Hello,
I am going to start giving guitar lessons to a close friend of mine in the next week or so but the only problem is I actually don't know where to start?

Should I just teach him chords and just go over songs that have a simple progression or would there be a better way to start?

Thanks,
Mark
Everyone has their own teaching style. I would go along the route you're thinking of, start with open chords and songs that use them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The first thing to do is get the person at least somewhat comfortable holding the instrument. The moment someone becomes truly comfortable with an instrument to where it is strange not having it is when learning really takes off; likewise a student will have difficulty learning if they feel they are fighting the instrument in unnecessary ways.
Basically listen to the guys above, teach 'em G C D open chords. I can't give you much adivice as I've only tried it with one of my friends and he quit a few months after. Hope you have better luck than I did, good luck man.
If you're stuck for ideas you can always buy one of those "guitar for beginner" books and follow along with that.

I did something similar I am helping my friend with video lessons over skype (he lives to far too actually play together). But I found I just taught him the basic stuff and he pretty much drives most of the lessons himself. He will come to me with questions about things he wants to learn and suggest the pieces of music he is interested in and roll that way. I am no guitar teacher and I don't pretend to be honestly the way I deal with it is just teach as a friend. If their technique is off show them how to improve it things of that nature. Discuss theory with them (start basic) if you know it.

Hope that helps.
Quote by star-dad
Hello,
I am going to start giving guitar lessons to a close friend of mine in the next week or so but the only problem is I actually don't know where to start?

Should I just teach him chords and just go over songs that have a simple progression or would there be a better way to start?

Thanks,
Mark

I find that at the very beginning, students have a hard time with chords.

I start with simple melodies in 1st position. I give them time to get acclimated with the basics before getting them into chords. These are what I use as indicators that the student is ready to try chords....

1) they are able to consistently & properly fret notes.
2) they are able to consistently & properly pick the strings
3) their calluses have started to build.

For some students it's the 2nd lesson, for others it's a month or so into it.
You really have to make your judge based on what the student can handle.

Quote by Dangertux
If you're stuck for ideas you can always buy one of those "guitar for beginner" books and follow along with that.

Hope that helps.

^this is also a good idea.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 5, 2011,
I always teach my friends Wonderwall some open chords, and then Barre Chords as soon as they're ready. Note: Only teach 'em barre chords if they're ready and want a challenge.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.