Hey guys, I am in a bit of a pickle.
A lot of cymbals have been sneaking it's way into my snare mic, this is probably because my drum room has yet to be acoustically treated.

Now, is there a plug-in that will only let the loud snare hits through or do I have to go and cut all the sound out of the middle of each snare hit?
I think I'm looking for a gate but I dunno if that is right.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Do you know of a good tutorial for this?
I have been looking and can't find any that help cause I don't even know how to use a gate

also, any specific gates you would recommend would help too.
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Apr 5, 2011,
if you miked your snare right you wont get enough cymbals in there to make much of a difference (except hi hats...)

if you HAVE to get them out, use a gate or just chop out any significant section that doesn't have any snare hits in it.
Quote by Kyleisthename
Do you know of a good tutorial for this?
I have been looking and can't find any that help cause I don't even know how to use a gate

also, any specific gates you would recommend would help too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjaHXtGrgts
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
Quote by sandyman323
if you miked your snare right you wont get enough cymbals in there to make much of a difference (except hi hats...)

if you HAVE to get them out, use a gate or just chop out any significant section that doesn't have any snare hits in it.

That's pretty much right on. I don't think treating your room will help a whole lot with cymbal bleed into the snare mic. It will help your overhead and room mics though.

Mic choice and placement is really going to make the biggest difference. If your drummer is cool with it, you can even try moving cymbals away from mics that are picking up too much bleed.

I usually end up automating the gate to turn on when there is hi hat bleed and off when there is not. If there's a long passage where there aren't any snare hits I might mute the track for a while. Same goes for toms.

Your going to want to set the attack as fast as possible. I've even copied the track and shifted it ahead of time by a few milliseconds and fed it into the side chain of the gate to make it open up quicker. As far as release times and threshold, that really depends on the kind of snare sound you're after and bleed level.