picked up some nasty habbits. It's not a speed thing either its and overall picking technique, hand postion, the form of the picking going across the strings etc, natural muting of over strings etc that i have seemed to of lost along the way. As soon as i get this unblance fixed i know my playing will be great!. I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures or videos of where the hand postion is, if you should use your wrist pick at the same time as using your forarm etc basic stuff just so i can start practising properly.

many thanks
better shred than dead
Picking should come from the wrist as much as possible. You can use your forearm a little more if you're strumming chords, but the wrist should be 'driving' it. Make sure you're holding the pick only between the thumb and the side of your index finger and that your thumb is straight or bent slightly so the tip is slightly towards your fingers. Don't let it curve backwards into a strange banana shape, this will give you a weird angle on the strings. Speaking of angle, the pick should be at a slight angle to the strings rather than flat against it when you're picking.
That's about it for positioning, look up Paul Gilbert's alternate picking lessons on youtube if you need any more clarity.

As for muting, use the edge of your hand as though you were doing a karate chop and maybe some of your thumb if it feels comfortable. Remember not to hold on to the guitar with your picking hand at all by sticking out your pinky against the body or whatever.
Last edited by SideshowBob180 at Apr 5, 2011,
If you look at different players, including players who can alternate pick really fast and clean, you'll see that each one has his own hand positioning. For example, Gilbert uses a lot of wrist but vinnie moore uses hardly any at all, totally different picking techniques yet both super clean and fast.
Last edited by LennyB at Apr 5, 2011,
Do what's comfortable. Everything else will follow suite.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Do what's comfortable. Everything else will follow suite.

I second this. If it's comfortable and you can do it accurately repeatedly. That's probably the ideal way to do it for your body.
theres just one more thing i need a clarity on. I do use my wrist as much as possible but say if your moving down a scale from your low E only using the wrist then by time i get to the high E string my hand is almost at an 90 degree angle(if i do not change my forarm postion). not that i'm saying this is uncomfortable, im just not sure if its correct, plus all other strings are left open?

just one more quick thing. where do you rest your hand (for muting) on the bridge and half on the strings, just on the strings before the bridge etc?

sorry if i did not explain to well.

thank you.
better shred than dead
Last edited by shredda2084 at Apr 6, 2011,
If you want to synch up your hands, I remember a very good exercise which involved playing a string fretted then unfretted to a metronome, obviously increasing the tempo as you improve.

So for example on any string:

--7--0--7--0--7--0--

Etc. Remember to do this with each finger!

With regards to using your wrist and your arm - I believe that it is best to use your forearm when moving between strings and your wrist once you're at a string. This allows you to get consistent tone across all of the strings.
i dont seem to have a problem with synch. i've just tried using the forearm for moving between the strings and using the wrist once im on the string but you lose that relaxing feeling when just using the wrist. I just cant seem to make it feel right no matter what i try
better shred than dead
Quote by shredda2084
i dont seem to have a problem with synch. i've just tried using the forearm for moving between the strings and using the wrist once im on the string but you lose that relaxing feeling when just using the wrist. I just cant seem to make it feel right no matter what i try

Yeah it's quite weird at first but I think once you get used to it you get the best combination of tone, speed and accuracy. It takes a while to get used to though. Admittedly I often find myself just using my wrist, it's an odd habit to get out of.

A lot of these techniques feel a bit alien when you first try, in fact probably all of them, just because that's not how you're used to playing.