Poll: Does musical taste prevent you from joining a band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does musical taste prevent you from joining a band?
Yeah, theres no one who will play the stuff I want to play
21 25%
Theres a few people but I can't make a band
30 36%
No, theres plenty of people
15 18%
No, I'm willing to play styles I don't really want to
17 20%
Voters: 83.
I just wondered how many pit dwellers have wanted to start a band but have been unable to do it because the lack of willing participants. I could have been in a band but I decided against it for three reasons. 1) I'd be the third guitarist. 2) Its been decided that I'm a better guitarist than them yet I wouldn't play anything that significant. 3) I want to play different genres.

Its extremely difficult to find anyone who will play in a band that will do jazz, prog rock, death metal and drone metal. Infact I think I'm the only person in my area who would.

So pit, how many of you have been unsuccesful at forming a band because of your musical taste?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Not because of musical tastes but me and my mate tried getting a band together, got everyone but then the bassist said he never wants to play live for some reason, he's gone, turns out my mate can hardly play power chords so that's down the drain then there was just no point.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I was only ever in one group, called Facehead and The Wordsmiths, and it was me (guitar), a trombonist, and a singer. We only performed twice, and dissolved shortly after. I had a lot of fun performing live, and I'm really craving it again (to the extent that I would consider joining a band which didn't necessarily align with my musical tastes, just for the moment).

I remember the singer really wanted the band to sound like some kind of Cake/Phish combination, and I was pretty much ideologically against that, and though we never fought, it was kind of hard to play some of those songs. Also turns out I can only really write song with others
There are people, but the people that have the same taste in music as I do are complete assholes that I do not want to hang out with, so starting a band with them would be bad.

I played one show once, I was supposed to play the guitar, but the bassist dropped out the night before the show, so I had go pick up the bass, and then had a guitarist that didn't know how to play powerchords, the longest 2 minutes of my life. But was fun nonetheless.

I need to try harder.
Last edited by BlacksailsTippa at Apr 5, 2011,
It's difficult, I even thought for sure if I advertised the idea on facebook, even with metal, which seems to be pretty popular now, no responses.
IN LIFE...

IS DEATH

IN DEATH...

IS DEATH
Lame. The point of a band is for all members to contribute there musical preferences to create something that they could not do alone. If the finished product isn't your exact style then guess what, the other members have succeeded in putting a piece of there own into the project.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
where's the "there's a few people but we did form a band" option?
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Wiegenlied
Lame. The point of a band is for all members to contribute there musical preferences to create something that they could not do alone. If the finished product isn't your exact style then guess what, the other members have succeeded in putting a piece of there own into the project.

Yet how can you contribute a piece of your style when the other members refuse anything in your writing style?

Edit: To the above, just go with the plenty of people option, sorry for not putting that option in.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by the bartender
where's the "there's a few people but we did form a band" option?

This
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard
I'm in two bands.
But they're both covers bands, and they're both fairly generic.

I'd love to have a fusion project going or something like that, but there are no fusion players about.

Also, I would start my own sort of John Mayer-ish style project, but my voice is horrible.
I play Judas Priest, Warlord, Yngwie Malmsteen, Flotsam and Jetsam and assorted other 80s speed/neoclassical/power metal. In a land where the only bands in existence that are considered metal are Protest The Hero, BFMV, Three Days' Grace, Slipknot, Children Of Bodom and All That Remains. I can play guitar, bass and drums(though honestly I really don't like drumming, I can't do fast double bass for more than 10 minutes), and I can do backing vocals, but...I can't find any actual singers, just mallcore screamers, same thing for bassists(heck, the two I've found both have trouble playing Crazy Train, and one of them stole a good $50 from my house when I was in a band with him when I first started guitar) and I can't find *A* drummer. I know a rather talented guitarist who I jam with on occasion, but he never shuts up about me being a "closed-minded twat" for not liking ska(I just...don't like poppy music like that, I don't see anything wrong with that but apparently there is), and he lives 4 hours away.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I play Judas Priest, Warlord, Yngwie Malmsteen, Flotsam and Jetsam and assorted other 80s speed/neoclassical/power metal. In a land where the only bands in existence that are considered metal are Protest The Hero, BFMV, Three Days' Grace, Slipknot, Children Of Bodom and All That Remains. I can play guitar, bass and drums(though honestly I really don't like drumming, I can't do fast double bass for more than 10 minutes), and I can do backing vocals, but...I can't find any actual singers, just mallcore screamers, same thing for bassists(heck, the two I've found both have trouble playing Crazy Train, and one of them stole a good $50 from my house when I was in a band with him when I first started guitar) and I can't find *A* drummer. I know a rather talented guitarist who I jam with on occasion, but he never shuts up about me being a "closed-minded twat" for not liking ska(I just...don't like poppy music like that, I don't see anything wrong with that but apparently there is), and he lives 4 hours away.

Protest is more metal than you'll ever be.
Quote by goest
Protest is more metal than you'll ever be.

I get that on a daily basis. o_o I'm tempted to just hit myself in the head until I can bear death vox.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by Enix165

You were cool in my mind when I read Flotsam and Jetsam, but then I read you didn't like ska. I am disappoint.
Quote by Enix165
I get that on a daily basis. o_o I'm tempted to just hit myself in the head until I can bear death vox.

...Have you actually listened to PtH?

Rody has been called "The Canadian Bruce Dickinson"
See sig.
Actually, please do. It's good stuff.

