Page 1 of 2
okay. so i'm english and, like most of us, I have little to no understanding of american people.

i've seen plenty of american films and it seems that american high schools are pretty sh*tty places to be.

so what are they actually like? does every stereotypical group have their own table in the lunch hall? do all the 'jocks' act like tossers all the time? does everyone treat the end of year prom like its the biggest thing thats ever going to happen to them in their lives?

i'm just curious to know if the films exaggerate everything as they tend to do.

cheers.
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
Quote by genghisgandhi
Facebook has done a lot to end that "social hierarchy" in high school. So no, there are none.

At least we don't have chavs.

yeah chavs piss me off more than cold bacon sandwiches
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield
okay. so i'm english and, like most of us, I have little to no understanding of american people.

i've seen plenty of american films and it seems that american high schools are pretty sh*tty places to be.

so what are they actually like? does every stereotypical group have their own table in the lunch hall? do all the 'jocks' act like tossers all the time? does everyone treat the end of year prom like its the biggest thing thats ever going to happen to them in their lives?

cheers.

Movies exaggerate it, but that doesn't mean it isn't somewhat based in reality. Jocks do tend to be a little cockier than other kids, just not bullies. There a still social cliques that ten to gravitate away from others. Prom is a big deal for girls and guys just want to get laid.

I would assume they are not that much different from the people at high schools in the UK.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Everything non-Americans think about America is 100% true all of the time, anyone who tells you different is LYING.

Cookie for reference.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield
yeah chavs piss me off more than cold bacon sandwiches

our high schools, depending on what part of town you're in, are actually pretty normal and not much like movies show them to be.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
There are cliques, but they aren't stereotypically portrayed like in the movies. It's just people who have grown up together who remain friends and hang.

Douches are prevalent everywhere.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Cliques exist, jocks are dicks, popular girls are pricks, there are some hicks in the mix.....that's all i got. Movies do exaggerate the "craziness" a bunch though.
Quote by Cb4rabid
Nope. People dont fit into lockers either.

Actually, they do! There was a girl in my tutor group at school who could climb into her locker and shut the door. She could do it very easily in year 7, and could still just about manage it in year 11.

Of course, she was very tiny. And I have no idea why she'd want to get into her locker. But it is definitely possible, for very small people
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Meh, it's nothing to write home about.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by esther_mouse
Actually, they do! There was a girl in my tutor group at school who could climb into her locker and shut the door. She could do it very easily in year 7, and could still just about manage it in year 11.

Of course, she was very tiny. And I have no idea why she'd want to get into her locker. But it is definitely possible, for very small people

Well in my school, there are only about 100 lockers (about 4000+ people in the school) and you can barely fit two textbooks in there, so atleast where I am, its physically impossible to get in those lockers.
pinga
Jocks tend to be on the "top of the chain" but there are exceptions. There are cliques and often people who claim lunch tables. But movies are gross exaggerations, my high school was nothing like in a movie
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Every group of friends typically does have their special table that they always use at lunch. but thats it. oh, and yeah, most jocks do tend to be a bit more popular and what not.
If you watch the music videos for:
Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag
IMA Robot's Creeps Me Out
Offspring's Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
Hellogoodbye's Baby It's Fact
Escape the Fate's Situations

That's the high school I went to. It looks just like it does in all the music videos. U.S. High schools are always stereotyped. Everybody in the school basically chilled with whoever they wanted to. I had friends who were on sports teams, in dance, in music, in the business program, etc. There really wasn't bullying at the school; it was basically if you don't like someone, don't talk to them
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Cb4rabid

At least.....not in one piece....>_>

I would say the drama part of the movies is pretty accurate, but a lot of stuff is overblown in the movies, granted, the public education system in America is pretty poor, and the teachers think it's the best thing in the world, next to sliced cheese.
For your learning pleasure of useless knowledge, please refer to the following films that best reflect the high school American experience according to the decade:

1950's: Blackboard Jungle, Rebel Without a Cause
1960's: The Warriors
1970's: The Outsiders
1980's: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
1990's: Higher Learning
2000's: High School Musical
2010's: TBD

Other than that, i'd say yes. Except for the fact that you get expelled much easier than they let on, it's exactly like you see on tv. Worse.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Yeah, the OP is spot on. It's true...
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
What's not shown in films is that each classroom typically has its own jacuzzi. You get 3 passes a week to use it. This is pretty normal. So bring your swim trunks/speedo to class everyday.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
My school definitely has clicks, people tend to hang out with those who live near them or do the same sport as them. So this typically means the wealthy students don't hang out with the poor ones, and the athletic ones don't hang out with the non athletes. Blacks hang out with blacks, whites with whites, mexicans with mexicans. And typically you have around 20 guy friends, and about 20 girl friends too, and if you are going on a date/ have a girlfriend it is a girl from that group of 20. It's not uncommon to date three best friends over the course of high school.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by kaptink
American high schools, where everybody is good-looking and over 25.

This. That's the worst thing about high school movies; the kids are played by ****ing adults.

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Quote by Cb4rabid

Well in my school, there are only about 100 lockers (about 4000+ people in the school) and you can barely fit two textbooks in there, so atleast where I am, its physically impossible to get in those lockers.

Ahh...ours were about this size:

But way older and more battered lol. The locks on them were a total joke as well, it was possible to pick the lock on someone else's locker with your own locker key. Ahhh highschool, how totally I don't miss you.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by mystical_1
For your learning pleasure of useless knowledge, please refer to the following films that best reflect the high school American experience according to the decade:

Other than that, i'd say yes. Except for the fact that you get expelled much easier than they let on, it's exactly like you see on tv. Worse.

In the 2000's, everybody in high school broke out in spontaneous song and dance?

Wow, I did not know this. My school must be pretty boring then.
pinga
There are different cliches but there are always people that intermingle. It's all horribly exaggerated.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield

cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Facebook has done a lot to end that "social hierarchy" in high school. So no, there are none.

At least we don't have chavs.

Explain how?

My school doesn't have the entire caffeteria split up into groups but there is a table where the freaks (metalheads) sit, a table where the preps/popular kids sit, a table where the stoners and drug dealers sit (I sit there!) and then everybody else kind of does their own thing.
Quote by Cb4rabid

I can and I'm not that small.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
It's pretty much regular school, except for certain times of the year when it's a bit different.

/meaninglesspost
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I can and I'm not that small.

It would be impossible to get me into my high school locker and I'm tiny. Impossible while I'm still in possession of all my limbs.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well i can't speak for all highschools and not to mention american but my high school is NOTHING like those movies, we have no cliques or anything like that really. You hang out with pretty much anyone you wanna hang out with, they can be horribly nerdy or a prepster, it doesn't matter.

I like it that way, makes alot more sense than being segregated into groups
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
“High School is closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of.”
- Kurt Vonnegut

One the topic of films, while it isn't terribly realistic, "Lord Love a Duck" is a great movie concerning the American high school in the mid '60s, and might feature the first Saved-By-The-Bell/John Hughes-esque principal ever.

EDIT: Is it wrong that I only remember the difference between "principle" and "principal" from that episode of the Simpsons? (where Mr. Skinner tells the kids he's their 'princi-Pal")
Last edited by thewho65 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by mystical_1

Wasn't the Outsiders in the 50's?
It really just depends on the school. There are a lot of really good ones and a lot of really shitty ones.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by mystical_1

We need some more warriors all up on this *****
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Page 1 of 2