Here's the story: I'm currently looking to upgrade my head and I had my heart set on a used Trace Elliot Speed Twin head. I'd even agreed to sell some of my other gear at a significantly lower price than I wanted knowing I'd just have enough cash to cover it. Now it turns out the TE head has been sold just the other day and I'm left looking for another hot rodded marshallesque amp in brisbane for A$500 and I just don't think it's going to happen. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I'm chasing a gained up classic metal tone ah-la Children of Bodom and decent cleans as well. Happy to go used and I could probaby stretch to $600 if I really had to. Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appriciated.
I've never been to Australia, but I've been to New Zealand, & know how brutally difficult it is to get great gear Down Under, without being raped. I'd seriously suggest saving up as much cash as you can, & watch ebay for amp deals. Even if you find something on ebay that's in the USA, there's plenty of people who'll ship to you. I've shipped several pedals to buyers in Russia with no problems with added taxes or duties. Amps would be a different story, though, because it's risky shipping stuff to Russia. Australia should be a piece of cake.
I know the shipping of an amp head or combo may be $200 AUS, but if you want serious gear Down Under, it may be the best way. Just suck it up & count that in your cost. I know that when you resell good gear down there, you'd get your money back out of it.
Musician's Friend ships to AUS too.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/international

I don't know what your import taxes/duties would be though, or if it counts for used items sent by mail? That could be a dealbreaker. Good luck, man!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Thanks dude. I have looked into gear from the states before and it's doable, however anything over $1000 attracts import tax, gst etc. so that's another cost on top of shipping. Also i'd need to either get it converted to run 240v mains power or buy a transformer which are often unreliable for long periods of use. Added to that I really can't justify spending any more cash than I have at this point. It's not just a matter of saving, I just have too many other commitments to justify spending more money on gear. Anyways, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.
Quote by riffhog
I've never been to Australia, but I've been to New Zealand, & know how brutally difficult it is to get great gear Down Under, without being raped.

Traumatic experience on Gumtree, Randy?

Was it like Deliverance, but with sheep?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The 6505+ combo would do perfectly, since thats what Alexi uses last I checked. You *might* be able to get that down to you for under $1k AU.
Hey Waylanderau! If you're looking for that hella raw C.O.B. sound then I implore you to check out this sick piece of gear! Don't let it's size fool you, this thing puts out one heck of a tough and br00tal sound! Best price/performance around by far, you would be stupid not to pick this up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-MONITOR-STANDARD-SERIES-260-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-/370494076504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56432af658

Oh yeah, You can thank me later. Nuff said.
Quote by Chimpout
Hey Waylanderau! If you're looking for that hella raw C.O.B. sound then I implore you to check out this sick piece of gear! Don't let it's size fool you, this thing puts out one heck of a tough and br00tal sound! Best price/performance around by far, you would be stupid not to pick this up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-MONITOR-STANDARD-SERIES-260-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-/370494076504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56432af658

Oh you.

Serious answer for TS: get yourself a Laney GH50/100L. They're going dirt ****ing cheap in Aus these days, I see GH50L's sell for $500 every month. 100's go for anywhere between 600-800.
The 6505+ combo would do perfectly, since thats what Alexi uses last I checked.

Uhhh I don't think he ever used that amp.
Maybe it was the other guitarist then - I remember seeing one on stage when I saw them 2-3 years ago.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Maybe it was the other guitarist then - I remember seeing one on stage when I saw them 2-3 years ago.

the 6505+ is a chinese combo, i really doubt any of them touched it, possibly the american made 6505 ort 5150 :/
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by Chimpout

That's gold. Soooooooo temped to buy it just for shits and giggles.

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I won't be going the peavey route though. As I said before, I'm not a huge fan of the 5150/6505 sound (or rather the sound I get from them) for some reason they just don't work for me (Possibly making me unique among the world's metalheads). There's actually a couple of 6505 heads on gumtree right now for around the $1500 mark but I just can't go that high budget-wise. As I mentioned, for me it's not just a matter of saving, I could probably scrape the cash together for one of the used peaveys or go and get finance on a new Engl head at Billy Hyde, but that still means there'd be 1000s of dollars I wasn't spending on my car loan or a house deposit. The Laney sounds like it might be a goer though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those. On that subject what are the laney LV300s like? (I realise they're a hybrid but that doesn't bother me) There's a guy doing an LV300 head + matching box for just over $700