like doing guitar intros on bass and solos. I like it if its done nicely and if it fits well on bass.

i ask cause i saw this guy on youtube that played the guitar part solos and all on a 6 string bass and i was disgusted and wanted to know if i was wrong for being so
It honestly depends on whats being played. Some stuff is great, and when the guitarist im playing with cant handle the music ill fill in for him. Only when it fits though
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
like anything that gets transposed to bass it can sound like ass if it's not done right.

I saw a video of someone playing flight of the bumblebee on bass and it sounded terrible, but I have also heard moonlight sonata and it sounded great. It all depends on the piece and how it's played.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
on bass i'v learned lots of guitar lines
the solo to Casey Jones by the Grateful Dead
the triplets part in For Whom the Bell Tolls
to name some
whatever u want to learn you should learn, i like it
Anything can sound good on a bass if its done right.

That being said, guitarists sitting in GC making an attempt to wank away on a 6 string bass generally don't sound good.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
At the end of the day it's just music... the instrument is just a way to express it. Hell you could play the intro on a recorder or kazoo and it won't change the fact that it's still the same music. Play it with the same intensity and emotion as it was done with on guitar and chances are it will work just fine!

Tostitos makes a good point though
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Searchbar Cliff Burton. That answer your question?

In all seriousness, it usually doesn't work because the two instruments usually play completely different roles, and even if you're playing the same notes, you can't effectively transpose the feel or playing idioms. Of course, it goes the other way, too; you couldn't do James Jamerson, Roger Waters, or John McVie justice on guitar, either (to give three examples off the top of my head).

@ TheMooseKnuckle: How many instruments do you play, out of curiosity? Because as eloquent as your post is, I just don't see "Moonlight Sonata" happening on a vuvuzela.

This isn't "Moonlight Sonata", but hopefully Beethovens 5th symphony on Vuvuzela's will do! Modern technology is a crazy thing, the right recording/editing software and you can play the 5th symph on vuvuzela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0pS3rPbwA

And the Mario theme on wine bottles just for fun... you can use just about anything as an instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed4CHkN-Dkw&feature=related

Dont worry be happy, Bobby McFerrin- he does the part of 5+ instruments only using his voice and hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

haha, I have never seen another bassist do Jamerson juctice. But I bet if Jamerson played the Sax he would still sound like James Jamerson! Give BB King a Kazoo he's still going to sound like BB King! You give Miles Davis a Bass and he's going to sound like Miles Davis! Give Stevie Wonder a harmonica and he sounds like Stevie Wonder. The instrument may chage but their voice emotion and message as a musican never does.

For an example take BB King he sings and plays guitar. His song The Thrill is gone... when he plays and sings he uses the same voice... when you hear him play or sing you know it's BB King! His playing and singing go hand in hand. He's a man of very few words but the ones he uses are used wisley. His playing style matches that. His emotion, phrasing, spacing, timing everything is the same... the only diffrence is the instrument is his voice or the guitar.

Music is a language is it not!? If it is then if you say something or write something. Isn't the message you're trying to get across the same? The message shouldnt change just because you had to write it opposed to speaking it. Why would it be any diffrent in music, your just getting your message across using the insturment as a tool just like using pencil to write a letter.
Quote by MetlHed94

Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 7, 2011,
I'll join one of my guitarists on a harmony on some riffs on occasion. Its adds a bit of depth to the riff and breaks the monotony.
Bassists can (and do) get influenced by guitar playing. While bass and guitar should be approached differently, there is some crossover. For example, I learnt a lot about tapping by watching this guy and without the influence of electric guitar there's no way that distorted bass sounds would be as widespread.

What should be recognised that bass and guitar have their respective places in a band environment and if each player tried to play the other's respective parts instead of their own then it would sound wrong!
Quote by obeythepenguin
tHE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE, IS WHAT i'M SAYING. iN OTHER WORDS, HOW YOU SAY THINGS INFLUENCES THE MEANING AS MUCH AS WHAT YOU ACTUALLY SAY. mARSHALL mClUHAN MIGHT NOT BE THE MOST COHERENT GUY, BUT HE MADE A GOOD POINT NEVERTHELESS.

fOR EXAMPLE, i'M SURE YOU'D HAVE A VERY HARD TIME TAKING MY POST SERIOUSLY IF i CONTINUED WRITING IN OVERSIZED CAPS-LOCKED cOMIC sANS.

I've got to check that Beethoven's 5th link, though -- about time someone did something intelligent with that very silly piece.

