Page 1 of 3
Ok, since this forum is new I was thinking we need a FAQ thread, like many of the other instrument forums do. I'm planning on having multiple sections and anyone who wants to contribute an article is more than welcome

So far I was thinking of

1. Drum kit setup
2. Stick grips
3. Reading drum tablature
4. Basic beats
5. List of drum manufacture companies (Niiko)
6. Kit buying guide (Niiko)
7. Tuning drums/replacing heads
8. Stick guide (MH400)
9. Cymbal guide (Niiko maybe)
10. Drum Rudiments (Skinny91)
11. Playing/creating fills (Skinny91)
12. FAQ/Drumming Do's and Dont's

Any other ideas guys?
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Apr 7, 2011,
Something on practice techniques (metronome playing, etc) and general technique (such as the Moeller method) would be good to have.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Something like a "What Drum Kit Should I Buy" section for peoples different price ranges and stuff. And although its small differences between shell pack, rock and fusion kits, stuff to that extent.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I think we also need a drummers general consensus/do's and don'ts type of thread too. And possibly a reference/links thread that goes to various drum lesson sites/videos etc...
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
I think we also need a drummers general consensus/do's and don'ts type of thread too. And possibly a reference/links thread that goes to various drum lesson sites/videos etc...

...yeah. Like my friend who left his practice dampeners on his kit for too long; his drums went so out of tune that his high tom is lower than his low tom

Too, why only have resources for reading drum tabs? What about the neutral clef?
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

Too, why only have resources for reading drum tabs? What about the neutral clef?

I was thinking tabs since drum tabs are supported on UG
Quote by Niiko

Good idea
Quote by Skinny91
Something like a "What Drum Kit Should I Buy" section for peoples different price ranges and stuff. And although its small differences between shell pack, rock and fusion kits, stuff to that extent.

Alright, sounds good
Quote by fleajr_1412
Something on practice techniques (metronome playing, etc) and general technique (such as the Moeller method) would be good to have.

Good idea
Looks like a lot of work, it's going to be fun though. I'll probably make a start on something tomorrow when I have time off work.

I actually might start a genres thread, so people can share videos of various lessons that cover the basics of certain styles of music. That'll be a good reference thread
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I could just add genres as an addition to the FAQ or something

I'm going to need all the help I can get, but hopefully this can be something really useful
Couple of other things -

-I guess this comes under the other thing I said, but a stick size guide, types of pedals, etc
-Examples of drum songs for beginner/intermediate etc

Also was just thinking it would be good to have a section of drumless and drum only tracks people could download/have youtube links, I dunno if there is a website we could upload them to, I'm not familiar with that sort of thing

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
So many topics to cover, which should we start with?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I could start writing a section on basic rudiments and variations on them (singles, doubles, paradiddles, rolls) and different ways to incorporate them perhaps? Seems like there is so much to do, its hard to know where to start

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I'll start a rudiments thread tomorrow if I can finish it, I should have a few hours after college to get most of it sorted. Or would it be better we keep everything in one thread?

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Yeah, thats cool. I'll write an article on it asap

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I'm not as profficient a drummer as many of you guys are, but I'll help with proof reading when it comes down to it.
Quote by skater dan0
I'll write a beginners guide to buying drums, I'll aim it at people who are buying their first drum set be they experienced or not in playing drums.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I could tab out a couple simple beats if that would be of any help?
Basically, just for practice reasons/getting used to drums/starting to play etc.
Just some simple beats so they get the hang of it you know?

Gimme the word and I'll send them to you.

SKEDIT: If you want/need them/think it would be a good idea.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Last edited by skylerjames13 at Apr 5, 2011,
hell yeah finally a drum forum. been waiting a long time!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Maybe a "Beginner Kit" section or something like that. I imagine this forum will see a lot of new drummers.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
What difference does the thickness of a cymbal make, that's one beginners wonder.
Proper bass drum tightening.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
A stick guide would be good, too
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Nearly finished a beginners buyers guide.

And James May, I think that's a pretty good idea.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

ive been playing for years on and off, i still cant tune a drum for shit :/
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
ive been playing for years on and off, i still cant tune a drum for shit :/

What's your preferred playing style?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
What's your preferred playing style?

prog rock/metal

i really like Axe's drum sounds on Opeths more recent releases(as redundant as that is lol from my other posts)

ive always tried to get that sound, where it like starts high and rounds out and gets lower, i think* you tune the top head higher and the bottom lower, but every time i do it it sounds like ass lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
The stuff listed in the OP seems stellar so far, I'd be more than willing to contribute to almost any of those topics. Something that might be useful is a post for educational resources though, whether it be books or nifty websites or whatever.
Something about locking in with a band would be cool, I'd be willing to contribute it.
Quote by skater dan0
For the Do's and Dont's..

Dont.

1. Don't make double kick the main part of your fills. You'll eventually fall into the trap of doing it in every fill.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by TheReverend724
Yeah... I used to do that

Also guilty. It was so hard to get out of
RIP Tom Searle.
I don't think it's a bad thing, when properly executed it sounds fairly similar to a passing train engine, but yeah, they're easy to overdo since once you get the coordination down you can rip for hours and hours without pause hahah.

I wasn't much into actually playing them for a while though, since I've only been playing double bass since November and I can get up to 270 with just my hands (with singles, doubles and paradiddles are a tiny bit faster)
Last edited by Steve08 at Apr 6, 2011,
Best shells/cymbals/hardware/pedals for 100-200$, 200$-300$, whatever. Best heads per genre of music is a good one too. Learning double bass, best metronome for practicing with headphones.
Quote by llanafreak44
Best shells/cymbals/hardware/pedals for 100-200$, 200$-300$, whatever. Best heads per genre of music is a good one too. Learning double bass, best metronome for practicing with headphones.

+ a million

like they have in the gear forum for amps and stuff
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Page 1 of 3