So, i've had these basses in disrepair for a few months now, but FINALLY got around to assembling them this past weekend. I know i'm in the vast minority... but i love red basses. Maybe it's because i'm a ginger... but i think they're awesome.

Bass #1

-'06 Squier Bronco
-Took out a broken stock pup (serously the magnet was in 2 pieces). It's a regular old stratocaster guitar pickup, so any replacement pups should be direct drop ins. I know a lot of guys bork the pickguard and try to jam in some '51 style pups, or spend a lot of $$$ on Fender Musicmaster pups. I got a SD Hotrails strat pup with a holiday GC gift card.
-Replaced the pots.
-Replaced stock knobs with black Fender style amp knobs.
-Minor set-up.
-Elixer Short Scale strings (for now)
-Painted the edge of the 1-ply white pickguard black to give it a little contrast.

VERDICT: This bass is AAAAAAMAZING. I have NEVER been so happy with a project bass as i have with this. The SD Hotrails pup sounds incredible in it! I've had a lot of experience with Fender Mustangs and Musicmasters... and to be honest... Squier slays its big brother when it comes to short scales. If you ever happen to find one, the 90's Squier Vista Series Musicmaster basses are absoloutely astounding! But back to MY bass. It has a nice thumpy short scale tone, but with the new pots, the tone knob offers a lot of tweakability. This bass has a lot of output... by far my highest output passive bass. The best part... the neck. It's no secret that the Bronco necks are leaps and bounds praised more than the heavy necks on the Mustangs and Broncos. The satin finish on it allows easy gliding. I. Love. This. Bass.

TOTAL COST: $65 for the bass. $70 for the pickups (but free due to giftcard). $10 for the knobs (also bought with the gift card). $5 for the pots. So total cost.... $70

Bass #2:

-'96 MiM Fender P bass Squier Series(for those that don't know... the rare-ish 'Squier Series' basses are a strange bird... They are different and equal to the MiM Standards of the time in that they used Squier Electronics and hardware, but surplus MiA Bodies and Necks... i know... i don't get Fender either)
-Had broken after-market SD Quarter Pounders in it... but i don't like those pickups, so i scored a deal on some pickups off of a '62 RI.
-Had strat-style knobs on it that i replaced with more 'Fender P Bass' style silver knobs.
-Replaced pots.
-New DR Hi-Beams
-Painted the pickguard the same as the Bronco.
-Major Set-up. The Bridge is kinda crappy and will be replaced soon. The nut was being wonkey and the A string wasn't sitting in it correctly, producing an annoying rattle when played open. So, i stuffed a lil electricak tape in there and it's as good as new.

VERDICT: Man... there really is nothing like a P bass. However... when that P bass is put together hastily, it can be ugly. For now it sounds 'good'... but i know it can sound 'great'! The output is kinda low, and the Volume knob cuts off WAY too sharply. But, i play with everything open most of the time anyways, so it's really only noticable to me, haha! The tone.... oh man... is AMAZING. Those '62 RI pups are sublime. As soon as i strung it up and started playing i had that moment of... 'yeah, THATs what a P bass should sound like'. The quality of the body and neck are very apparent, and it plays VERY well. All-in-all i'm sure this will be a main-player of mine, and has turned out almost exactly how i thought it would... just, compared to the diamond-in-the-rough that is the Bronco, i wish i could be more excited about the P

TOTAL COST: The bass was free!!! Paid $55 for the Pickup. Everything else i already had lying around... so the total was $55!!

Now... CRAPPY CELLPHONE PIC TIME (unnecessisary flash glare edition!!)

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
HNBD!

that p bass is gorgeous! i am jealous, haha, it's making me want to buy a new bass :P
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Damn it. I want to mod a Bronco, mind if I steal a couple of your ideas for it?

Happy new basses day Din!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Damn it. I want to mod a Bronco, mind if I steal a couple of your ideas for it?

Hey... steal away!!

You should be able to find a cheap used bronco... shoot... even NEW ones are just a bit north of $100. I've even contemplated buying one outright JUST for the Neck to be used on another project, as it's way cheaper than getting a short scale neck from Warmoth/Allparts.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Cheers man.
Broncos are priced stupid over here, around the $350 mark IIRC. It looks like I can get a used one from musiciansfriend here for about $200 so I'll probably go with that.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
HNBD! I saw your thread about this on TB last night and actually drooled over the Bronco.

How does the Hotrails sound?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
HNBD! I saw your thread about this on TB last night and actually drooled over the Bronco.

How does the Hotrails sound?

Yeah.... a few guys over there (*cough* Pilgrim and Darkhorse *cough*) have INCREDIBLE Bronco mods. I used one of their projects as an idea to use the Hotrails.

I was gonna do a re-finish on it to pale yellow... but meh... i like the red.