Haha, bad example I'm an Engineer so everything I type or write is always in caps... the over sized comic sans just gives it character. Way cooler than that undersized boring arial font I use at work

I get what your saying. The way you say something does matter, and I agree. But the medium isnt the message, and the medium doesnt change how you should get your message across. If you write a note on a peice of paper is the paper the message? No, what you wrote is the message, the paper and pen are just tools to get the message across. Even if you use that funny text, who am I to judge it? Hell you could write it in spanish, sure I wouldnt understand it. But the message would still be the same. Is it your fault you wrote it in spanish and I can't read and understand it, nope. That's my problem, not yours!

I do agree, that instruments do have their place "to an extent" in a band setting. But that doesnt make it right or wrong. Music was around long before any instruments ever were, so I find it a bit assisnine to think that something can only be played on one instrument or can't be played on another. It's music man there are no rules... everything about music is subjective, nothing is set in stone. Even music theory is just that a theory!

Heck look at Jaco and James Jamerson. When James started playing usually the bassist played some walking lines off the root and that was about it. But that dude started doing something crazy. While holding down the groove he would play a couter-melody with the singer. Nobody else was doing that at the time, and he created the Motown sound. These two guys are generally regarded as two of the biggest influences in bass history. Why!? Because they both were playing the bass in a way it had never been played until they came on the scene. I can't think of anyone who would have the balls to tell Jaco that's not how you're suppose to play a bass!

IF YOU DO WHAT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE, YOU'LL GET THE SAME RESULTS YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN. THE ONLY WAY TO GET NEW RESULTS, IS TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFRENT!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Here is Victor Wooten playing a duet with Anthony Wellingtong on bass. Tell me a solo this beautiful, should only be played on guitar... when it sounds soooooo good on bass. But I bet Victor could play that on a recorder and it would still sound just as amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtfyKiA0mE

Quote by obeythepenguin
I'll refrain from commenting on that stupid phrase "just a theory," as I believe Richard Dawkins already has that one covered.

Thats the thing it is "just a thoery", until they can prove it they have to call it a theory. Which is why they don't call it music law, they don't say the law of evolution, they don't saw the law of relativity. There is a law of gravity and the law of conservation! Bobby Henderson wrote a book called the gospil of the flying spaghetti monster. In the book he covers how his theory of an omnipitant spaghetti monster created and runs the universe. The sad part is it's just as if not more scientifficaly pluasable than intelligent design and evolution! He uses facts to prove what the religion can't. And he uses blind faith to cover what evolution can't.

"In his religion pirates are the holiest of all beings, he attributes the increse of huricanes, tornados, and volcanos in the last 200 years to the lack of pirates. He even has a line graph to prove it" - the bible cant match that

"In his religion the FSM created an appendix so pirates could keep their gold coins in it, evolutionists have no clue why we have an appendix" - evolution can't explain that

I would recommend it, it's a pretty good read!

Quote by obeythepenguin
McLuhan overstates it for rhetorical purposes (or maybe it's the drugs... yeah, probably drugs), but I'd argue the medium does influence the message as much as anything else does. Language is an interesting one, especially if you consider things like poetry, where the language itself essentially becomes the art. There are Latin poems that literally can't be translated into English; you can get across the individual words (as much as that's ever possible in translation), and you can give someone the gist of the meaning (as much as that's ever possible in poetry), but the poetic qualities are lost because of the drastically different syntax. Latin doesn't impose any fixed word order, so it's much more expressive in that sense.

Your right you and I can’t translate a latin poem into English, and keep the original emotion and intent. But I’m willing to bet that who ever wrote that poem could, they would have to articulate it a little different. But I think it’s a safe bet to assume they could get the same message across regardless of what language they use.

Here is where it seems our philosophies change. I see music as a whole as a language. While it seems you see each individual instrument as a language. Neither is right or wrong, just two different opinions. But I think it may be best if we agree to disagree before we flood this thread with 10 more pages worth of posts
Quote by MetlHed94

Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 9, 2011,
Might be a low content post, but i 100% agree with TheMooseKnuckle. If the Bass filing in for guitar is fitting to the music, then sure, why not. Might not be for everyone, but Bass is a tool. What you can do with it is up to the player, as far as everyone is concerned you can play it with your elbows as long as you go for what you want.

Having said that - Here's a piece which is very close to the subject of Bass being used almost like a guitar. Pete Perez is the guy who plays it in this song. As deceiving as it may sound, keep in mind it still just adds to the lower spectrum of the sound most of the time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjdpG7e2zg

PS: Sorry for Foreign Hangover Grammar and Logic