But all promotions aside, I've never had any problems. Maybe it's because I just enjoy music generally, so I'll play mostly anything if it means I'll get to do what I love. Started out in cove bands and bad metal bands, then progressed to better ones as time went by.

And now I have the skill and contacts to actually play styles I'm passionate about. Feels good man.
Quote by goest
...Have you actually listened to PtH?

Rody has been called "The Canadian Bruce Dickinson"

I heard, like, one song and gave up, not my thing. And I don't like Dickinson, honestly. o_o'
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by Enix165
I heard, like, one song and gave up, not my thing. And I don't like Dickinson, honestly. o_o'

Meh. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.
I jam with another guitarist sometimes, but can't find a drummer. Well there was one possibility but his dad sold his drum set so that didn't work. It sucks, because I would love being in a band, I'd be willing to play just about any genre. Except country or glam rock because those suck, and not jazz because I'll never be good enough.
I used to be in a band but both the drummer and bassist moved. At one point there were 5 people willing to play guitar but no one else.
cat
Used to have this problem, wanted to start a band but we only had both the guitars and a bass, since there aren't any good metal drummers or singers in my school. Got invited by another band to try out on bass though and made the cut there, so I don't really have the problem anymore.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
when you and the lead singer are the only ones commited to sitting down and playing together as a unit. My last attempt had the bassist playing "eye of the tiger" over and over again; The drummer playing a 3oh!3 song endlessly, and the second guitarist alternating between "stairway to heaven" and "Beverly hills"...uggg

any similar expiriences?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
i was in this arrogant ****'s band, and he wanted a punk/metal sort of band. i quit when i realized he was more or less going for a my chem rip off.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I'm willing to play styles I don't want to if I'm doing paying gigs. If I'm doing it for my personal benefit for no money then **** everyone else, I can record my own shit by myself.

I was in a couple of bands though and the last one I was in broke up because the singer/guitarist just wasn't in it like me (drummer) and the bassist, we weren't bad and if we would've kept going I'm sure we could've played at some cool places. It was tough to take that one in cause we had similar music tastes and were all decent at our instruments.
Click here

I just find it hard to find people with drive. Every band I've in plays for twenty minutes, then devolves into scrolling through someone's iPod going "We could do this song!" "No we couldn't. Too hard." "What about this?" "I hate that song." "What about original songs?" "Who the hell would want to hear us write?" until someone goes inside to play on whatever console is hooked up to the living room TV at the house of whoever we're practicing at.

I'm fine with weird lineups or conflicting tastes. That's how you make cool fusions and different sounds. What I hate is it fels like I'm the only one who has any drive, and either I take over as the de facto leader and everyone gets pissed that someone's bossing them around, or I sit and watch the band sit with no drive whatsoever.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Quote by 剣 斧 血

Its extremely difficult to find anyone who will play in a band that will do jazz, prog rock, death metal and drone metal. Infact I think I'm the only person in my area who would.

Move over here and let's get on it.

Seriously though, that is exactly what I want to play.
Quote by Lion_Slicer
I jam with another guitarist sometimes, but can't find a drummer. Well there was one possibility but his dad sold his drum set so that didn't work. It sucks, because I would love being in a band, I'd be willing to play just about any genre. Except country or glam rock because those suck, and not jazz because I'll never be good enough.

Country is one of the coolest genres around man. Don't listen to the country on the radio though. That's not country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7M3EEHYkJ0
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I'm in a band with my friends, cause I enjoy playing, simple as that.

But I wouldn't say that it's my dream band, seeing that our music (tough guy hardcore; think Hatebreed) isn't really the kind of hardcore I REALLY want to play (I'm a melodic hardcore guy: Title Fight, Transit, Lifetime of course, etc). But I enjoy playing so we try to make it work. I guess because they're my friends. But the kind where you just meet a bunch of musicians, and then you play, but you really don't get their music, I can assume that in that case I would really be tough.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

Quote by guitarxo
I used to be in a band but both the drummer and bassist moved. At one point there were 5 people willing to play guitar but no one else.

Guitar orchestra yo.

Soundscapes and droney shit. It'd be brilliant!

I've never had difficulty finding people to play with...it's just that they're all either complete metalheads or are completely against heavy music.
I'm very lucky to have my current band...they all listen to music i listen to so we all get along well!
And they're willing to experiment a lot.
I play bass in a metal/hardcore-ish band, ideally, I'd be playing guitar in a po-punk/indie rock band
The band I'm in's pretty fun now I'm used to it anyway, you should just give it a chance.

The only band I was ever in was this Atmospheric Black Metal/ Depressive Suicidal Black Metal/ Doom Metal band (the other guitarist changed between these frequently, depending on the type of band he was listening to at the moment,) and that ended poorly, mostly because everyone got really annoyed with everybody else. The drummer never showed up, the bassist wanted to play in his metalcore band more, and the other guitarist got pissed off with me for whatever reason. Now, I can't find anyone else who wants to play any form of music. But I'll blame that on my musical tastes, and the close-mindedness of the people around me.
I over think things: my playing style, while not complex in terms of soloing, is pretty complicated - some of my more complex songs (I'm primarily a rhythm player) have 10+ non repeating sections to them, as well as fast changes on variations of each chord, and it's something i would find hard not to break out of. i also like to screw around with basslines and such with chord inversions (and i use those inversions to make simultaneous melodies). I also use dissonance and chromatisicm quite a lot. it would piss them off unless they also liked that avant garde sorta thing.

Why won't anyone jam with me?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger