I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think it is, and a search didn't turn up anything like this that's already posted.
I started listening to dubstep recently (commence flaming, I assume), and I do like the dirty dirty wobbly bass sounds that are used in pretty much every dubstep track ever.
Is there any way to get this kind of sound using a bass guitar and FX pedals? Maybe with an EHX Pog and some kind of oscillating filters? I'm really not too sure, it's just a sound I'd really like to be able to experiment with, but I have next to no idea how one would go about achieving it with a bass guitar in a live setting.

Edit: OK, yes, I do know that they use synths, not actual bass guitars, I was just wondering how you could transfer the sound from a synth to a bass.
Last edited by theknuckster at Apr 6, 2011,
You might want a flame shield.

Most electronic and dub effects are done with synths, you take a basic note from a bass guitar or even a synth recording and you modulate it, usually with sine waves for the wobble. Some artists use distortion too

And it's pretty much impossible to make new electronic live, most live performances are just DJing what is already a full track/set and modifying it.
It's all synths. However, you may want to see what kind of rig pendulum uses bass wise, but I'm pretty sure the bass just works along side the synthesisers, albeit using lots of effects and rackmount stuff... but you won't get the full bass range from just the guitar.
You would DEFINITELY need a synth pedal of some sort. I remember I had a really cool synth/octaver setting on my old Line6 UX-1 that sounded just like Dubstep bass. The problem was it got very muddy if you played any low-low notes.
First of all they are using synths. THey do not use sine waves for wobble but rather generally to emphasize the fundamentals in the bass tones. Of course using doublers especially combined with octavers can help make your tone thicker. However it possible to achieve more tones with a bass in dance able music.

Moog low pass filter pedal with a couple of expression pedals does a great tricks to do tone.

Also definitely want to look at a dual band compressor with an adjustable crossover freq like a rane dc24. FEA labs also makes one. Pretty essential to being able to control peaks in lowbass notes in that music and still have highs that sound clear.

Of course to truly acchieve a full range of tones you need synthesizer.
Filter controlled lfo effects, maybe a WMD Super Fatman or something, to get you in the ballpark anyway.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by Kev_369
Filter controlled lfo effects, maybe a WMD Super Fatman or something, to get you in the ballpark anyway.

You mean filters controlled by lfos btw. You can get a moog lfo moogerfooger as well with the filter if you want to control effects that way. But personally i just use playing attack and/or expression pedals.
Quote by Ibanez20th
You mean filters controlled by lfos btw.

Haha yeah I posted that and was like somethings not right here, was wondering if anyone would notice

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Thanks guys, I couldn't find anything else anywhere. I'll have fun testing out a heck load of pedals now, so thanks for the advice!