I have a question about humbuckers. I want to put some new pickups in my Epiphone G400 custom, but I'm not sure what kind I want. Just for reference, here is an example of the type of tone i'm shooting for....

Feel free to turn it up and rock the F*CK out before answering my question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pJORzDHYs&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pJORzDHYs&feature=related

I'd like to get something similar to the rhythm tone at around :12 in the video, but maybe with the bottom end tightened up ever so slightly, and I definitely wanna avoid a death metal type scooped sound. I want a good aggressive midrange without turning everything to mud with a lot of gain. The stock Epiphone version of 57 classics are a little loose on the low end and are missing some of the bite I'm looking for. Are all PAF type pickups going to have these same issues with that much gain or is it just the quality of the Epiphone pickups that sucks? If it's just the epi pickups, how would a classic medium output PAF work compared to a "PAF on steroids" type thing? I'd like to find the lowest output pickups that will give me the sound I want. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
link didn't work

FWIW, out of what I've tried, epi pickups are pretty muddy, so higher quality pickups of a similar output and tone will probably have a tighter low end with less mud, but at the same time won't be as tight as a pickup aimed at being tight. If that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Woops. Here's a better link. I want something like the rhythm tone in the intro.

I get what you're saying. The descriptions pickup manufacturers give are usually just awful and meaningless so I thought I'd ask people who spend more time playing than coming up with advertising slogans. Saying a pickup is great for "rock" is like saying a hammer is good for "fixing things". Sometimes when something is broken, taking a hammer to it will just break it more. The Beatles and Metallica are both "rock" bands, but it's tough to sound like metallica with a Rickenbacer and an AC30.

Follow up question: What's the word on GFS pickups? Are they the real deal or do they sound like you would expect 25 dollar pickups to sound?
Last edited by jon.peebles at Apr 5, 2011,
yeah, i know what you mean regarding the advertising

I haven't tried GFS- I hear conflicting reports too. Some people say they're great, some people say they're great for the money, and I've also heard some reports saying that they don't always contain the parts/components that they claim. I also think some models are meant to be a lot better than others (though I don't know which ones those are, lol).

what amp do you have, out of interest? I think I could get a tone similar to that with most humbuckers if I had an amp which was aimed at that type of tone. I'm not saying some pickups wouldn't do it better than others (i'd probably look at reasonably hot alnico V or ceramic passives, but not the really ridiculously high output br00tal ones), but yeah if the amp is capable, most half-decent humbuckers should "work".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?