The Hotrails sound VERY good. I'm bad at describing tones... but they have a wonderful mid-range that will cut through any mix. The output is also hot enough that it LOVES fuzz. One of the first things i did was try it with both my Bluebeard and Bass Muff fuzzes... it's awesome!! I like to roll the tone off on my fuzz, ever so slightly (usually around 11 o'clock), and on most of my other basses, the darkness of both of those fuzzes (especially the bass muff in 'bass boost' mode) can kiiiinda get a little muddy. But with the bronco, i can roll the tone off and still have it cut... so theres like the presence of the bassyness as well as the fuzzyness coming through... if that makes ANY kinda sense, haha!

But yeah, the hotrails were a great investment, and a super easy instalation. Even with stock pots and everything, it sounded FINE. I replace Pots these days moreso out of habit than anything else
HNBD! Man, you found some good stuff. Where did you pick them up, Craigslist?
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender American Standard Precision
Fender MIM Jazz
Gallien-Krueger 1001rb-ii/ 4x10 MBX cab
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by Din of Win
But yeah, the hotrails were a great investment, and a super easy instalation. Even with stock pots and everything, it sounded FINE. I replace Pots these days moreso out of habit than anything else

*ponders buying a Bronco*
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by free4all913
HNBD! Man, you found some good stuff. Where did you pick them up, Craigslist?

The Bronco i got at a local used gear place, for $65. (Free props to Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD)

The Fender P was used by the bassist in my roommate's band, but since he switched to 5 strings he just gave it to me.
Man, the stars sure aligned in your favor. None of the little music shops in my area have any used gear really, and then we have a couple of Guitar Centers. Guess I need to do a little more leg work and look around for smaller shops...Phoenix is too big to not have gems like that.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by free4all913
Man, the stars sure aligned in your favor. None of the little music shops in my area have any used gear really, and then we have a couple of Guitar Centers. Guess I need to do a little more leg work and look around for smaller shops...Phoenix is too big to not have gems like that.

Look around in Pawn shops!!!

The sketchier, the better. You can bank on most pawn shops to not really know the values of instruments. The best deals i've ever seen, outside of yard sales, are from pawn shops... a buddy of mine just scored a Warwick for $120!!
a warwick for 120!!!!!!! where was i when that deal was going on?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by summerson1
a warwick for 120!!!!!!! where was i when that deal was going on?

Right?!?!

Okay... real talk, and not based on any bull****, racist mentality: Some of the nicer basses are played in the Urban Gospel genre... unfortunatly, urban areas also often find people in tough sittuations where needing $ on the short-term is a real-life issue. With those two premises in mind, statistically, it makes sense that some of these awesome gospel bassists may need to pawn their bass for a quick cash bump. So, in my experience, i've seen some crazy amazing basses in some inner city (Baltimore and DC) pawn shops... Sadowsky, Reverend, Nordy, G&L, Warwick, Spector, etc... and like i said, a lot of places don't know the value of what they have and sell them FAR below market value.

I know, ethically, it's SUPER crappy to use someone else's hard times for personal gain... but if you're ALSO hard on $, then a good deal, is just, economically, a good deal. :/

FWIW: I've NEVER bought anything in a pawn shop. I have WAY to large of a guilt-complex and were i to buy a bass from one, i'd be too bummed about the guy/gal that had to let the bass go, than enjoy it myself.
Well, youre giving them money by buying it right? I dont know the ins and outs of actually pawning something, so I may be wrong, for all I know, but I may be right..
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender MIM Jazz
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Pawn shops don't work that way Din don't worry. When you go to a pawn shop, you have two options, get a loan or sell. When you sell it, you agree on a price, and he keeps it for 30 days off the shelves (like GC's used policy) to make sure you didn't rob somebody to sell it. The second option is a loan, which is when you give them the (bass) as collateral, and they give you money, you then get so many days/weeks/months to pay back the difference, or they keep your collateral and sell it. So in the end if you see it on the sales floor, it's the pawn shops property, no longer attached to the musician.

My question to you, is having used Mustangs and now the bronco. How do they compare sonically? I own a reissue mustang (Pawn shop deal itself, though it was actually free to me), and I love it's tone, but it doesn't have what I'd describe as a stable high or low end. Would you say a bronco cuts more and is a bit more clearly defined? I love yours btw, but I do find it funny everyone loves yours and wants a bronco, but when I asked about them last year for the purpose of modifying them, the consensus was I was retarded. I really want to buy one and a GFS strat set of lipstick pickups, and a 5 way switch.
Quote by Din of Win
Reverend

If I saw a Rumblefish in a pawn shop I'd be all over it like stink on shit!

I wish the pawn shops around my hometown had more interesting stuff bass-wise. The best I've seen was a Jazz 24 going for just under $500 a couple years ago.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass