Hey guys,

So, here's the thing: My birthday's is coming soon, and, as I'm having great marks at school, my parents decide to offer me whatever I want, up until 1500€. I was thinking of buying a guitar or an amp, but I don't know which one should I ask for. My current material is:

amps: rolland micro cube;
bugera 6262 head + marshall 1960 cab;

guitars: Ibanez SAS32EX;
Jackson Pro Series DK2;

acoustic: epiphone Aj200 special edition;

I play in a band, and which ever you advise me to buy, it's got to fit the hard rock- metal sound (acdc, metallica, megadeth, alter bridge, van halen).

So what do you think I should ask for my birthday? If you have some questions, please ask!
If I were you, Id ask myself "Do I truly love my guitars?" And if the answer was yes, meaning I feel absolutely awesome playing teh guitars that I have and find no need for another one (exept, fun owning another good guitar) then Id go for an amp.

In your case, I actually mightve gotten a Mesa 4x12 cab. Running those 2 cabs in stereo would probably be cool And anyway a mesa 4x12 is way better than a 1960.

If I didnt feel like getting another cab, Id probably get a new amp. If its 1500e for some new (not 2nd hand) then Id probably go for a JVM410H or something, just for the heck of it.

All in all, Id probably get the mesa 4x12 if I was happy with teh guitars as you can get some awesome tones out of a Bugera 6262 (believe it or not).

EDIT: what am I talking about. Get an Eleven Rack. Easy recording, good headphone playing and the ability to plug it into a PA for band shows/practises. Gets a million times more points than your current rig in portability.
Last edited by fc89konkari at Apr 5, 2011,
Amp. Find a used JCM800 and a good overdrive. If you really want the Metallica/Megadeath sound, get a JCM800 and a Proco Rat.

Otherwise, where exactly are you located? Go used. You can get amazing amps for 1500 used.

EDIT: That or a new guitar. Honestly I'd take an amp, but that's because I'm more of a GAS fiend when it comes to amps instead of guitars.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I think you should get a new guitar because you already have a nice amp. And then with money left over, you could spend it on cool effects and stuff.
see it you can get a 7 string those are sweet and would really help you with branching out and expanding the metal sound
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Your rig is already pretty good.

+1

this is kind of a tough one- you already have two pretty good mid-range guitars, and a pretty decent budget (but supposedly they sound pretty good when they don't set you on fire) high gain tube amp and nice little modelling practice amp.

There aren't really any weak spots there, and it's not like your guitars are way better than your amps (or vice-versa). I'd be tempted to say to get both a guitar and an amp, but then you run the risk of buying another guitar and amp which are of similar quality to what you already have.

I'd maybe get a new, kickass amp, assuming you like your guitars, but that's just me. Maybe upgrade the trem on the jackson to a schaller OFR while you're at it.

It's really up to you, as i said, there are no glaring weaknesses there, so make sure what you spend your money on is an upgrade etc.

EDIT: do you have any pedals? A decimator and an OD wouldn't hurt to have if you don't have any pedals, and wouldn't really appreciably eat into your amp fund either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 5, 2011,
maybe some bare knuckles on your favorite guitar. maybe look into an overdrive and an mxr 10 band eq. a second cab would be sweet. the 7 string guitar suggestion if you want to do something with that. maybe a good wireless system for gigs? or if all else fails..... hookers.
why don't you get your driving license?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I'd find a used head, maybe a JCM800 like someone above suggested, just for some variation, then spend the rest on some pedals or some new pickups.

I've seen those heads around $600 used around me. but if you go used, and you can find a deal that could be $900 for a new guitar or hell find two used amps, and get a pedal or two.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

this is kind of a tough one- you already have two pretty good mid-range guitars, and a pretty decent budget (but supposedly they sound pretty good when they don't set you on fire) high gain tube amp and nice little modelling practice amp.

There aren't really any weak spots there, and it's not like your guitars are way better than your amps (or vice-versa). I'd be tempted to say to get both a guitar and an amp, but then you run the risk of buying another guitar and amp which are of similar quality to what you already have.

I'd maybe get a new, kickass amp, assuming you like your guitars, but that's just me. Maybe upgrade the trem on the jackson to a schaller OFR while you're at it.

It's really up to you, as i said, there are no glaring weaknesses there, so make sure what you spend your money on is an upgrade etc.

EDIT: do you have any pedals? A decimator and an OD wouldn't hurt to have if you don't have any pedals, and wouldn't really appreciably eat into your amp fund either.

Rack based effects unit?
Or

Axe Fx? Use the Bugera as a poweramp. 1.5K euros can easily fetch an axe plus a decent MIDI pedal. Stick the Bug's preamp in the Axe's loop.

OR

8 string guitar?
Ie Schecter C-8+Mesa 212 cab?
An Ibanez RG2228 might JSUT be in budget......
TC Electronic G Force?
Used Mesa Roadster?
Used HK Triamp?

EDIT: +1 for the axe. That and his current rig=never buy any more amps/pedals ever again.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250
why don't you get your driving license?

Good God I'm waiting for someone else to be the voice of reason in these kinds of posts other than myself. Keep going Tunder, you're on the right track with this.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Good God I'm waiting for someone else to be the voice of reason in these kinds of posts other than myself. Keep going Tunder, you're on the right track with this.

[/sarcasm] ?

im doubting between new amp of my driving license ( im 17 and 1 month XD 18 when im allowed to )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
No sarcasm. It's hilariously dumb/short sighted as a teenage to be like, "I have $1500 coming my way. LEMME SPEND IT ALL ON A GUITAR!"

You see tons of gear going up for sale everyday with kids being like, "Need to sell stuff because I'm going to college/need money." There is 0 reason someone who isn't fully employed needs a $1500 guitar/amp unless their parents are wealthy/extremely generous and bought it FOR them, but if you're given $1500 you should pocket that shit.

EDIT: Or even so, I can't even think of a guitar I want that costs $1500 other than maybe a real ESP, and even then I'd hunt for a used one first at nearly half that price.

EDIT EDIT: For instance, our good man Tom here loves gear, and has had a ton of it in his 20 some years. But he is currently at college I beleive (just judging from what I've read of other posts) and had to sell all of his sweet guitar stuff to do life. Wouldn't you rather have a few grand in the bank at 18 than one really cool guitar?
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
No sarcasm. It's hilariously dumb/short sighted as a teenage to be like, "I have $1500 coming my way. LEMME SPEND IT ALL ON A GUITAR!"

You see tons of gear going up for sale everyday with kids being like, "Need to sell stuff because I'm going to college/need money." There is 0 reason someone who isn't fully employed needs a $1500 guitar/amp unless their parents are wealthy/extremely generous and bought it FOR them, but if you're given $1500 you should pocket that shit.

EDIT: Or even so, I can't even think of a guitar I want that costs $1500 other than maybe a real ESP, and even then I'd hunt for a used one first at nearly half that price.

Why is it dumb? It's their money, and if the kids parents can give him 1500 euro for getting high marks, then it's obvious that they aren't struggling for money.

Regardless, this is extremely off topic.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
good point on the driving license thing- that would definitely be worth considering.

FWIW, any time I suggest/recommend people buy gear, when they say they have a budget, I assume that that money is disposable, i.e. that they won't need to cash in the purchase later for some other more important purchase. Maybe I'm being naive, lol, but you can't expect me to know your financial position.

But I agree wholeheartedly that there doesn't seem to be much pointing in buying high-end gear if it's gonna have to be sold in six months when real life rears its head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A guitar forum isn't really the place to give someone life advice, especially when you don't know their situation.

Let's keep the suggestions gear related to keep an argument from breaking out and to stay on topic.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'd suggest just sitting back & waiting for just the right deal to come along. Like many have noticed, your present gear is adequate for your NEEDS, but now you can be patient & buy what you WANT. You can go to music stores & test out gear knowing that if you find a sweet deal that you can't live without-BAM!- you have the cash right there. You may find a guitar you fall in love with. You may score a killer amp. Who knows?
Me, I believe in spending the vast majority of my gear funds on amps. Most decent guitars play basically (I said BASICALLY ) the same, but good amps are so varied in tones, & amps are the biggest part of your tone besides your skills obviously. If you got an original 1958 Flying V with original PAF pickups (for $250,000), it won't sound much different from your present guitars through a cranked Bugera, but run one of your present guitars through a used Soldano SLO, or a 65 Soho (hey, no laughing at these examples-I'm not biased ), you won't believe how great you'll sound. The difference is staggering. Anyway, if you want a vote, I vote amp
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
id buy a car. or start building a stage rig. You already have 3 guitars seriously dude why do you need a fourth one?

Start building a stage rig. Especially since you're in a band. thats the way to go.

on another note, god I wish I had your parents

Quote by OceansBetweenUs

EDIT EDIT: For instance, our good man Tom here loves gear, and has had a ton of it in his 20 some years. But he is currently at college I beleive (just judging from what I've read of other posts) and had to sell all of his sweet guitar stuff to do life. Wouldn't you rather have a few grand in the bank at 18 than one really cool guitar?

actually its 1500 Euros thats 2133.60 USD

Trust me I wish my parents would give me that money lol I'd buy a welder and make bank, building stuff for people.

Charge car guys 50/hr to make intakes and exhausts for them. all my money issues would be solved for awhile. Then id be able to buy a les paul with my own money.
Last edited by reggaebassman at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
A guitar forum isn't really the place to give someone life advice, especially when you don't know their situation.

yeah, that's pretty much what i was saying- I presume that anyone coming here for guitar gear advice has already done the sums and can afford to buy.

Quote by riffhog
I'd suggest just sitting back & waiting for just the right deal to come along. Like many have noticed, your present gear is adequate for your NEEDS, but now you can be patient & buy what you WANT. You can go to music stores & test out gear knowing that if you find a sweet deal that you can't live without-BAM!- you have the cash right there. You may find a guitar you fall in love with. You may score a killer amp. Who knows?

Agreed, that's what I always do, I always keep some money so that if a kickass deal does come along, I can jump on it.

Though sometimes it feels like you're buying stuff because it's a good deal rather than because you want it, lol. But generally I think it's a pretty good idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
About the driver's license and car subject.. I am already on driving lessons, all payed, and my parents have 3 cars, so they'll lend me one when I get my license. Other than that, I didn't ask for life advises, I asked for gear advises! thank you all for concerning about my future, but, I really just want an opinion about my gear and the way I can improve it!

Ps.: Thanks to all who are giving suggestions, I'm really apreciating!
ah sweet, buy something nice, then.

this is one of the few times in your life when you can just go crazy and buy something, if you wait till you're 25 you might chicken out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Take the $1500.

Invest wisely in the stock market. (McDonald's is a good choice.)

Sit back and watch it rise. Make dividends. Sell it if you ever have a "rainy day."
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)