Hi Pit,

I'm currently looking to get a copy of Windows 7 running on my mac, and can get the student upgrade edition dead cheap.

However, there's a problem. I don't have an actual copy of Windows, I have an OEM license for my old crappy computer that I never really use, but not an actual license that I would be 'allowed' to use on my Mac.

So my question is to those with the tech knowledge to answer: From what I've read some sort of Windows OS needs to be on the mac for Windows 7 to fully upgrade. Can I install the OEM for XP that I have, and then use the upgrade edition to get Windows 7 working?

I'm assuming this is workable, it's just not technically allowed as I'm using an OEM license for another computer.

Thanks!
I've installed the upgrade versions of both XP and Vista on different macs, so it should work. I would first try running boot camp with the version of Windows 7 you have, and if that doesn't work, try installing an upgrade version of Vista or XP and then upgrading to 7.

Oh, and to get upgrade copies just ask your friends. Someone always has one laying around.
Is the OEM already installed?

an OEM only allows one install for one time only because it is linked to the motherboard.. or some technical stuff. I was reading about it the other day.
So you can't uninstall then reinstall it unless you ring up microsoft and give a fake excuse, e.g. your 'pooter died and you are reinstalling on the same machine.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Apr 5, 2011,
The OEM is on an old Dell PC that I've had for ~7 years and I use once every so often, rarely connects to the internet etc. So yes it's installed but they wouldn't really know that would they?
Quote by Silent Murder
Is the OEM already installed?

an OEM only allows one install for one time only because it is linked to the motherboard.. or some technical stuff. I was reading about it the other day.
So you can't uninstall then reinstall it unless you ring up microsoft and give a fake excuse, e.g. your 'pooter died and you are reinstalling on the same machine.

That's only after your 3 installs. Until then you just connect to the internet and it automatically verifies or you call the number and put in the code you're given.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.